Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft advertizing never accomplishes anything!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dentaku

Vista adds (and MS adds in general) are always full of generic smiley people with words swishing in and out. It's like they're saying "look, we know how do edit video" but it says nothing about the product.
    Like this for example: http://wms.meslchost.com/windowsvistapartner/seethedifference.wmv

Wouldn't it be better to have a series of very short adds showing someone actually USING Vista to do something useful?
    The adds should help people learn how to use their computers and show them what can be accomplished on a regular Windows PC.

They don't even have to feature only MS products, just something fun, creative, useful or time saving that can be accomplished on a standard every day Windows PC.

Too many people have computers but they don't use them to their full potential.

What do you all think?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

dentaku wrote:
    Wouldn't it be better to have a series of very short adds showing someone actually USING Vista to do something useful?

Even better. Have one guy standing there pretending to be a PC, and another guy pretending to be a Mac....etc etc

Cool

• User profile image
    Vert

Advertising has never been about really showing what a product does.  It's all about making you remember the name.  That way when you go shopping they are at least on the short list. 

• User profile image
    dentaku

Vert wrote:

Advertising has never been about really showing what a product does.  It's all about making you remember the name.  That way when you go shopping they are at least on the short list. 

Operating systems are different because most people have no clue what one is. It's like when electricity became available, people had to be educated about it.

If you demonstrate some interesting software to older people they will then ask a younger person "can my computer do that" and of course the young person will say "sure" then you will have a better informed user and a happier customer.
    It will also help show that all the "cool" stuff doesn't only run on OSX.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I agree...maybe it's just me, but this advertisement seems pointless. I'm left asking, "Why do I need it?" All of the "pick-up lines" were vague, and non-descriptive...its like: "Learn to be happy, Make customers smile, save money, do neat stuff, find things, have security, glisten and glare....buy Vista today."

I dunno. I did think the first couple seconds were cool Smiley Up until it went to the people running around....doing absolutely nothing Smiley

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Something tells me Microsoft probably paid good money for that (but hey, what do i know) and it does absolutely NOTHING. The point in this advert is.... I do agree that all its about is to get you to remember the name.

Lloyd

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

I think MS advertising execs get paid per each buzzword they can fit into a 30 second ad.

• User profile image
    Darbacour

Where is this ad and who is it supposed to be targetting?

To me  it looks like it's geared to MS Partners to get business customers to upgrade to Vista.  If it's on the MS Partner site it's a decent ad.  If not and it's meant for the general public, it makes little sense.

I don't see it doing much for Vista if it's supposed to be a regular TV commercial attempting to appeal to the average home PC user.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

dentaku wrote:
    What do you all think?

LOL, it tells me Vista will make me happy, trendy, superfly, and ethnically ambiguous!

• User profile image
    dentaku

Darbacour wrote:
    Where is this ad and who is it supposed to be targetting?

You're right, this add isn't geared towards the average person (it's more of an add they would stick in a industrial video type presentation) but many others are and they're all just the same buzzwords swirling around smiley people kinda stuff that amounts to nothing.

When I wrote the first post I thought "I wonder if Jim Allchin would agree with me". He seems to be the most reasonable and level headed boss at MS.
    Cheesy adds and unimaginative product names might not seem to be worth worrying about but in the end brand image one of the most important things a huge company has.

Making adds that educate people is what I'm interested in more than brand image anyway.

• User profile image
    Darbacour

"Cheesy adds and unimaginative product names might not seem to be worth worrying about but in the end brand image one of the most important things a huge company has."

I totally agree with you.  If this is similar to what the general home user is going to see then I think it's a loser.  As someone else said earlier SHOW some of the things Vista can do.

I'd also like MS to put out some commercials that focus less on productivity and business application side and show more of the creative and fun side. 

A typical home-user does NOT need or want to spend a couple hundred dollars for a new O/S because because it can run the latest & greatest 'business-critical' apps.   

Sadly until their computer completely crashes from spyware and viruses most of them don't care how secure their O/S is either.

But hey, if MS can show them it's got a super-cool new inter-face i.e. glass, 3-D flip, it's optimized for gaming (jury is still out on this one), can make killer effects for  their home-movie editing etc. then, hell yeah,  now it's exciting and they gotta have it, NOW. 

• User profile image
    dentaku

I wonder if Microsoft Canada or some other regional division of MS can make it's own adds for their part of the world? At least it would be a start.

• User profile image
    stevo_

MS don't quite have it yet with marketing, their products rarely come across as cool. Which is kinda what I expect from a bunch of geeks Tongue Out, but its kinda like someone explaining a joke.. the joke may even be funny, but its execution (marketing in this case) can be terrible.

• User profile image
    dentaku

What I'd really like to see would be kind of a condensed on10.net in an add.
    Find people doing interesting stuff with windows machines and interview them in 30-60 seconds.

They could put up a URL that links to a site that has the long form versions of all the adds that show more that you can show in an add.
    Like I said before, it doesn't even have to be an MS product that they're using. It just has to be something amazing or creative that the average (usually older) computer user didn't know could be done on an every day PC.
    Most people have no clue about all the stuff they could be doing with their computers because they assume it takes lots of expensive equipment and a geek to run it when that's not really true.

• User profile image
    reinux

dentaku wrote:
    What I'd really like to see would be kind of a condensed on10.net in an add.
    Find people doing interesting stuff with windows machines and interview them in 30-60 seconds.

They could put up a URL that links to a site that has the long form versions of all the adds that show more that you can show in an add.
    Like I said before, it doesn't even have to be an MS product that they're using. It just has to be something amazing or creative that the average (usually older) computer user didn't know could be done on an every day PC.
    Most people have no clue about all the stuff they could be doing with their computers because they assume it takes lots of expensive equipment and a geek to run it when that's not really true.

Well said Smiley

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

You know... Ads "understanding" depends on nationality. For instance, "american styled" (repetative, sloag-full, "Wow! Our water is more wet!" style) adds doesn't works for russians (even for europeans). We are just laughing at them, they are too stupid and very annoying for us. Of cause each nation has "dummies" (who are listening each word in ad) and "smarties" (who are just ignoring ads in total). Just a question of proportion.

Most of ads are pointed to people with less than average IQ level (most of Earth population). Marketing is oriented to "average or less" people.

PS: The best way to enforce somebody to hate something he/she loves - give it to him/here in HUGE quantities Smiley

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    jamie

BlackTiger wrote:

Most of ads are pointed to people with less than average IQ level (most of Earth population). Marketing is oriented to "average or less" people.

that's why ms needs "space" ads..  :

Build/launch / talk about a spaceship of some sort.

an addition to spacestation...  specifically a computer lab
    or something going to the moon - something we can see (not mars - too long)

Pull their estranged 2nd founder back in for some press while announcing it as well

MS  +  space...  = beyond earth population! Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

*specifically:

- Kraftwerk: Computer World (album)

songs you need:

- Computer World
    - Computer Love
    - Home Computer (i program my home computer - beam myself into the future)
    - It's more fun to compute

Tongue Out

*edit:  like them or not - kraftwerk are pure... untainted. 

to land them would be a score.  it may take 9 years per new music commercial though (ha they take forever)

you are not really buying - new kraftwerk - you are buying their methodology of perfection, timelessness, detail, dicipline...etc...etc...

*dont let jobs grab them..  they are the computer industry band - from autobahn in 1976 (pistols!!year) to now ( no compromise) ..if late... 

its perfect

edit* i got my first kraftwerk album at the library - LP - Man Machine. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.