Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Windows 386 Promotional Video!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Oh this is better than anything Apple has done.

Microsoft should so do something like this for Vista's launch!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=4915875929930836239&q=windows+386&b3ta

• User profile image
    Outlaw

wow.  for a second i thought i had taken hallucinogens or something.  that is truly frightening.

also, william looks like bob saget.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=4915875929930836239&q=windows+386&b3ta

OMFG!!!

WWWWWWINDOWS!!!!

I haven't seen that one for over a decade!

Wow.

Thanks - it brought back memories.

That was filmed in Building 2 (where the OS division was), Valorie and I were standing outside of camera range when the shots in the lobby were taken.

The guy who "sold her windows" was Adrian King, who was in charge of windows marketing.  He later went on to work for Real Networks, he was "the voice of real" that played when you installed Real Player.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

LarryOsterman wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote: Oh this is better than anything Apple has done.

OMFG!!!

WWWWWWINDOWS!!!!

Wow.

That was filmed in Building 2 (where the OS division was), Valorie and I were standing outside of camera range when the shots in the lobby were taken.

The takeover target guy was Frank Gaudette, who was the heart and soul of Microsoft through the 80's until he passed in the early 1990s.

The guy who "sold her windows" was Adrian King, who was in charge of windows marketing.  He later went on to work for Real Networks, he was "the voice of real" that played when you installed Real Player.

• User profile image
    jamie

* where did that come from?  is ms slowly releasing weird old promo vids?  keep going!

• User profile image
    jamie

oh man! i have never seen that

the windows rap is priceless!

just stick vista on the monitor screen and release this!

*thanks xaero!

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

LarryOsterman wrote:

OMFG!!!

WWWWWWINDOWS!!!!

Wow.

Oh LOL.

So the actors were actual co-workers then?

Who was Victoria (Linda)?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

jamie wrote:
    * where did that come from?  is ms slowly releasing weird old promo vids?  keep going!

Heh, I dunno if they are. I found it linked to an OSNews thread.

It'd be totally crazy if the Windows marketing team could conjure up another funny promo video to celebrate Vista's launch. Afterall, Vista is suppost to be the next major milestone from Windows 95.

• User profile image
    jamie

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

jamie wrote: * where did that come from?  is ms slowly releasing weird old promo vids?  keep going!

It'd be totally crazy if the Windows marketing team could conjure up another funny promo video to celebrate Vista's launch. Afterall, Vista is suppost to be the next major milestone from Windows 95.

someone should - or at least alter this one!

a) i dont know how to rip youtube flash files to avi
    b) i dont know how to place moving video - inside a moving video

c) if __(you)___ do - do it!  add vista to the screen. that would be hilarious Smiley

• User profile image
    dentaku

jamie wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote: 
    jamie wrote: * where did that come from?  is ms slowly releasing weird old promo vids?  keep going!

someone should - or at least alter this one!

a) i dont know how to rip youtube flash files to avi
    b) i dont know how to place moving video - inside a moving video

c) if __(you)___ do - do it!  add vista to the screen. that would be hilarious 

There's lots of info here for anyone who wants to save the file or convert it som something editable: http://www.ripzor.com/googleripper.html

• User profile image
    blowdart

"Is that OS/2?" Hahaha

I wish google wouldn't scale up by default.

• User profile image
    Code​Monkey666

"Boring until the 7 minute mark when the production is taken over by crack-smoking monkeys."

That was awsome! lol

• User profile image
    littleguru

LOL!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Amusing.

I've got a penchant for technology films from the golden years of personal computing, like the Apple Newton video I mentioned a while back.

Thing is, why does she pull the Windows/386 box out from under her desk in the same style women remove tampon boxes from their purses in Tampax adverts? Perhaps they're related? (after all, Windows is a taboo subject in IT circles Wink )

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

LarryOsterman wrote: 

OMFG!!!

WWWWWWINDOWS!!!!

Wow.

Oh LOL.

So the actors were actual co-workers then?

Who was Victoria (Linda)?

All the characters that had lines were actors.  Everyone else was a MS employee (AIR).

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

wow, thats freaking cool!

• User profile image
    corona_coder

That video shows you dominance was obtained by strongarming and illegal tactics, not creativity.  Looks like nothing has changed.

• User profile image
    jordanlund

I think I can answer where it came from since I'm the guy who uploaded it to Google video...

Back in the late 80s I was fresh out of High School and working for Software Etc. when Microsoft sent that tape out. A buddy of mine kept it all these years and recorded it (to his Mac!) and asked me if I wanted a copy of it.

"A copy of it!?! We have to put it on the Internet!"

So he sent me the 100+MB file which was too big, I cut it down to size using a video editor for the PSP. Even then it was still too long for YouTube (10 minute max) so I put it on Google instead.

I'd say I still have the better quality version if anyone wants it... but better quality is very much a relative term. :^)

Glad to see it's bouncing around and causing mirth.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.