Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rivals Attack Vista As Illegal Under EU Rules

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

The article...

Linked by Thom Holwerda on 2007-01-26 21:37:31 UTC

A coalition of rivals charged on Friday that Microsoft's new Vista operating system coming out next week will perpetuate practices found illegal in the European Union nearly three years ago. The group, which includes IBM, Nokia, Sun Microsystems, Adobe, Oracle and Red Hat, said its complaints made last year are yet to be addressed just days before Vista is due for release.

• User profile image
    Rowan

"It said Microsoft's XAML markup language was "positioned to replace HTML," the industry standard for publishing documents on the Internet. XAML would be dependent on Windows, and discriminatory against systems such as Linux, the group said."

LOL!

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    kettch

I think that these people from the EU have been making a few too many weekends trips to the Netherlands.

• User profile image
    stevo_

"It said a so-called "open XML" platform file format, known as OOXML, is designed to run seamlessly only on the Microsoft Office platform. It governs the way a document is formatted and stored."

Expressionless The article is quite unbelievable.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

eweek.com wrote:
    Microsoft has challenged the Commission's 2004 decision, which included a record fine of nearly 500 million euros ($649.4 million) and orders to change its business practices. It awaits a decision by the EU's Court of First Instance.

Did anything ever give you that really weird feeling like you aren't welcome somewhere LOL

• User profile image
    Chadk

Rowan wrote:

"It said Microsoft's XAML markup language was "positioned to replace HTML," the industry standard for publishing documents on the Internet. XAML would be dependent on Windows, and discriminatory against systems such as Linux, the group said."

LOL!

Jesus. You gotta be kidding me.
    Seems like bull to me. But i chances are that EU will send a 900mill$ bill to Microsoft because of this!Sad

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

k2t0f12d wrote:
    Did anything ever give you that really weird feeling like you aren't welcome somewhere LOL
    Yeah, I think we should all give the ECIS members that feeling.

• User profile image
    Bas

Jason Cox wrote:

k2t0f12d wrote: Did anything ever give you that really weird feeling like you aren't welcome somewhere LOL

As a European, I'm feeling equally welcomed to the Vista userbase.

On topic: the case is laughable. If XAML is the worst 'offense' they can come up with, they don't stand a chance.

Also, note that they altered the case one month ago. I'm guessing that this has more to do with media exposure than with justice.

• User profile image
    Jaz

James O'Neil blogged about this the other day.

http://blogs.technet.com/jamesone/archive/2007/01/26/another-lesson-in-fud-from-a-past-master.aspx

and i love what he says about them being oh so european: IBM, Nokia, Sun Microsystems, Adobe, Corel, Oracle, RealNetworks, Red Hat, Linspire and Opera,  i think only opera and Nokia are european out of all of them.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Yeah because MS didn't try to ruin html, css, java or rss on the web.  Ever since MS realised they had no control over the web they have tried to put the version of it out there.  I'm sure you'll give great examples of how they have improved the net, just as long as you have a licence from them.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Jason Cox wrote:

k2t0f12d wrote:Did anything ever give you that really weird feeling like you aren't welcome somewhere LOL

I apologize.  Since I neither have Microsoft shares or need their software, I confess that I cannot comprehend your humourless response.  ECIS has every interest in policing any IT in their region, including Microsoft's.  The EU has every right to sue anyone they feel isn't practicing business fairly.  It isn't as if it isn't happening in any other places in the world.  If the case being made against Microsoft isn't valid, you have nothing to worry about do you?

• User profile image
    Charles

To state that XAML is a placement for HTML is just plain stupid...
    C

• User profile image
    corona_coder

sirhomer wrote:

Charles wrote: To state that XAML is a placement for HTML is just plain stupid...
    C

I think they are talking about WPF/E, with uses XAML and requires a plugin to work and is not available for Linux.

I think this is a shame.  Competition should be fought in the market.  Linux is standing on its own two feet and actually stealing share from Microsoft.  This just makes the Linux supportive companies such as Sun, Red Hat and the others look like a bunch of crybabies.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

corona_coder wrote:

sirhomer wrote: 
    Charles wrote: To state that XAML is a placement for HTML is just plain stupid...
    C

I think they are talking about WPF/E, with uses XAML and requires a plugin to work and is not available for Linux.

I think this is a shame.  Competition should be fought in the market.  Linux is standing on its own two feet and actually stealing share from Microsoft.  This just makes the Linux supportive companies such as Sun, Red Hat and the others look like a bunch of crybabies.

For once, I actually agree with you.  Microsoft isn't a monopoly anymore, these people should stop using anti-trust laws to get an unfair advantage over Microsoft.  (Interestingly, anti-trust laws exist to prevent one company from gaining an unfair advantage over another...)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.