Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Programming: Any suggestions on how to start out?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Any ideas which programming language would be good for a begginer? Perplexed

Im 13, and frankly everyone has to start somewhere. This time im going for the soft option! I learned HTML 4 simply from reading it and it took me twice as long as it wouldve if idve asked for help, so... You live and learn i suppose.

Thanks.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

vb

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

SecretSoftware wrote:
    vb

vb- why? elaborate please. and keep it simple, im a newb. Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Pascal Cool

• User profile image
    Larsenal

There are a number of languages suitable for learning programming.  Download any one of the Vsual Studio Express tools for a relatively easy entry into the world of programming.  You can have lots of fun with simple windows apps and (better yet) console apps.

You can find these tools at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

• User profile image
    CSMR

Disclaimer: I am far from being an expert.

From what I've read Python and Ruby should be good choices because the learning curve is not steep. You can also program in various styles (OO, functional) so once you have learned about programming you can write in the way that suits you. But at the moment they are not well suppored .NET languages so you miss out on those libraries.

With C# you have great development software, but there is quite a lot to learn at the beginning. For example, you have to know about classes, static objects and functions even to write a program that does nothing.

• User profile image
    Angus

I started with Visual C#, this is partially because it seemed quite like some of the things I had seen before, and it had a freely available compiler, which I was used to (after testing Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Beta). I would suggest C# as it was fairly easy to learn, and there are loads of resources, but I am by no means an expert, and I'm sure someone will suggest something else. I am sure that most people are capable of learning C#, and I personally like the syntax, as it feels, in my opinion, more intuitive than other syntaxes.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Thank you, sounds pretty handy. VB is free, right? Any ideas on any books or something i can use to learn?Perplexed

Thanx

Midgie

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    zian

All the express editions are free. So, in that sense, VB, C#, Managed C++, and J# are all free. Smiley

Regarding your original post, I'd suggest VB .NET. It's a little more verbose but it's not as cryptic as C++, Java, and C#.

• User profile image
    Homer

Here is a linkt to a tutorial on beginning vb programming for kids.  I have not gone though it myself, but give it a look.

http://software.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?&kw=Microsoft+Visual+Basic&docid=217496

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

By the way, I have never programmed before (well, if you dont count HTML), so also could you suggest some learning resources? Books (preferably) websites courses anything.

Thanx

Midgie:P

Last modified
  • User profile image
    zian

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    By the way, I have never programmed before (well, if you dont count HTML), so also could you suggest some learning resources? Books (preferably) websites courses anything.

Thanx

Midgie

In addition to whatever resources you pickup, don't forget to use the MSDN Library. I've found that it has enough knowledge that, if it became sentient, the Library could write my programs for me.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Thanks tons. You gotta start somewhere i suppose!

Im off to start now then... keep posting!

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

jason818_253.33 wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:vb

vb- why? elaborate please. and keep it simple, im a newb.

Vb is better for newbies because its easier to deal with in some
    ways as compared to C.
    Suppose you want to allocate a 2-D array at run-time and pass it
    a procedure. The VB code is simply:

Option Explicit
    Option Base 1

Sub Make_Vec()
    Dim x() As Double
    Dim n1 As Integer , n2 As Integer
    n1 =7
    n2 = 4
    ReDim x (n1,n2)
    Call Output_Vec(x)
    End Sub

Sub Output_Vec (Vec() As Double)
    Debug.Print Ubound (Vec,1),Ubound (Vec,2)
    'Do stuff here
    End Sub

It is easy to allocate multi-dimensional Arrays in VB, but in C you
    need experiance with pointers. The Output_Vec can get the
    dimensions of Vec, so these dont need to be passed as seperate
    arguments, as in C.

This shows that when you cant do simple things easily that C is poorly
    designed as far as non-OS programming is concerned.

People bash VB programmers because they think they are newbies and are not
    "real programmers", but who cares if you can get what you want faster.

Once you know VB, move to others like Visual C# , then Delphi, then C++.

• User profile image
    bbrewder

You can try out Phrogram (it once was called KPL, Kids Programming Language). I haven't used it myself, but it looks like a great way to start. It's a project by a couple of Microsoft employees that is .Net based and comes with a bunch of great libraries and samples (mostly arcade style games) that you can tweek.

From the website...
    "KPL stands for Kid’s Programming Language. KPL makes it easy for kids to learn computer programming. KPL makes it fun, too, by making it especially easy to program computer games, with cool graphics and sound."

Here's the link if you are interested.

http://phrogram.com

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Im currently installing VB Express: should I install SQL server??? A) What does it do b) will it do anything to my system c) will it benifit me?

Thanx

Midgie Tongue Out

Last modified
  • User profile image
    TheFormer​BrianLy

Why not start with JavaScript? It will allow you to extend your Web skills. You'll also get immediate feedback and don't need to install anything on your system. If you want to do something on your computer rather than a browser you can use JScript or JScript.NET.

My other recommendation is to look at Python or Ruby, and write simple programs interactively. That way you'll get the confidence to build more complex things. I personally wouldn't go the VB->Pascal->C->Java->C#->Ruby route (that I travelled) if I had to start from scratch today. That's not to say C-style languages are bad, it's just that the world seems so much larger when you lift your head up and look elsewhere. More importantly, try to practice as much as you can, follow online discussions on mailing lists, and if it doesn't feel right look at other languages.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

So ur saying that i should try quite a few? Java has always had a soft spot in my heart as everyone seems to be using it for all manner of things.

I dont want to take on too much, but i think VB would be a better choice as its kindof like interactively building a program INSIDE another so perhaps that would be simpler for me. I dont have a clue!

Thanx

Midgie Tongue Out

PS : I want to learn more how to branch into programs now, as I am reasonably confident with HTML and the net side of things. Wink

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.