Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Smartest Cities shortlist

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

A big deal is being made about the lack of American cities in the list of 'intelligent cities'.

I would like to point out that Dundee in Scotland is in the list.  Surely if the people of Dundee were so smart, they wouldn't be living in that sh-thole?

Makes me doubt the veracity of this whole 'intelligence' thing.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Tensor

Could be worse - is not like Sunderland made the list.

Oh. My. Gosh.

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

Dr Herbie wrote:
    I would like to point out that Dundee in Scotland is in the list.  Surely if the people of Dundee were so smart, they wouldn't be living in that sh-thole?

Well, I have no idea why Dundee is in the list either. Last time I was looking for a job there was very little in Dundee. I eventually moved to Glasgow.

• User profile image
    Massif

What peculiar methods are they using? I mean, neither Oxford nor Cambridge, both cities where the population is dominated by elite universities made the list, but Sunderland did?

Is this average IQ across the city? A random sampling? Give me specifics!

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

Massif wrote:
    ...neither Oxford nor Cambridge, both cities where the population is dominated by elite universities made the list, but Sunderland did?

I can't say anything for Oxford, but I have stayed in Cambridge a few times and while the elite flock to the university, some of the locals aren't the brightest. The city has its fair share of dullards and petty criminals. (Just like most places really).

• User profile image
    Bas

Massif wrote:
    What peculiar methods are they using? I mean, neither Oxford nor Cambridge, both cities where the population is dominated by elite universities made the list, but Sunderland did?

Is this average IQ across the city? A random sampling? Give me specifics!

From the article:

The ICF selects the Intelligent Community list based on how advanced the communities are in deploying broadband, building a knowledge-based workforce, combining government and private-sector “digital inclusion,” fostering innovation and marketing economic development.

• User profile image
    fdisk

In the U.S., Cleveland was a semifinalist last year.

Cleveland.

lol

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

....where Research In Motion is located....hehe

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I'd like to see the population demographics of those finalists cities.

:O

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.