Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Seeking NES

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Anyone know where I can purchase a regular Nintendo Entertainment System? Me and the girlfriend would like to play and remember the old games. We checked eBay but have been stiffed on bids before so we're looking for something more dependable.

• User profile image
    pathfinder

Buy an Xbox360 and then use an XNA NES emulator to play all of your old favs:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/27/xna-hobbyist-brings-nes-game-emulation-to-xbox-360/ 

Playing NES games on an Xbox is 10 times better than playing it on an original system because all of the games are saved on the harddrive and you can save your game state to pick up where you left off later.  Also you can modify the roms and also use Game Genie codes.

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

try the retro gamer forum, someone may have a spare kicking about

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Well if XNA NES is that new, it's probably buggy and very inaccurate from a real NES. The color palette may be off, some mappers might not work, CPU emulation may not be perfect, etc.

It takes a time to develop a decent emulator of any system.

I'd say go with a time tested NES emulator for PC (connected to your TV) and buy a NES to USB controller adapter. You can get alot more games this way too by downloading the ROMs; it's not quite that simple when cartridges are the only storage medium.

I haven't seen too many NES/SNES cartridge "burners" on the market these days. Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

After getting the console you might be interested in this:

[Link]

I think the auction is still open, buteven if not, it is interesting.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Interesting, but at $3,950 plus hundreds for shipping, this deal is limited to the most loyal retro gamers.

Virtually every one of those games can be downloaded for free off the net and burned onto a single CD. In fact, I think you can find the complete NES game collection on torrent trackers.

Cartridges also have the added problem of batteries going dead. Flash memory was in it's infancy in those days; when the battery dies, saved game data are lost.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Interesting, but at $3,950 plus hundreds for shipping, this deal is limited to the most loyal retro gamers.

Make that $5000:s:O

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Anyone know where I can purchase a regular Nintendo Entertainment System? Me and the girlfriend would like to play and remember the old games. We checked eBay but have been stiffed on bids before so we're looking for something more dependable.

Buy a Wii and you get the best of both worlds. You can play games from the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Genesis and TurboGraphics.
    You can also surf the web, read the news and see the weather.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Chadk wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:Interesting, but at $3,950 plus hundreds for shipping, this deal is limited to the most loyal retro gamers.

Make that $5000

make that $5,300.00...

The XNA might actually push me into getting a 360 finally, however there isn't anything like the feeling of the controllers and the console box.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2
  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Oh you mean this controller?

Smiley

Buy two. One for you and your wife.

Then plug your laptop into your HDTV.

Im going to do that, but with an N64 to USB controller adapter.

The N64 controller can be used for regular PC games too. Smiley

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I have seen them in GameSpots occasionally.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    The N64 controller can be used for regular PC games too.

Right here:
    adaptoid.comAdaptoid
    I just got this thing a few days ago, and it plus Project 64 plus Paper Mario is amazing!

• User profile image
    cescotto

Cybermagellan wrote:

If you want to do that legally you can buy a wii+classic controller and buy the games from the internet (you have to connect your wii to your wi-fi lan).

If you don't care if it's legal or not get a modded xbox 1 and install a NES emulator or connect your PC to the TV, buy a controller for your PC and use ZSNES (you can find all the games roms in a single package on bittorrent)

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

The adaptoid looks interesting but the price is a bit high at $36.99 + shipping.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.