Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Firefox V Opera V Internet Explorer - The Browser Wars... Which Is Better??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    Which, in your opinion, is better??
    And of course, why?
    I personally use Opera, and for me, thats pretty good, but I suppose it depends what you use your browser for.

    Lloyd AKA Midgie Tongue Out

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    littleguru

    I like IE7. It has everything I need and I don't like browser with to much features... It's exactly what I want and what I need. IE7 rocks (for me)!

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    For me, FireFox....no contest.
    They have one of the greatest extension-developing community around in my opinion. They are constantly coming out with updates, and seemingly innovating in many ways. Their browser seems to always be the leading product in the browser-wars.

    ...but...IE7 could be the big turn-around Microsoft was waiting for. It certainly brought back the respect I had for MSIE Smiley

    If MS released a .NET version of IE which would easily allow the implementation of additional .NET components, I'd drop FF in a heartbeat!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Which, in your opinion, is better?? And of course, why? I personally use Opera, and for me, thats pretty good, but I suppose it depends what you use your browser for. Lloyd AKA Midgie Tongue Out


    They've all got their plus points (well, not so much for IE, of course Wink )

    I use Firefox because it does what I want it to (through Extensions), IE nor Opera have the facility (first or third-party) to do what I want:

    • Regex/Wildcard URL filtering
    • Click-to-play Flash and Shockwave
    • Host alternate rendering engines (incl. IE)
    • Easy to use HTTP header viewer (Fiddler is too complicated)
    • Consistent user-interface
    • Fast loading (although probably due to Prefetch now)
    • Easier to use Favorites list (although History is really slow)
    And an all-round winner.

  • User profile image
    z2bass

    I use IE7 for RSS

    FF for most of my Web Apps

    And Opera when I can.

    I like opera the best though... even though their email stuff isn't that great.

    Can't wait for IE8!

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    I have to agree w3bbo, Firefox is great. But with Opera I like *LOVE* the widgets and the slide-bar that pops out of the side when I click on it. Notes is handy for me when Im looking up on VB and well... Opera does it all for me. I do miss the IE7 buttons - though i do like the flyover animations of the Opera browser.  Typically though, Opera doesnt support some of the features of C9, so I must use IE7. The emotes are not displayed, and the html tags i enter are all formatted out. Typical

    Lloyd AKA Midgie

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    I use IE7...  however, I'm posting this from Firefox.  I just reinstalled this machine and I don't like IE6 (plus, it's in the middle of running Windows Update and my experience with running multiple IE windows at the same time as WU hasn't been good).

  • User profile image
    Custa1200

    As a guy that does a lot of web development, there is no contest. Firefox with extensons like Firebug and the Developer Toolbar has the goods to make things a LOT easier to develop with. Also the speed of rendering pages, and executing Javascript where most web apps are heavy now IE, is certainly out of the question although MS have come a long way with IE7. Also other browers (Firefox, and all other Gecko based browsers, Safari and other Webkit browsers including the S60 browser and Opera) can no longer be considered a minority with IE holding < 85% of the market. This is especially true as more people use more mobile browsing. I can see a day not too far off where IE will hold much less than 50% largely due to mobile devices. It is an area where MS really has no clout as a browser.

  • User profile image
    Rowan

    I'm always working on and analysing websites so I use Firefox for the great developer tools. I like Opera, but it doesn't seem to have any genuinely useful tools like Firefox, and the IE Dev Toolbar will not install on my system, plus I don't feel safe designing for IE off the bat.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Custa1200 wrote:
    As a guy that does a lot of web development, there is no contest. Firefox with extensons like Firebug and the Developer Toolbar has the goods to make things a LOT easier to develop with. Also the speed of rendering pages, and executing Javascript where most web apps are heavy now IE, is certainly out of the question although MS have come a long way with IE7. Also other browers (Firefox, and all other Gecko based browsers, Safari and other Webkit browsers including the S60 browser and Opera) can no longer be considered a minority with IE holding < 85% of the market. This is especially true as more people use more mobile browsing. I can see a day not too far off where IE will hold much less than 50% largely due to mobile devices. It is an area where MS really has no clout as a browser.


    I'll second that--  Firefox's development tools make it much more pleasant to develop on.  I still prefer IE as a general-purpose browser, though.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    ie, ie and ie (did i mention ie?)

    i use frontpage and know abit of asp = mostly ms stuff = displays best fastest in ie

    ..that said - i like many things about ff - the full screen add on, the dev toolbar is easier and the themes (although there arnt many good ones)

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    I realised the other day that I just use whichever one is newest.  I tend to want to try out the newest one, and then it just becomes habit.

    So I was on FF2, but now I'm in IE7.  When FF3 releases I'll porbably go to that until IE8 ....

    I guess I just like my browsers shiny. Big Smile

    Essentially, there's not really any difference for normal everyday browsing.

    When I'm developing web pages, I tend to go with FF2 and the IETab plug-in so I can easily check pages in both. But I rarely develop web pages at the moment.

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

    I'm switching from Opera to IE7 Big Smile

  • User profile image
    KRomeleoN

    Flock is best browser

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    RoyalSchrubber: Traitor!! Tongue Out Lloyd

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    I prefer IE7 for general use, but when developing I do like to use Firefox with extensions such as the Web Developer Toolbar and FireBug. Unfortunately the IE dev toolbar doesn't even come close yet to their power.

  • User profile image
    peidaqi

    I use IE for web browsering because it has the best compability.

    I use Firefox to open local files because it's fast.

    I use Opera when the network is slow because you can easily turn on/off images, flashes... etc...

    When I'm using Linux, Firefox seems to be the only solution.
    In MacOS, I use a modified version of Firefox(Cannot remember the name. Sad )
    When I'm using mobile phones, Opera seems to be the only one I can use. (Access NetFront is better I have to say. But only for some typical brands.)

    I don't like IE7 because it's quite slow. And there seems to be a strange thing for the tabbed browsering. If there's only one tab and you've opened a page by this tab, you cannot close it. These's no 'cross' by the tab. I don't know whether it's fixed or not by now.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    peidaqi wrote:
    And there seems to be a strange thing for the tabbed browsering. If there's only one tab and you've opened a page by this tab, you cannot close it. These's no 'cross' by the tab. I don't know whether it's fixed or not by now.


    Please think before you post, why would you want to close the only webpage that is currently open?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.