Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bank of... Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Refrax

what if this is just the start of Microsoft moving to make a banking system?
    http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/robert/archive/2007/01/28/microsoft-to-open-points-micro-payment-framework.aspx

if Microsoft was to have real money what would it be called? other then points.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Refrax wrote:

I'm too tired to work on a full gag, but the punchline would be 'Micro$oft'.

Herbie

• User profile image
    BryanF

Refrax wrote:
    what if this is just the start of Microsoft moving to make a banking system?
    http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/robert/archive/2007/01/28/microsoft-to-open-points-micro-payment-framework.aspx

Monopoly Money? Big Smile

(I'm only kidding!)

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Windows Live Payments = willies.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I sure wouldn't mind if they'd open up Points to the rest of the world...  it could mean that I never have to send a credit card number flying across the internet again (since you can buy MS Points cards at brick-and-mortar stores).

That's one thing I wish PayPal would do--  sell prepaid cards in stores.  It would probably be impractical for large orders, but for small orders, it could improve the security of internet transactions a lot.  There's no possibility for credit card theft if your credit card info never goes out on the internet.

• User profile image
    zian

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    I sure wouldn't mind if they'd open up Points to the rest of the world...  it could mean that I never have to send a credit card number flying across the internet again (since you can buy MS Points cards at brick-and-mortar stores).

That's one thing I wish PayPal would do--  sell prepaid cards in stores.  It would probably be impractical for large orders, but for small orders, it could improve the security of internet transactions a lot.  There's no possibility for credit card theft if your credit card info never goes out on the internet.

Right now, with Citibank (not sure about the other banks), you can generate a virtual number that does what you described except that it works just like a regular credit card.
    It can only be used 1 time, you can set a limit (so the shop can't bill a few $1000 more than you expected), and you can set the expiration date.

• User profile image
    Ray6

zian wrote:

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:I sure wouldn't mind if they'd open up Points to the rest of the world...  it could mean that I never have to send a credit card number flying across the internet again (since you can buy MS Points cards at brick-and-mortar stores).

Right now, with Citibank (not sure about the other banks), you can generate a virtual number that does what you described except that it works just like a regular credit card.
    It can only be used 1 time, you can set a limit (so the shop can't bill a few $1000 more than you expected), and you can set the expiration date.

Cahoot has been doing this for about four or five years in the UK. A program generates a credit card number for you which you can set your own limit on. The card expires after a month.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.