Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Buying Vista in the US.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

So, I give up. No response from my national Microsoft Office or from the Vista blog on why the price difference between US and EU is so high. I'm willing to pay the $600+ I'm being charged, but I'd like to know why. If telling me that is too much trouble, then forget about it.

So, I'm ready to just order from Amazon.com. However, I'd like know if there are any differences between these versions, and if I'd run into any trouble when I use it here. Also, is there any legal way to obtain the localised MUIs?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

They said you will be able to download an extra language if you have the ultimate edition.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Have you investigated any import duties/taxes for where you are?  It's annoying to receive an additional invoice that you hadn't expected when ordering from another country; happened to me once when I ordered from ThinkGeek in the US (I'm in the UK).

Herbie

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

Just got a catalogue here in Aus with Australian prices, and boy are they expensive as hell... unless you opt for the academic versions.

For example, Home Premium Academic Upgrade is ~$180AUD, that's pretty good in my books. Ultimate full however is insane, around $800AUD, so I'd say most will forget about that.

• User profile image
    LiquidSpy

Ideas Man wrote:
    ... Ultimate full however is insane, around $800AUD, so I'd say most will forget about that.

Do most users need the Ultimate Edition? I thought it was for the serious users, i.e. gamers, developers, and those that think they are power users. Smiley Of course that's just a thought.

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

LiquidSpy wrote:

Ideas Man wrote: ... Ultimate full however is insane, around $800AUD, so I'd say most will forget about that.

Do most users need the Ultimate Edition? I thought it was for the serious users, i.e. gamers, developers, and those that think they are power users.  Of course that's just a thought.

Honestly, I don't think any home users need it. Unless they're power users who run their own Windows domain, then IMO Home Premium is adequate for most. In fact, that's what I'm recommending to everyone that can run Vista.

• User profile image
    Bas

ZippyV wrote:
    They said you will be able to download an extra language if you have the ultimate edition.

Really? Where does it say that?

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Have you investigated any import duties/taxes for where you are?  It's annoying to receive an additional invoice that you hadn't expected when ordering from another country; happened to me once when I ordered from ThinkGeek in the US (I'm in the UK).

Yeah, I got bitten by that once when I ordered a DS Lite from Lik-Sang in Hong Kong. Even with taxes, it's still hundreds of dollars cheaper than buying it locally.

• User profile image
    cescotto

I was reading on some italian forums that Vista prices can be discounted up to 60% depending on the vendor. If that is true I don't really understand why MS set such an high suggested price.

• User profile image
    SmallBiz​Vista.com

Vista Ultmate edition allows you to use any of 36 language packs.

And you can do so dynamically.

Furthermore, you can have a different language associated with each account on a Vista Ultimate computer.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.