Coffeehouse Thread

41 posts

Windows .NET Developer Says Leopard Years Ahead

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jack Cade

mstefan wrote:
    I think it's pretty clear there's a grassroots disinformation campaign out there on all sides

Fixed.

• User profile image
    mstefan

Jack Cade wrote:

mstefan wrote: I think it's pretty clear there's a grassroots disinformation campaign out there on all sides
    Fixed.

On all sides of what? Seriously. I have yet to read any articles that state Vista is the greatest operating system ever written and that it will solve every issue with the platform. Anecdotally, I'd say for every one moderately positive article about Vista, there's 10 or more that are negative and rabidly anti-Microsoft.  Not to mention that I have read a lot of articles that have complete inaccuracies with regard to what UAC is, how DRM works under Vista and a host of other things. From the misinformed "applications must be digitally signed to install them", to the completely ridiculous "you can't rip CDs into non-DRM formats".

Now, if you're talking about general misinformation campaigns about other operating systems not specifically in regard to Vista, then I'm sure there are. There's always folks who take no prisoners in the OS wars. But things have really gotten out of control with Vista, and unfortunately many people seem to have an unwillingness to engage their brains, think about what's actually being written and do their own research. The Gutmann whitepaper is a prime example of that.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

And Mac OS has never crashed before...

Two years and no crash.  An app did freeze once but you just get Finder to kill and reopen.

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

mstefan wrote:

On all sides of what? Seriously. I have yet to read any articles that state Vista is the greatest operating system ever written and that it will solve every issue with the platform.

And you've never ever seen any FUD except that which was directed at Microsoft? Puh-lease.

mstefan wrote:

Anecdotally, I'd say for every one moderately positive article about Vista, there's 10 or more that are negative and rabidly anti-Microsoft.  Not to mention that I have read a lot of articles that have complete inaccuracies with regard to what UAC is, how DRM works under Vista and a host of other things. From the misinformed "applications must be digitally signed to install them", to the completely ridiculous "you can't rip CDs into non-DRM formats".

Exactly. Anecdotal. If you asked a Linux or Mac user they would say exactly the same as you just have. 

• User profile image
    cescotto

mstefan wrote:

Jack Cade wrote: 
    mstefan wrote: I think it's pretty clear there's a grassroots disinformation campaign out there on all sides
    Fixed.

On all sides of what? Seriously. I have yet to read any articles that state Vista is the greatest operating system ever written and that it will solve every issue with the platform. Anecdotally, I'd say for every one moderately positive article about Vista, there's 10 or more that are negative and rabidly anti-Microsoft.  Not to mention that I have read a lot of articles that have complete inaccuracies with regard to what UAC is, how DRM works under Vista and a host of other things. From the misinformed "applications must be digitally signed to install them", to the completely ridiculous "you can't rip CDs into non-DRM formats".

Now, if you're talking about general misinformation campaigns about other operating systems not specifically in regard to Vista, then I'm sure there are. There's always folks who take no prisoners in the OS wars. But things have really gotten out of control with Vista, and unfortunately many people seem to have an unwillingness to engage their brains, think about what's actually being written and do their own research. The Gutmann whitepaper is a prime example of that.

Thank god social websites like DIGG are becoming immune to FUD and propaganda but if Microsoft won't stop screwing the users with higher prices and nosense restrictions I really doubt that the dozens of Microsoft fans left will be able to stop all that infinite flux of anti-MS stories.

Just to remember MS what kind of stories will await them when there won't be fans debunking anti-MS stories anymore:

http://www.digg.com/apple/Windows_NET_Developer_Says_Mac_OS_X_10_5_Leopard_Years_Ahead_of_Windows
    http://www.digg.com/software/I_can_get_a_Mac_Mini_for_about_the_same_as_Vista
    http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/Vista_HL1_Engine_Crashes
    http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Disadvantages_of_Windows_Vista
    http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Wait_Don_t_buy_Windows_Vista_2

and this are just yesterday's FUD stories (the ones I remember of, but probably there were others) that were removed from the front-page. Imagine the same amount of stories repeated for each of the 365 days of the year...

• User profile image
    cescotto

Jack Cade wrote:

And you've never ever seen any FUD except that which was directed at Microsoft? Puh-lease.

I have been on digg for a very very long time and I can tell you that the amount of anti-linux and anti-apple stories submitted is infinitesimal compared to the number of anti-ms stories.

If the 5 stories I pasted in my previous post reached the frontpage imagine how many are submitted each day (there are about 2000 stories submitted each day on digg, and only 20-30 reach the frontpage). We are talking about 5 anti-MS stories that reached the frontpage in a single day... same thing today, same thing tomorrow... In the meanwhile I still have to see any anti-linux or anti-mac story reaching the front-page.

• User profile image
    Kevin Daly

Jack Cade wrote:

cescotto wrote: 
    Detroit Muscle wrote: 
    thumbtacks wrote: There's no point (economically, for me) in targeting a platform with a tiny marketshare.

Less than 6% of new computers sold today run a Microsoft operating system. So tell me, thumbtacks, what platform do you target that has this "high market share?"

And how many of those new computers sold run an Apple operating system?

Including the iPod?

Ah yes, the iPod.
    Famous as a development platform...

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

Kevin Daly wrote:
    Ah yes, the iPod.

Who said anything about a development platform? Com-pu-ter.

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

cescotto wrote:

I have been on digg for a very very long time and I can tell you that the amount of anti-linux and anti-apple stories submitted is infinitesimal compared to the number of anti-ms stories.

So you are using Digg as your metric for source of FUD? Might as well use Slashdot, or C9.

Also Digg is barely two years old - I wouldn't call that a very very long time.

cescotto wrote:

In the meanwhile I still have to see any anti-linux or anti-mac story reaching the front-page.

So look elsewhere.

• User profile image
    cescotto

Jack Cade wrote:

cescotto wrote: 

So you are using Digg as your metric for source of FUD? Might as well use Slashdot, or C9.

Slashdot is prevalently visited by FOSS fans, C9 is visited prevalently by microsoft fans. Digg is neutral and it's very popular (19th most popular website in america) so I don't see why that shouldn't be used as a metric.

Jack Cade wrote:

Also Digg is barely two years old - I wouldn't call that a very very long time.

For me that's a lot of time, especially considering that I visit it daily like many other people.

Jack Cade wrote:

So look elsewhere.

And where? MSFN? Winbeta? OsNews? I don't remember seeing anti-linux or anti-mac news there too.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

cescotto wrote:

Jack Cade wrote:

If the 5 stories I pasted in my previous post reached the frontpage imagine how many are submitted each day (there are about 2000 stories submitted each day on digg, and only 20-30 reach the frontpage). We are talking about 5 anti-MS stories that reached the frontpage in a single day... same thing today, same thing tomorrow... In the meanwhile I still have to see any anti-linux or anti-mac story reaching the front-page.

Oh yeah, remember the iPhone launch?  How many articles/blogs linked saying how crap it was or "nothing new"?  Honestly you must have been on holiday that day...

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

cescotto wrote:

And where? MSFN? Winbeta? OsNews? I don't remember seeing anti-linux or anti-mac news there too.

If you want to find anti-*nix news, you'll need to pick up a copy of the Wall Streed Journal or Forbes.

• User profile image
    cescotto

Another_Darren wrote:

cescotto wrote: 
    Jack Cade wrote: 

Oh yeah, remember the iPhone launch?  How many articles/blogs linked saying how crap it was or "nothing new"?  Honestly you must have been on holiday that day...

I was there, and the front page was pratically filled with pro-iphone stories. The first iphone story reached 11000 diggs, almost a new record. The anti-iphone stories were mostly of people complaining of the cingular restrictions or things like that, but I surely don't remember many stories that could have been really classified as real "iphone bashing".

• User profile image
    Ray6

Another_Darren wrote:

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    And Mac OS has never crashed before...

Two years and no crash.  An app did freeze once but you just get Finder to kill and reopen.

Mine crashed about three months ago and about six months before that. I used to be able to crash it by visiting a certain web page using Safari.

The XP box has not crashed once, even though it runs three web servers and Office.

If Vista can match that sort of stability, then I'll be happy, but with all the new stuff that's gone in under the covers, I'm going to wait and see.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Kevin Daly wrote:

Jack Cade wrote:
    cescotto wrote: 
    Detroit Muscle wrote: 
    thumbtacks wrote: There's no point (economically, for me) in targeting a platform with a tiny marketshare.

Less than 6% of new computers sold today run a Microsoft operating system. So tell me, thumbtacks, what platform do you target that has this "high market share?"

And how many of those new computers sold run an Apple operating system?

Including the iPod?

Ah yes, the iPod.

.. and not actually an OS developed by Apple; it was licensed from a third party.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

[Rocky and Bullwinkle]

Bullwinkle: Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabid outta my hat.

Rocky: Again ?

Couldn't resist... Smiley

• User profile image
    Echostorm

Second .Net developer says constant stream of macfag generated propaganda totally gay. 

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Echostorm wrote:
    Second .Net developer says constant stream of macfag generated propaganda totally gay. 

That takes the temporary slot for Stupidest Post of 2007.

Sad

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.