Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista won't install "Windows cannot find a system volume that meets proper critera"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Asbradley21

I just got my copy of Vista Business from PowerTogether today, I tried to install it and when I select the partition to install to it says "Windows cannot find a system volume that meets proper critera". It is a clean new partition which is 55gb.
    I currently have other problems which were caused by Vista RC2 install with killed my XP NTLDR and boot loader, I've tried several fixes (fixboot, fixmbr, bootcfg) nothing works to solve either problems. Help please?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Is the partion formated? I get this error if I create the partion and do not format before selecting it as the target for install.

• User profile image
    Asbradley21

PerfectPhase wrote:
    Is the partion formated? I get this error if I create the partion and do not format before selecting it as the target for install.
    Yep perfectly formatted to NTFS

• User profile image
    AndyC

What type of partition is it? Also what format is your first Primary partition?

• User profile image
    David7738

Asbradley21 wrote:
    I just got my copy of Vista Business from PowerTogether today, I tried to install it and when I select the partition to install to it says "Windows cannot find a system volume that meets proper critera". It is a clean new partition which is 55gb.
    I currently have other problems which were caused by Vista RC2 install with killed my XP NTLDR and boot loader, I've tried several fixes (fixboot, fixmbr, bootcfg) nothing works to solve either problems. Help please?

Have you removed the boot files that were installed onto your drive c: root directory? c:\boot??? (these fileby the previous vista install)

There is an obscure vista command to thee boot loader that will restore your original boot sector but the easiest way to restore things back to before the "beta" install is to do a "repair" install of XP.  Make your own disk using tye ryanvm update process so that all of last months and other post sp2 fixes are alreay nstalled which will save you a long session with microsoft update (a frew reboots and so forth.

Right now Vista is probably confused because it see's that it might be a Vista Update install and you can't update from Beta installs (normally)  So you have to remove Vista RC2 in its entirety.  Now you can retry the install and it should go without a hitch. 

• User profile image
    Asbradley21

David7738 wrote:

Asbradley21 wrote:I just got my copy of Vista Business from PowerTogether today, I tried to install it and when I select the partition to install to it says "Windows cannot find a system volume that meets proper critera". It is a clean new partition which is 55gb.

Have you removed the boot files that were installed onto your drive c: root directory? c:\boot??? (these fileby the previous vista install)

There is an obscure vista command to thee boot loader that will restore your original boot sector but the easiest way to restore things back to before the "beta" install is to do a "repair" install of XP.  Make your own disk using tye ryanvm update process so that all of last months and other post sp2 fixes are alreay nstalled which will save you a long session with microsoft update (a frew reboots and so forth.

Right now Vista is probably confused because it see's that it might be a Vista Update install and you can't update from Beta installs (normally)  So you have to remove Vista RC2 in its entirety.  Now you can retry the install and it should go without a hitch. 

No the botched RC2 partition is gone.

I have two seperate harddrives, I'm tring to install vista on my secondary hard drive(Which I had previously had RC2 on). The XP install is on the first harddrive. Now, When I have the first hard drive plugged in, I get the error message "cannot assign drive to partition on disk 0"which I got AFTER I selected a partition and it began to install. So I unplugged the first hard drive and I get the current error message.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

[Windows Vista KB article]

Note my highlighting in the extract, below:

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to install Windows Vista, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
    The hard disk on which you want to install Windows Vista is not listed.
    You cannot select a hard disk partition on which to install Windows Vista.
    You cannot format a hard disk partition or partitions.
    You cannot set the correct size for a hard disk partition.
    You receive the following error message:
    Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation

CAUSEThis problem may occur because of one of the following reasons:
    Windows Vista is incompatible with a mass storage controller or a mass storage driver.
    A mass storage controller or a mass storage driver is outdated.
    The hard disk on which you want to install Windows Vista is a dynamic disk.
    A data cable in the computer is loose, or another hardware issue has occurred.
    The hard disk or the Windows file system is damaged.
    You tried to select a FAT32 partition or another type of partition that is incompatible with Windows Vista.

This suggests two things to me:

1. Microsoft have decided not to reverse their use of the terms Boot and System Volumes (which I think is arse-about).

2. That you don't have a proper "System Volume" from which Vista can install it's "System files" (which think should be called boot files). ie NTLDR and BOOT.INI, etc.

Follow the article, which I linked to at the top of this post, to check.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.