Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Locking some threads

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sampy

Threads about impeaching Bush (no matter who's calling for it) and the faith of those who head my company have quite a bit of lock potential in them.

I'm always very hesitant to bring out the yellow padlock but these threads are getting quite heated. Try to keep the personal hating down to a minimum guys. I'll be checking back before lunch (in about an hour or two) and I'll start locking things that are getting out of hand.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hi sampy. Are you also speaking about the thread I created? I think my original post isn't offending somebody... or is it?

Btw. you should reply to the threads and tell the people to calm down or you lock it, instead of creating a new thread. New created threads on the same topics are likely to go the same direction as the one you refer to... That has happened so often in C9 history.

• User profile image
    billh

I was also asking a very serious question...and ultimately, the only one that really matters. Just let me know if you ever want to do a serious Bible study here...it's actually a great deal more interesting than it sounds. And...there's a substantial amount of evidence to back up Biblical events as well references to New Testament activities by non-religious scholars/historians. Plus, several passages of the Bible are quite interconnected with each other.

• User profile image
    littleguru

billh wrote:
    I was also asking a very serious question...and ultimately, the only one that really matters. Just let me know if you ever want to do a serious Bible study here...it's actually a great deal more interesting than it sounds. And...there's a substantial amount of evidence to back up Biblical events as well references to New Testament activities by non-religious scholars/historians. Plus, several passages of the Bible are quite interconnected with each other.

We had so much discussions about that here... religious discussions. It all ended up to a total mess and everybody was saying: I'm right and you are wrong.

Don't let us start another, as the outcome is going to be the same... statistically speaking Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sampy

While good discussion has occured in parts of the thread, I'm more worried that we may have run out of content and are moving into personal attacks. I'll keep an eye on them and ensure they stay high on signal.

RE: Bible study

This is not the forum for those sorts of things. I know that it is important to many people but there are plenty of other great forums that cater to this sort of talk. Like littleguru said, you're likely to get fighting rather than discussion. Let's try and stick to tech and all things developer rather than faith.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sampy wrote:
    Let's try and stick to tech and all things developer rather than faith.

I think the Coffehouse should be about casual discussions, with a technical flavour, since we are all techs (or most) here. It's a place to hang out, not to offend people! But it should be a place to express the own opinion... It's a coffee house.

• User profile image
    billh

Sampy wrote:
    This is not the forum for those sorts of things. I know that it is important to many people but there are plenty of other great forums that cater to this sort of talk. Like littleguru said, you're likely to get fighting rather than discussion. Let's try and stick to tech and all things developer rather than faith.
    Even if I illustrate the various interconnected passages that are in there? Or how archaeology supports it? What if I go off and develop Biblically-related software (which I most likely will do)? Then what?

• User profile image
    Sampy

I'll be more clear.

The Coffeehouse is not for Bible study. Please take that somewhere else. It's going to cause problems here like it always has.

re: Causal discussion

Yeah, just chatting is fine as long as we're not screaming at each other.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Sampy wrote:
    I'll be more clear.

The Coffeehouse is not for Bible study. Please take that somewhere else. It's going to cause problems here like it always has.

re: Causal discussion

Yeah, just chatting is fine as long as we're not screaming at each other.

Which threads were acting as Bible Study? The only ones I saw were "impeach Bush" nonsense.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Sampy wrote:

Threads about impeaching Bush (no matter who's calling for it) and the faith of those who head my company have quite a bit of lock potential in them.

But why?

Sampy wrote:

I'm always very hesitant to bring out the yellow padlock but these threads are getting quite heated. Try to keep the personal hating down to a minimum guys. I'll be checking back before lunch (in about an hour or two) and I'll start locking things that are getting out of hand.

hating is a strong word.

• User profile image
    billh

Sampy wrote:
    I'll be more clear.

Well, who is exactly causing the problems? Is it due to a lack of understanding, or due to the fact that you don't believe in Scripture...this is starting to remind me of the discussion with Charles where he talked about how Newton was an athiest or whatever, and then I came across numerous sites which explained that Mendel, Pascal, Newton, and even the guy who came up with the Star Catalog were actually believers.

And, you didn't answer my question of what you will do if I write Biblically based software.

• User profile image
    nightski

If you were capable of writing such software you would know that writing the software would have nothing to do with faith or the bible.

Software development is really quite independent of the data it is displaying.

I.E. You wouldn't need to know much about the bible to write bible software.

I really like the tech discussions on this site.  It would be nice to stay away from politics/religion.

• User profile image
    billh

nightski wrote:
    If you were capable of writing such software you would know that writing the software would have nothing to do with faith or the bible.

Software development is really quite independent of the data it is displaying.

I.E. You wouldn't need to know much about the bible to write bible software.
    Oh, I'm quite capable (sorry to burst your bubble, Sampy) but yes, you would need to know about the Bible in order to properly write something. I'm not talking about writing yet-another-database program and then dumping a bunch of text into it and giving it a shiny new frontend.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Sampy wrote:
    RE: Bible study

With all due respect, there is no difference between the Religious threads and the Political threads...if you request that one be avoided due to statistics of its development in the past, please follow through and request that people not bring up politics here either, for it does the same thing.

• User profile image
    whatup

@billh - http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=BBC+Documentary+Space - http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=elegant+universe - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WTWPG/ - As strange as it may seem, everything in your life that you believed in, just could be completely wrong.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

whatup wrote:
    @billh...As strange as it may seem, everything in your life that you believed in, just could be completely wrong.

You do know that by default that statement swings against you too, right Wink

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jsampsonPC wrote:

Sampy wrote: RE: Bible study

With all due respect, there is no difference between the Religious threads and the Political threads...if you request that one be avoided due to statistics of its development in the past, please follow through and request that people not bring up politics here either, for it does the same thing.

Agreed...  and at the rate this thread's going, you might as well lock it too.

• User profile image
    billh

whatup wrote:
    @billh - http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=BBC+Documentary+Space - http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=elegant+universe - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WTWPG/ - As strange as it may seem, everything in your life that you believed in, just could be completely wrong.
    Sorry, but I've seen way too much evidence to the contrary. The other day I heard an interesting statistic. There are technically over 300 fulfilled prophecies in the Old Testament that relate to Christ (I haven't counted myself, but I can think of a few right away). What are the odds that one single person could do that? Second, the promises listed in several places in the Bible are true (this depends on the context however because some were meant for the Jews in Old Testament times). This is verifiable. What other book is like that? Now some of the Scripture is not always the easiest to accept (even for me), but nevertheless its true whether I agree with it or not.  Some of it is even paradoxical...for instance, how tough is it to accept that you have to forgive people unconditionally? It doesn't always mean you will be buddies with them or whatever, and it certainly isn't what the world teaches. Yet mounds of philosophy books and psychology books can't seem to figure certain things out.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.