Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Vista problem - connecting to internet

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    naicul

Hi guys!
    I don't really know if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll give it a try:
    I've just installed Vista Business x64 (looks great!), but I'm experiencing a problem with my Internet connection. I connect to Internet trough a cable connection (I have a modem). Vista identified my network card (a realtek rtl8168/8111 family pci-e gigabit ethernet nic). The only problem is that it does not identify the network connection. It says "access: local only" and, when I try to diagnose the problem it says I have to shot down my modem for 10 secounds and then plug it again. This does not solve my problem. Does anyone have any idea where the problem could be? I'm trying to fix this since this morning, and now I look at the clock and it's nine o'clock.[C]
    Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks! 

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Have you tried plugging the ethernet port into another computer to make sure that is works properly?

• User profile image
    naicul

I forgot to say: it works. I am now connected from the same cable connection, but now I'm typeing from my laptop, which runs XP

• User profile image
    naicul

ok, let's put it this way: for my kind of connection (cable), do I have to do something special (like set up a pppoe connection - i dont really know what it is, i've just read about it somewhere), or i just have to plug the cable in my network card and that's it?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

naicul wrote:
    ok, let's put it this way: for my kind of connection (cable), do I have to do something special (like set up a pppoe connection - i dont really know what it is, i've just read about it somewhere), or i just have to plug the cable in my network card and that's it?

Wall>Wall Jack>Cable>Cable Modem>Router>Ethernet Cable>Ethernet Card

+/- Router if need be.

Hehe, I have a Wireless Card in my PC  and I can pickup my neighbors wireless....so sometimes you don't even need all that.

• User profile image
    naicul

Cybermagellan wrote:

Wall>Wall Jack>Cable>Cable Modem>Router>Ethernet Cable>Ethernet Card

ok, the modem is a "router+modem", so we apply the +/- rule. so what's the problem then? why does it tell me that my modem has a problem on Vista, but on XP works fine? I'm gonna kill myself!Mad

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

If you click on the icon in the bottom right and it said local only it should say "View Available Networks" click on that and what's available?

Also check your device manager and see if there is anything in there with ? marks.

• User profile image
    naicul

Cybermagellan wrote:
    If you click on the icon in the bottom right and it said local only it should say "View Available Networks" click on that and what's available?

It doesn't say anywhere "View available networks". The only network available is the Local Area Network I have for the Realtek card.

Also check your device manager and see if there is anything in there with ? marks.

In the device manager I have an exclamation mark. I looked for it on the Internet and it seems to be something from the mainbord (Asus P5LD2 SE), a program called AI Booster should be installed for this to go away. I've instaled it, but it seems it is not compatible with Vista... I don't really know what this AI Booster is for...

Could the problem be here?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Does your ISP require PPPOE or anything that may already be set up on your older XP machine but not in Vista?

• User profile image
    naicul

"ASUS Ai Booster is an application that allows you to overclock the CPU either manually or automatically without the hassle of entering the BIOS Setup"

I don't think this is the problem

• User profile image
    naicul

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Does your ISP require PPPOE or anything that may already be set up on your older XP machine but not in Vista?

I do not think so. Does XP sets by itself things that Vista doesn't?

I didn't set up anithing on my XP, I'm the one who installed the OS, did not set any pppoe connection or something like that...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

naicul wrote:

CannotResolveSymbol wrote: Does your ISP require PPPOE or anything that may already be set up on your older XP machine but not in Vista?

It shouldn't...  you would have had to set it up by hand in XP as well.  Just trying to think of reasons why your network wouldn't be working...

Maybe check for a firmware update for your modem...  I dunno.

• User profile image
    naicul

naicul wrote: 
    CannotResolveSymbol wrote: Does your ISP require PPPOE or anything that may already be set up on your older XP machine but not in Vista?

It shouldn't...  you would have had to set it up by hand in XP as well.  Just trying to think of reasons why your network wouldn't be working...

why do  firmware update if it works on XP? it should work on vista either... at least that's what I think...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

naicul wrote:

naicul wrote: 

why do  firmware update if it works on XP? it should work on vista either... at least that's what I think...

The network stack in Vista is completely new...  if there's even a slight bug in the router's code, Vista could run into it even though XP does not.

• User profile image
    naicul

Problem solved!
    Seems like my ISP does not support Vista (?!) and I have to set the ip/dns/subnet by hand. Now I'm posting from Vista.

Thanks for help!Cool

• User profile image
    ianp

a friend is having the same problem how do you set the ip/dns/subnet by hand.

• User profile image
    dhmuscle

I'm having the exact same problem with Comcast, how do i fix it. I have been screwing with this for 5 hours this morning, about ready to throw my cable modem through the window!!

• User profile image
    figuerres

naicul wrote:

Problem solved!
    Seems like my ISP does not support Vista (?!) and I have to set the ip/dns/subnet by hand. Now I'm posting from Vista.

Thanks for help!

that sounds rather odd....

with XP you have "assign address automaticaly" right ?

thats called DHCP

Vista also can use DHCP and that has been around for a *LONG* time.  it should work.

during beta I did find that a network adpater I used -- a netgear USB wireless one had a probblem with Vista and DHCP.
    it was a driver problem as far as I could tell.

perhaps the network driver for the card is not working right on Vista for DHCP ??

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.