Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Ego-Driven Web?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

With the proliferation of blogs, myspace accounts and their related entities, I'm noticing something. Maybe this trend was always there, and in some places it is worse than others. But is the web turning into a place filled with people who essentially like to sit hear themselves talk (or post)? It seems like the amount of useful information (in general) has been dropping over the past few years, and often I wonder if many posters on many forums and blogs (not so much on this forum though) just sit back and post things to see how many people reply.

So I ask: where are all the quality conversations going? Or is the web turning into a huge ego-thing, where the original poster can say "look, they really love me! I've got lots of comments!" even if the comments aren't all that interesting to begin with. I remember chatrooms on AOL, and many of them were kind of boring, too, but usually you could find somebody to hold an intelligent conversation with.

For instance, I recently posted some insightful comments on another bulletin board in the middle of a thread (or at least I thought the comments were pretty insightful and addressed the original topic). The comments were ignored and followed up by several people talking non-stop for pages about themselves.

Perplexed

• User profile image
    Massif

So... The internet is becoming more and more like real life then? Big Smile

Now, if only we could ignore people on the internet too.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

How true...I once read a book that stated most people you have conversations with (in a room at a party, for instance) are so focused on themselves that most of the time they won't even remember anything about what you said.

Humility and the act of listening seem to be lost arts...

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    It seems like the amount of useful information (in general) has been dropping over the past few years

This is a common misconception. What happens is when the barrier of entry is lowered, anyone can post. So the percentage of useful information may be dropping, but the amount of useful information just going up and up. We need to develop better filters, mental as well as technical, but the amount of good, solid information available to us - opinions, editorials, commentary, data, everything. Just going up.

The comments were ignored and followed up by several people talking non-stop for pages about themselves.

That's a different topic, that of etiquette and manners. This isn't even an internet-culture debate, it's a general western-culture debate. Smiley
    Remember, the more people agree with you, learn from your comments or consider them worthwhile, the less they will respond - simply because saying "I agree" isn't considered a constructive addition to the conversation.

• User profile image
    Massif

How true...I once read a book that stated most people you have conversations with (in a room at a party, for instance) are so focused on themselves that most of the time they won't even remember anything about what you said.

Humility and the act of listening seem to be lost arts...

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Big Smile

(That doesn't really work in text form, never mind.)

It's true though that people will only reply to your message if they either a: disagree or b: don't think you've gone far enough (disagree the other way.)

Being fair and balanced is a dead-end conversation wise on the internet.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Yggdrasil wrote:

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote: It seems like the amount of useful information (in general) has been dropping over the past few years

This is a common misconception. What happens is when the barrier of entry is lowered, anyone can post. So the percentage of useful information may be dropping, but the amount of useful information just going up and up. We need to develop better filters, mental as well as technical, but the amount of good, solid information available to us - opinions, editorials, commentary, data, everything. Just going up.
    I should have clarified that...the volume is increasing as a whole, and there are a lot things that are much faster to access now than ever before.

Yggdrasil wrote:

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote: The comments were ignored and followed up by several people talking non-stop for pages about themselves.

That's a different topic, that of etiquette and manners. This isn't even an internet-culture debate, it's a general western-culture debate.
    Remember, the more people agree with you, learn from your comments or consider them worthwhile, the less they will respond - simply because saying "I agree" isn't considered a constructive addition to the conversation.
    That's what is kind of wacky, though...the more you are right/fair/balanced...the less people reply.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Massif wrote:
    Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

(That doesn't really work in text form, never mind.)
    Say what now?

Wink
    Massif wrote:
    It's true though that people will only reply to your message if they either a: disagree or b: don't think you've gone far enough (disagree the other way.)

Being fair and balanced is a dead-end conversation wise on the internet.
    Maybe this is why trolls succeed so often? Seriously, though, I've noticed that, too...it seems to be the opposite in real life, though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.