Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PowerShell 1.0 Released for Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mstefan

At long last, Microsoft has released PowerShell 1.0 for Vista. I've been waiting a while for this, and really wasn't interested in going through the gymnastics of hacking the XP build. It was probably the only thing that I really missed when I dumped my old XP development system and moved completely over to Vista when the RTM build was published.

Today is a good day.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Cool.

But what the heck is a .msu and how does one deploy one silently? Perplexed

• User profile image
    mstefan

An MSU is an update installer package. PowerShell is actually considered an update to the Vista operating system, so it isn't installed like your typical stand-alone program. It's more like how you get system updates through the Windows Update applet. I don't know that you can install it silently because it requires privilege elevation, so you're going to get a UAC prompt.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Yes, it seems to be a replacement for update.exe based packages. I'm just wondering from a sys admin POV what the best way to deploy such things is (Group Policy is presumably out) since that's going to be important at some stage I guess.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.