Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Mac to Vista - One Reporters Story

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

"Reporter Joe Hutsko made the switch several weeks ago, from his 12” PowerBook to a 17” HP widescreen notebook in order to try out Microsoft's new operating system Windows Vista."

Now it's kind of an awkward article since the reporter is/was a Mac user...however the article is on http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Nice article.  Once again, evidence that Windows is done.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

corona_coder wrote:
    Nice article.  Once again, evidence that Windows is done.

Indeed. We shipped yesterday, didn't you notice?

• User profile image
    Sampy

Cat lover not impressed with new dog.

Film at 11.

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

PaoloM wrote:

We did. Did anyone else? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    dentaku

Jack Cade wrote:

PaoloM wrote: Indeed. We shipped yesterday, didn't you notice?

We did. Did anyone else?

Probably not.
    Most people have no clue what an operating system is or which one they're using.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I don't know if it's in the news in other countries, but in Belgium, it was one of the main topics of the news on TV.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

dentaku wrote:

Jack Cade wrote: 
    PaoloM wrote: Indeed. We shipped yesterday, didn't you notice?

We did. Did anyone else?

Probably not.
    Most people have no clue what an operating system is or which one they're using.

I think you underestimate "most people".

• User profile image
    webmonkey

TommyCarlier wrote:
    I don't know if it's in the news in other countries, but in Belgium, it was one of the main topics of the news on TV.

It was here too, but for the love of god I wish the BBC would stop covering technology. It just makes me cringe watching it.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Most people know which OS they're using but dont know how it works nor do they care.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

PaoloM wrote:

corona_coder wrote: Nice article.  Once again, evidence that Windows is done.

I went into a Walmart and Staples after we were able to declare Victory at Best Buy and asked them about Vista.  Walmart said I was the only person to ask about it.  Staples said I was the only one that came in today and mentioned Vista.  I made the comment " So Vista has been a flop"  He said " pretty much".

• User profile image
    PaoloM

corona_coder wrote:

PaoloM wrote: 

I went into a Walmart and Staples after we were able to declare Victory at Best Buy and asked them about Vista.  Walmart said I was the only person to ask about it.  Staples said I was the only one that came in today and mentioned Vista.  I made the comment " So Vista has been a flop"  He said " pretty much".

Considering your history of lies, you'll forgive me if I don't put too much faith in your words...

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

From what I observed at Best Buy over the weekend and at Fry's today, it's pretty much standard fare for a consumer Windows release.  Just like XP, there are people talking about compatibility "issues" (largely discussing myths or people trying to sound more knowledgeable than they actually are - kind of like my father used to try and do at car dealerships), but by and large people are impressed when they play with it on the new demo PCs at the store.

Anyone calling Vista a "flop" halfway through its first day of general availability is obviously persuing their own personal agenda.  This isn't a next-gen game console with tightly limited quantities, as there are undoubtedly plenty of Vista DVDs to go around.  This also isn't like the Windows 95 launch... why?  Because these days, people have generally good experiences with their computers and they're comfortable with them.  They weren't in the days before Windows 95 came around.  Finally, millions of people already have their copies of Vista - from beta testers who received it as a reward and MSDN members, to those who obtained it illegally and will soon feel the swift justice of Activation / Genuine Advantage felled upon them  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    PetKnep

PaoloM wrote:

corona_coder wrote: 
    PaoloM wrote: 

Considering your history of lies, you'll forgive me if I don't put too much faith in your words...

Ha Paolo, reminds me of this http://thinkblog.org/2006/02/28/when-liars-are-found-out/

You declared victory at Best Buy? :O Schadenfreude?

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

corona_coder wrote:

I can believe it.  I'm not saying its true, just that its possible there is a place where people weren't waiting in line to grab Vista hot off the shelf.  Windows longevity is in its business model first and product second.  Microsoft will offer deals that will make sure the new OS is tied to new hardware sales with all major computer dealers.  Maybe a Microsoft emp can verify this, but it doesn't seem to me that off-the-shelf box sales are the meat and potatoes of Microsoft's game.  If it were, the prerelease hype would have been more along the lines of a Swartzenegger film.  The real proof of success in the product will be its real gross versus its projected gross.  Even if it doesn't perform as well Microsoft expects, I have a strong suspicision it won't be in the red.  On the other hand I'm not convinced it will be to XP what XP was to its predessors.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

k2t0f12d wrote:

corona_coder wrote: I went into a Walmart and Staples after we were able to declare Victory at Best Buy and asked them about Vista.  Walmart said I was the only person to ask about it.  Staples said I was the only one that came in today and mentioned Vista.  I made the comment " So Vista has been a flop"  He said " pretty much".

I can believe it.  I'm not saying its true, just that its possible there is a place where people weren't waiting in line to grab Vista hot off the shelf.  Windows longevity is in its business model first and product second.  Microsoft will offer deals that will make sure the new OS is tied to new hardware sales with all major computer dealers.  Maybe a Microsoft emp can verify this, but it doesn't seem to me that off-the-shelf box sales are the meat and potatoes of Microsoft's game.  If it were, the prerelease hype would have been more along the lines of a Swartzenegger film.  The real proof of success in the product will be its real gross versus its projected gross.  Even if it doesn't perform as well Microsoft expects, I have a strong suspicision it won't be in the red.  On the other hand I'm not convinced it will be to XP what XP was to its predessors.

I agree with you 100% on that--  the majority of Microsoft's Windows sales already come from OEM purchases or purchases for a new computer, so Vista won't be any different.  I know I won't be buying it until I get a new machine...  it's not worth the money, especially not for the lingering issues that always plague a Windows gold version.

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

corona_coder wrote:
    PaoloM wrote: 

Whoa! Steady with the lying accusations there .... !

Still, it did remind me of an old friend of a friend of mine though. Great bloke. Very fantical about the whole Linux thing.

He used to fight the great fight, screaming that Linux was the greatest thing since ... the last greatest thing. Hung around the usual forums and bad mouthed MS at every opportunity.

And he used to do this from the most tricked out Windows box I've ever seen. This was a monster; he'd put it together himself.

I asked him, if he was so big on Linux, how come he didn't use it. Well, he had a huge stack of reasons which eventually added up to "He had to use Windows for his games, work and his life".

When I read some of the messages that get thrown around the internet, I sometimes wonder if they're actually written from Windows machines, by people who are just caught up in a hype wave.
    Could explain why the Linux desktop share is falling ... the community is actually running Windows on the sly ... Perplexed

• User profile image
    Ray6

corona_coder wrote:

You 'declared victory at Best Buy' ????

ROFL!! ... Big Smile

Oh, and by the way, when you ask a question and you want an honest answer, then you have to frame it differently; basic marketing my son ...

"So ... how are the Vista sales going?"

That is a question.

You basically told him what you wanted you wanted to hear; and he, faced with a man driven half mad by a tiny shrinking market share, thought it was best to oblige you; in case you went on one of the 'Geek Rampages'.
    You know the ones, where you march into a store with a Linux distro, cuffing old ladies around the back of the head when you see them trying to read the back of a Windows boxes?

"NO GRANDMA!! NOT THAT ONE!!!"

Or worse, perhaps he was worried that if he didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, then you may call for back up.
    He'd heard that the infamous  'Stallman Seven' had rappelled from flying distro disks, (because as  any Linux geek will tell you, Linux code can actually empower any non-sentient object with the power of flight - beat that Balmer!) 'and had successfully stormed the local PC World, fighting three teenage female shop assistants to standstill, before pushing over a Windows Vista display and making a daring escape across the car park.

Yup, the guy knew he'd be in trouble with the manager if he brought that kind Linux Special Forces schtick down on their branch.

"So, Vista has been a flop" (twitch, twitch)
    "Yuh .. y .. yeah, pretty much."

As I said

"So Vista has been a flop" isn't a question; it's an invitation for someone to tell you something that , if they're really lucky, will make you leave and cause trouble somewhere else.

Yet another example of well meaning Linux folk, shooting themselves in the foot.
    I've often said that before the MS monopoly, came the really dumb mistakes by their competition; here's another example of the same.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.