Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New ATI Vista Drivers out

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

With 64bit goodness. And Mobility support without having to crack the inf.

Hurrah

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

• User profile image
    littleguru

*sniff* nvidia here *sniff*

Edit: www.nvidia.com doesn't even open here - hmmm

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Well that was a total let down, cursor still twitches when the catalyst control center is installed and I can only play HD-DVD content on my primary monitor (PowerDVD 7.1).  X1600 Dual Port DVI BTW.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

On the desktop an X1300:
    My CCC doesn't seem to sit in the tray anymore or come up on startup.
    Quicktime BSOD'd me from user mode (yay!).
    Think they fixed the issue where I can let the monitor go to power save, have the machine go to the lock screen and then the monitor wouldn't power on again to let me login, I would have to login blind.

[C]

Laptop an X1400 mobility:
    Not sure of any problems.
    I couldn't try Counterstrike:Source. My steam install flaked after working for 2 months (no clue why). Attempts to reinstall steam did not recognize my game data already on disk, disk filled up while it was downloading, nuked steam dir and redownloading now...

• User profile image
    PetKnep

CS:S dust2 numbers are 60-100 fps on the X1400 mobility. Seems like an alright driver Big Smile

I'm so glad they stopped making the mobility updates through OEMs. It was such a pain to inf hack to get rid of game specific issues (e.g. random Doom 3 crashes).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PetKnep wrote:
    CS dust2 numbers are 60-100 fps on the X1400 mobility. Seems like an alright driver 

Stop camping with the AWP.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

W3bbo wrote:

PetKnep wrote: CS dust2 numbers are 60-100 fps on the X1400 mobility. Seems like an alright driver 

Stop camping with the AWP.

Aren't you guys sick of CS by now?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

PerfectPhase wrote:
    PowerDVD 7.1

There's a PowerDVD 7.1 now? Where'd you get it? I can't find it on the Cyberlink site (there is mention of PowerDVD 7 being "Vista Certified" with an apparent release date of 2007-01-24, but the trial download is still from May 2006).

Playing DVDs is still one of the things I have to use XP for because PowerDVD refuses to work properly (video and sound issues) on Vista. Although those issues could be driver-related (nVidia and Creative).

Strangely enough, all the updates for PDVD7 have seemed to have disappeared from the Cyberlink site.

• User profile image
    Massif

LaBomba wrote:

Aren't you guys sick of CS by now?

He's a witch! Burn him!!!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Sven Groot wrote:
    Strangely enough, all the updates for PDVD7 have seemed to have disappeared from the Cyberlink site.

And a new one has been put up, one that lists increased Vista compatibility among the changes.

I installed it, and it does seem to improve things. Video is now smoothed properly, it is no longer blocky. But unfortunately SPDIF still doesn't work. I'm not sure who's fault this is anymore; I'd be inclined to say Creative but the same symptoms appear with the on-board Realtek. Whatever the case I have logged a support incident with Cyberlink about it, we'll see what they have to say. Surround sound does work via the analog outputs.

At least I can now watch DVDs where having the most perfect audio experience isn't that important in Vista. But for movies with nice soundtracks, I'm sticking with XP until I can use my external decoder again.

EDIT: And I just tried, DVD-Audio works! Previously when I tried to play the The Two Tower audo DVD on Vista, with the 5.1 Packed PCM track PDVD would give a message about the track not being permitted or something and fall back to 2.0. Now it works. And, it even works when PDVD doesn't have administrator rights, something which doesn't even work on XP!

And here the lack of SPDIF doesn't matter since Packed PCM 5.1 doesn't work with that anyway. I did have to manually increase the global mixer settings to use 24 bit to get the full quality though (and yes, I can hear that Smiley ).

• User profile image
    Gail

I've seen in some blogs like Lifehacker, Gizmodo and DDF about a company called Radarsync offering a free repository of Vista-compatible drivers - http://radarsync.com/vista for everybody's download pleasure. Anybody here tried it?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.