Coffeehouse Thread

41 posts

Windows .NET Developer Says Leopard Years Ahead

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    caffeineHi

I have a hard time believing that Cocoa can compete with .NET 3.0/WPF much less .NET 1.1 (+MONO +DotGNU). Then try to compete with an IDE like Visual Studio. Then throw in program suite/OS integration. No way.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

cescotto wrote:

Another_Darren wrote:
    cescotto wrote: 
    Jack Cade wrote: 
    And you've never ever seen any FUD except that which was directed at Microsoft? Puh-lease.

I have been on digg for a very very long time and I can tell you that the amount of anti-linux and anti-apple stories submitted is infinitesimal compared to the number of anti-ms stories.

If the 5 stories I pasted in my previous post reached the frontpage imagine how many are submitted each day (there are about 2000 stories submitted each day on digg, and only 20-30 reach the frontpage). We are talking about 5 anti-MS stories that reached the frontpage in a single day... same thing today, same thing tomorrow... In the meanwhile I still have to see any anti-linux or anti-mac story reaching the front-page.

Oh yeah, remember the iPhone launch?  How many articles/blogs linked saying how crap it was or "nothing new"?  Honestly you must have been on holiday that day...

I was there, and the front page was pratically filled with pro-iphone stories. The first iphone story reached 11000 diggs, almost a new record. The anti-iphone stories were mostly of people complaining of the cingular restrictions or things like that, but I surely don't remember many stories that could have been really classified as real "iphone bashing".

They where there, you just got to understand people like Apple products and get excited about them.  Look at the Vista launch, not many pics of huge queues outside shops for it.  You can't blame Apple for making stuff people want.

• User profile image
    cescotto

caffeineHi wrote:
    I have a hard time believing that Cocoa can compete with .NET 3.0/WPF much less .NET 1.1 (+MONO +DotGNU). Then try to compete with an IDE like Visual Studio. Then throw in program suite/OS integration. No way.

I have a bad feeling about them releasing a win32 (by the way should I say win64 now?) version of cocoa to make mac applications compatible with windows.

• User profile image
    cescotto

Another_Darren wrote:
    They where there, you just got to understand people like Apple products and get excited about them.  Look at the Vista launch, not many pics of huge queues outside shops for it.  You can't blame Apple for making stuff people want.

I'm not blaming anybody I'm just saying that I haven't seen as much bad stories on apple products than I've seen on microsoft products.

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

cescotto wrote:

caffeineHi wrote:I have a hard time believing that Cocoa can compete with .NET 3.0/WPF much less .NET 1.1 (+MONO +DotGNU). Then try to compete with an IDE like Visual Studio. Then throw in program suite/OS integration. No way.

I have a bad feeling about them releasing a win32 (by the way should I say win64 now?) version of cocoa to make mac applications compatible with windows.

No you can still say Win32 in the same way you can still say Win16. They're both going to be around for quite a long time yet.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.