Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 on Vista is very slow

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mbw

Has anyone else experienced this?

I just got my free copy of Vista from powertogether and did a fresh install. So far I love it, except for IE7. It was so slow to render pages, and actually locked up a few times within the first few hours of using it, I had to download firefox. I've been using ie7 on xp without issue for the past few months.

The channel9 forums, for example, take ~10 seconds to load using IE7, and about a second or less using firefox2. For me, IE7 is pretty much unusable.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Yes it is. And I used FireFox instead.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Are you using the out-of-the-box graphics drivers? The NVidia ones in particular are terrible.

• User profile image
    mbw

No I'm using the latest drivers from Nvidia (97.46)

That was the very first thing I installed after Vista was finished installing Smiley

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Don't touch newly installed Vista first 24 hours! Just leave your PC turned on for a night.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

BlackTiger wrote:
    Don't touch newly installed Vista first 24 hours! Just leave your PC turned on for a night.

Whatever....I've installed Vista & Office & Visual Studio and gone right to coding, so don't give me that BS

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Cybermagellan wrote:

BlackTiger wrote: Don't touch newly installed Vista first 24 hours! Just leave your PC turned on for a night.

Whatever....I've installed Vista & Office & Visual Studio and gone right to coding, so don't give me that BS

If your disk performance isn't so great, initial indexing isn't particularly pleasant.  Especially if you move documents on immediately or are doing an upgrade install.  This is true for WDS 3 on XP as well.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    If your disk performance isn't so great, initial indexing isn't particularly pleasant.  Especially if you move documents on immediately or are doing an upgrade install.  This is true for WDS 3 on XP as well.

On a normal disk (7200rpm), the indexer usually runs at 10/20 documents per second.

Delays in indexing may be caused by accessing MAPI stores (as they generate a LOT of emitted properties) or UNC shares (where the network latency pays a big role).

But on a fresh install you shouldn't have any problems, and the indexer is tuned to backoff pretty agressively when you are using your machine.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

mbw wrote:
    No I'm using the latest drivers from Nvidia (97.46)

That was the very first thing I installed after Vista was finished installing

Unfortunately, there's not much I can do remotely to diagnose your perf problem other than use psychic debugging.

I'm not going to put the whole blame on [name redacted]. But I've still seen the UAC flickering with [name redacted]'s latest drivers. They had serious problems w/ perf in previous driver builds. Is it still bad with the latest one? My ATI card runs like xp.

There's not anything weird about the machine right? Like a 10 year old proc or 128 megs of ram? (I have to ask just to make sure, one guy was complaining after he "test installed" a virus/malware that IE didn't work)

• User profile image
    mbw

Yeah the whole screen flickers black when a UAC dialog box pops up.

Nah, nothing weird about the machine, not the latest and greatest, but p4 3.0 ghz, 1 gig ram, nvidia 6800 gt with 256 mb, etc.

• User profile image
    idividebyze​ro

ie7 in vista is the exact same speed as ie7 in XP for me.

• User profile image
    stevo_

While we're at it, something that really does my head in on ie7 is the pointless take over of the alt key.

Here's a common example of what I may do:

Starting typing an address, ah good its already there, press up and down to go to it, press alt to press enter and open it in a new tab, oh wait its the link below I want, let go of alt... (because I can't use the arrow keys otherwise) HELLO! IM THE MENU HERE TO TAKE FOCUS OFF THE ADDRESS BAR DROP DOWN!

I know that sounds like its nothing, but surely you could just add a rule not to open the menu bar at all on 'alt key release', regardless of if its accompanied by 'return'.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

stevo_ wrote:
    While we're at it, something that really does my head in on ie7 is the pointless take over of the alt key.

Here's a common example of what I may do:

Starting typing an address, ah good its already there, press up and down to go to it, press alt to press enter and open it in a new tab, oh wait its the link below I want, let go of alt... (because I can't use the arrow keys otherwise) HELLO! IM THE MENU HERE TO TAKE FOCUS OFF THE ADDRESS BAR DROP DOWN!

I know that sounds like its nothing, but surely you could just add a rule not to open the menu bar at all on 'alt key release', regardless of if its accompanied by 'return'.

But that's how alt has always worked--  that's how it works on every browser on the face of the earth.  They shouldn't change established key shortcuts for no good reason.

• User profile image
    stevo_

No it doesn't, the difference is that it takes focus. Alt doesn't generally take focus away, ie- press alt again and you won't have done a thing to the user space ui.

In firefox, if I release alt the file menu will highlight, thats fair enough- I can hit alt again however and it will remove the highlight, the key thing is that ie removes the focus, so that the drop down list collapses back.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

PaoloM wrote:

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:If your disk performance isn't so great, initial indexing isn't particularly pleasant.  Especially if you move documents on immediately or are doing an upgrade install.  This is true for WDS 3 on XP as well.

On a normal disk (7200rpm), the indexer usually runs at 10/20 documents per second.

Delays in indexing may be caused by accessing MAPI stores (as they generate a LOT of emitted properties) or UNC shares (where the network latency pays a big role).

But on a fresh install you shouldn't have any problems, and the indexer is tuned to backoff pretty agressively when you are using your machine.

On fresh install - yes, totally agree. If you have nothing so you don't need to index anything. But, for instance, I already have 40K+ indexable items in Documents folder. They came from my previously installed XP (just on another HDD). So first day was almost useless, everything was increduibly slow (I did clean installation, not upgrade and have changed Documents folder location). But on the next day HDD relaxed and Vista started to work quite well. After next couple of days even total RAM consumption was reduced from 70% to 50-55%.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.