Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

networked computers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jacksonphil

I have two computers networked the second computer is now asking for a password to use the first computers shared folder and printer which is cool but I don't know the password what went wrong.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

jacksonphil wrote:

I have two computers networked the second computer is now asking for a password to use the first computers shared folder and printer which is cool but I don't know the password what went wrong.

Did you manually share that printer and folder?
    If so, you probably accidentally setup some authentication unententionally.

• User profile image
    AndyC

You can't share folders if your accounts don't have passwords unless you enable the Guest account.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

AndyC wrote:
    You can't share folders if your accounts don't have passwords unless you enable the Guest account.

That's not true.

• User profile image
    AndyC

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

That's not true.

It's true enough.

You can change the security policies to allow connections from accounts without passwords, but it's not something that is either advisable or easy for the average user to do.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

jacksonphil wrote:

What went wrong?  Who knows.

You can fix it, though, either by going into control panel and then choosing Network and Internet connections.  There should be an option for setting this up (again).

If you really don't mind having to enter a password every time, then you need to edit the account  you are logging in on and change the passcode to something you will remember.  you can do that under the control panel on the machine that has the printer sharing.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

AndyC wrote:

That's not true.

It's true enough.

You can change the security policies to allow connections from accounts without passwords, but it's not something that is either advisable or easy for the average user to do.

The XP simple file sharing box (the only one available on XP Home) doesn't stop you from sharing a folder--  with modify privileges, even-- when you're running as a user without a password.  It's more difficult if you're not using Simple File Sharing, but since you get the simple dialog on XP Home and by default on XP Professional if you're not on a domain, that's not true, particularly in the case of the average user.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And yes, this dialog does allow you to check both boxes if you have no passwords set on the box (I've used file sharing on my parent's computer which is set up with no passwords).  The guest account is not turned on.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

The guest account is not turned on.

How sure are you about that because various articles clearly say that when Simple file sharing is on that:
    MDSN artcle 304040 wrote:

Remote users always authenticate as the Guest account.

For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    302927 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302927/) Computer Management displays user account names when logged on as Guest

See [MSDN artcle 304040]. They also go into details about how "Simple File Sharing" will turn on the Guest account, etc.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.