Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista modified my XP bootloader.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    victor_c26

I just recieved my copy of Vista business from the powertogether initiative that Mark Brown led (Thanks Mark:)).

But I tried installing my copy from Windows XP to install on my secondary IDE hard drive. That failed, and I tried installing it again by booting the install disk, and that seemed to work, although I nuked my Linux partition in the process.

But the installer left remnants of the [with-in] XP installer on my SATA drives boot sector. So everytime I want to boot XP, I get a screen with three options: Previous Windows, Windows Setup, Recovery [???] (I don't remember exactly, but it's Recovery *something*)

How can I get rid of the setup bootloader and boot XP the way it did before. [IE no selection screen, just boots XP immediately]

• User profile image
    cescotto

victor_c26 wrote:
    I just recieved my copy of Vista business from the powertogether initiative that Mark Brown led (Thanks Mark).

But I tried installing my copy from Windows XP to install on my secondary IDE hard drive. That failed, and I tried installing it again by booting the install disk, and that seemed to work, although I nuked my Linux partition in the process.

But the installer left remnants of the [with-in] XP installer on my SATA drives boot sector. So everytime I want to boot XP, I get a screen with three options: Previous Windows, Windows Setup, Recovery [???] (I don't remember exactly, but it's Recovery *something*)

How can I get rid of the setup bootloader and boot XP the way it did before. [IE selection screen, just boots XP imidiately]

You must boot from the XP cd and chose to use the "Recovery Console", then use fixboot and fixmbr commands.

BTW for other emergiencies remember to prepare a GRUB boot floppy.

• User profile image
    victor_c26

I don't have an XP disk, since this is an OEM machine. There isn't any other way? I'd hate to have to "Restore" (Format) from the disk that came with this machine.

• User profile image
    cescotto

victor_c26 wrote:
    I don't have an XP disk, since this is an OEM machine. There isn't any other way? I'd hate to have to "Restore" (Format) from the disk that came with this machine.

You can try using some free boot manager on the web and most have boot floppies (you can also burn them on CDRWs by using nero).

However, if the XP boot manager was overwritten (this means that Vista installed its new boot manager in the XP partition) then I think you need fixmbr/fixboot. There are some official Microsoft XP boot floppies (for computers that can't boot directly from CD) but I don't know if those can be used to access the recovery console, maybe somebody here knows.

• User profile image
    victor_c26

I just remembered that "Recovery [???]" option I mentioned in my OP post was actually Recovery Console. So I rebooted, selected Recovery Console from the three choice list, used fixboot, and that did the trick. Smiley

That's for the help Cescotto. Big Smile

• User profile image
    jacksonphil

You’re lucky I haven’t recieved my office 2007 yet I'm going nuts waiting does it come by ups or usps.

• User profile image
    AjCollins

I also just go my copy today. I was going to do an upgrade but the compatibility process is just way too long. Right now I am transfering my files to my other computer so I can do a clean install.

• User profile image
    SmallBiz​Vista.com

Try VistaBootPro from ProNetworks

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.