Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Channel 9 a social network for you?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

    For me it is... I have known a lot of interesting people here. It is great! I would find it cool, if Channel 9 could bring that to the next level, with for example a list (for each niner) where you can add your friends (Channel 9 friends) and share private details with them (for example, your e-mail address or IM IDs etc.).

    Something that goes a little bit more into the MySpace, student communities, or general social community direction.

    What does everybody else think?

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Well, I'm looking at your profile and your sharing most of that stuff anyway Big Smile

    I'm not sure about having Channel9 "friends" I guess I don't see the point. Not when you can e-mail everyone anyway and they can contact you back if they want. Perhaps a c9 blog / personal aggregator would be a step this way, and might be cool.

    Ahh.. I just want the next version to be delivered - I'll start thinking about asking for new features after they get the current lot out the door.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    littleguru wrote:
    Is Channel 9 a social network for you?


    No. Mugshot is.

    Unfortunately I think C9's quality has dropped down a lot. I don't mean that the quality was high when Keskos and frieds were here, but I think it was higher.
    Only few "niners" left whose postings I really like (even if I disagree with them). Too much trolls, bashing and politics nowadays.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    id say it is in general..

    its telling that people from austrailia are asking why they pay more than everyone else..or why people in europe are always late getting contests / promos in US/can

    before c9 - it would have been harder to notice those things - but now people can discuss them and ask why
    =social networking

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    Yes it is.

    The only problem is a small percentage of the people in C9, post. The majority is in read only mode.

  • User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

    Erisan wrote:
    Unfortunately I think C9's quality has dropped down a lot. I don't mean that the quality was high when Keskos and frieds were here, but I think it was higher.
    Only few "niners" left whose postings I really like (even if I disagree with them). Too much trolls, bashing and politics nowadays.


    Agreed!

    Sad but true....

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    It goes in phases. It has been better, yes, and it has been worse too. And I'm sure there will be times when it is better again, and worse again.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Sven Groot wrote:
    It goes in phases. It has been better, yes, and it has been worse too. And I'm sure there will be times when it is better again, and worse again.


    You could be right. And anybody who is complaining, could do its own to make the quality higher Wink

  • User profile image
    Angus

    For me, Channel 9 is less of a social network, and more of a place I can talk to people, but do so in a formal way, and where I can give and receive information regarding things. I don't like the idea of MySpace, etc. myself (I would be more inclined to code my own website), and I think Channel 9 would never work with people who don't enjoy technology (even thought the Coffeehouse has threads that aren't necessarily technology related).

    Really, I think of Channel 9 as my favourite place to be on the internet, it is so useful, and I have never had problems with other people on it (well rarely, and even then the problems were minute). I have only ever managed to post regularly on one other forum, I think of Channel 9 as a unique conversation tool that is filled with intelligent people who can help me. Tongue Out

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Angus wrote:
    For me, Channel 9 is less of a social network, and more of a place I can talk to people, but do so in a formal way, and where I can give and receive information regarding things. I don't like the idea of MySpace, etc. myself (I would be more inclined to code my own website), and I think Channel 9 would never work with people who don't enjoy technology (even thought the Coffeehouse has threads that aren't necessarily technology related).

    Really, I think of Channel 9 as my favourite place to be on the internet, it is so useful, and I have never had problems with other people on it (well rarely, and even then the problems were minute). I have only ever managed to post regularly on one other forum, I think of Channel 9 as a unique conversation tool that is filled with intelligent people who can help me.

    Angus Higgins


    * charles - you should print out the above post  8 feet x 8 feet for your office wall Smiley

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    Angus wrote:
    For me, Channel 9 is less of a social network, and more of a place I can talk to people, but do so in a formal way, and where I can give and receive information regarding things. I don't like the idea of MySpace, etc. myself (I would be more inclined to code my own website), and I think Channel 9 would never work with people who don't enjoy technology (even thought the Coffeehouse has threads that aren't necessarily technology related).

    Really, I think of Channel 9 as my favourite place to be on the internet, it is so useful, and I have never had problems with other people on it (well rarely, and even then the problems were minute). I have only ever managed to post regularly on one other forum, I think of Channel 9 as a unique conversation tool that is filled with intelligent people who can help me.

    Angus Higgins


    So you have C9 as your home page?

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    How many people are actually on C9?

    Are the numbers on the upper left corner right? And how come only 20 [max] people write in C9 forums?

  • User profile image
    Angus

    SecretSoftware wrote:
    
    So you have C9 as your home page?


    No, but it should be.

    There is a practical thought for me not having Channel 9 as my homepage, as often I open a new tab for searching, and it is quicker to click the homepage button. I open Channel 9 once when I run my browser so I just have it on the link bar at the top of Firefox.

    I would have Channel 9 as my homepage because I do open it first when I run Firefox, but I often open Google (more frequently than Channel 9) so it is more practical. (My visits to Channel 9 are usually longer, i.e. 5+ hours on the same tab; Google might only get a 1 minute visit, but about 10-30 times per day).

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    SecretSoftware wrote:
    So you have C9 as your home page?

    It's one of the four pages opened by default in IE7.

    live.com, Channel 9 coffehouse, ArsTechnica openforum, my LiveJournal friends page.

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    PaoloM wrote:
    
    SecretSoftware wrote:So you have C9 as your home page?

    It's one of the four pages opened by default in IE7.

    live.com, Channel 9 coffehouse, ArsTechnica openforum, my LiveJournal friends page.


    Same here, but I use FireFox instead of IE7. Because FireFox is faster and not heavy.

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Man, is it time for the "C9 Forum Idol" again?  I love when threads degrade into nostalgic descriptions of how much better it was back in the day.

    Every time I see this kind of stuff, I'm reminded of this.

  • User profile image
    Kevin Daly

    No, I'm not one of the cool kids Smiley

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    PaoloM wrote:
    
    SecretSoftware wrote: So you have C9 as your home page?

    It's one of the four pages opened by default in IE7.

    live.com, Channel 9 coffehouse, ArsTechnica openforum, my LiveJournal friends page.


    How cool. I didn't know we could do that. Add to homepages as extra tabs.

    This is a good example of why I should say yes to littleguru about this being a social network. I don't claim to be sociable at all times...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.