Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dell and Windows Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Today in the bathroom (don't ask) I was reading a Dell promo paper that came in the mail and noticed something...then I went to dell.com/vista and noticed the same thing....

There are no Windows Vista Ultimate Capable PC's/Notebooks

There only seems to be Windows Vista Home Premium Capable....why is that? Also if anyone knows of any Ultimate Capable PC's I would appreciate knowing where they're at.

• User profile image
    Rowan

Wouldn't both versions have the same basic requirements? Why would Ultimate need a different setup than HP?

Edit: or do you mean Vista 'ready', as in already installed and set up on that system?

• User profile image
    borosen

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Today in the bathroom (don't ask) I was reading a Dell promo paper that came in the mail and noticed something...then I went to dell.com/vista and noticed the same thing....

There are no Windows Vista Ultimate Capable PC's/Notebooks

There only seems to be Windows Vista Home Premium Capable....why is that? Also if anyone knows of any Ultimate Capable PC's I would appreciate knowing where they're at.

I read in a local computer magazine, reporting from CES 2007, that HP, Dell and Sony will not ship computers with Vista Ultimate due to the price tag.

They seam to think the customers will be satisfied with Home/Premium, and not willing to pay the extra for Ultimate.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

borosen wrote:

I read in a local computer magazine, reporting from CES 2007, that HP, Dell and Sony will not ship computers with Vista Ultimate due to the price tag.

They seam to think the customers will be satisfied with Home/Premium, and not willing to pay the extra for Ultimate.

That's what I'm wondering...if that is the case....

However if Vista Premium has the same requirements than Ultimate then I can get a Vista Premium capable laptop and install Ultimate on it. Problem solved.

• User profile image
    joem83

That is funny since HP offers it on some of their computers

Cybermagellan wrote:

borosen wrote: 

That's what I'm wondering...if that is the case....

However if Vista Premium has the same requirements than Ultimate then I can get a Vista Premium capable laptop and install Ultimate on it. Problem solved.

• User profile image
    borosen

joem83 wrote:
    That is funny since HP offers it on some of their computers

So they do, even Dell seams to offer it.

• User profile image
    TimWoodland

Dell's ordering system for pc's with Vista is a total joke.

You can't select home premium (it's not on the list) on most of the dimension line, and there is a tiny little clause that says "free upgrade to home premium with purchase of x amount of ram."

• User profile image
    Stephen

There are two logo programs from MS, Vista Ready PC & Vista Premium Ready PC

Ultimate comes under the Vista Premium Ready PC category.

Tchnet Link

• User profile image
    tomkirbygre​en

I would expect more announcements from DELL very soon - but for the record Vista Ultimate edition runs like a dream on a DELL Latitude D620.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

dot_tom wrote:
    I would expect more announcements from DELL very soon - but for the record Vista Ultimate edition runs like a dream on a DELL Latitude D620.

That is the perfect price range for me. Are you able to get Aero Glass to work with it?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Cybermagellan wrote:

dot_tom wrote: I would expect more announcements from DELL very soon - but for the record Vista Ultimate edition runs like a dream on a DELL Latitude D620.

That is the perfect price range for me. Are you able to get Aero Glass to work with it?

Vista Ultimate runs perfect on my 1.5 years old Inspiron 9300. I get a score of 4.0... I don't understand why the Dell laptops shouldn't be able to run Vista Ultimate, because it runs here - weird.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Windows Vista now has an Live upgrade programme in place... you can upgrade just by purchasing a new key online.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an
  • User profile image
    ddillon

Cybermagellan wrote:

dot_tom wrote: I would expect more announcements from DELL very soon - but for the record Vista Ultimate edition runs like a dream on a DELL Latitude D620.

Yep, glass works fine.

I moved to a D620 from another make last week and there's no way I'm going back. It's fast, good battery life, light - and all devices work right out of the box, no need to download drivers.

• User profile image
    andokai

Premium ready relates to the Vista experience rather than the version ie. Aero glass etc.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.