Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Shock!!! Bzzzzt....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Has anyone else lost PS2 controllers, home remote controls, etc, from static?

    We've gone through 6 PS2 controlers, and that expensive $300 Logitech universal remote...all because of the incredible static buildup from the new couch.

    The Logitech remote died probably bring shocked on it's charger. And the "normal" remotes are fine because they aren't grounded to anything...

    Wonder if there's a way to ground the couch perhaps?

  • User profile image
    Angus

    Couldn't you just stick some metal to the couch?

    On cars they have something hanging off the back that gronds it and stops you getting a shock from it when you get out.

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Angus wrote:
    Couldn't you just stick some metal to the couch?

    On cars they have something hanging off the back that gronds it and stops you getting a shock from it when you get out.

    Angus Higgins


    Maybe in England...  over here in the US, we have gas stations blow up because people repeatedly get in and out of their cars while they're filling and cause a spark from static electricity.

    I haven't killed a PS2 controller or anything with static, but I've shocked myself several times on my computer keyboard.  That can't be a good thing, especially since it's a laptop and a little difficult to replace.

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    I only seem to get shocks from pushing supermarket trollies or (more frequently at the moment) prams. 
    Rubber weels, rubber hand grips, rubber soled shoes, friction building up a static charge. Touch something grounded and *zap*; nasty blue sparks Perplexed (that's the closest emoticon for electric shock that I can see here).


    Herbie

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Look for products like EndDust or ScotchGuard and/or perhaps products that are meant to end static cling in the laundry.

    The problem isn't that your couch isn't grounded, it's that YOU aren't grounded when you touch these devices Smiley

  • User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

    Maybe another source...is there an electical appliance (table lamp, floor lamp, radio, stereo, etc.) that is brushing up against or touching the couch? If so, could be a loose or worn wire in the appliance transmitting the current? Also, if you have underfloor electric heating, the same loose or broken cable idea may be causing it?

  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    ...over here in the US, we have gas stations blow up because people repeatedly get in and out of their cars while they're filling and cause a spark from static electricity.
    We do? I've seen the warning signs on the pumps but I've never heard of a station exploding because of a spark.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Jason Cox wrote:
    
    CannotResolveSymbol wrote: ...over here in the US, we have gas stations blow up because people repeatedly get in and out of their cars while they're filling and cause a spark from static electricity.
    We do? I've seen the warning signs on the pumps but I've never heard of a station exploding because of a spark.


    I was exaggerating a bit...  but most cars aren't grounded.  That's why they have those warnings.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    I was exaggerating a bit...  but most cars aren't grounded.  That's why they have those warnings.


    Don't think cars are meant to be grounded. If I remember right in the cars 12v system it's a negative ground system. So the battery itself is the ground. The thing hanging at the bottom is probably just for static shock you get sometimes when you get out of car, like I do Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.