Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Gates gets asked about the price issue we've all been wondering about.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

Doesn't give much of an answer though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6310000/newsid_6314500/6314529.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm

About 3:50 if you want to skip.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

For the benefit of those unable to view the video (e.g. people like me using a Terminal Server right now) can you repeat what he said?

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Something along the lines of:

We aim to have a general world price without much difference, i'm not sure how the exchange rate might be affecting that right now but it should be largely in line.

Which means either someone isn't telling him it costs 75% more here when the exchange rate is very favourable, or he meant to say "because you guys will just keep paying it, haha</nelson>"

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

From memory, it was along the lines of Microsoft try and have a global price point, but there's obviously some regional variance.

I think it was pretty clear he wasn't sure what the prices were in the UK or Europe, and so couldn't address it head on, with the standard phrase - products are priced in accordance to the market in each region etc etc.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

What about other software for sale across the pond like PhotoShop. Does all software have the same increase in price?

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:
    For the benefit of those unable to view the video (e.g. people like me using a Terminal Server right now) can you repeat what he said?

This is the trans-script (well, it is almost accurate):

Video wrote:

Interviewer: I must ask you about price, it's a constant feature of the debate in Britain about levels of consumer cost. Why will the British consumer pay more for this than the American consumer?
    Bill Gates: Well we try to keep our prices largely in line from country to country, and I don't even... actually... I haven't followed how the exchange rate may have made that drift but we...
    Interviewer: Should be broadly level?
    Bill Gates: ...Currently have a worldwide price you do get some things where things can get a bit out of alignment as currencies go up and down.
    Interviewer: But you wouldn't expect to see a big difference?
    Bill Gates: Err, our goal across our product line is to largely have a global way of looking at things.

(Or at least, that is what I think everyone is talking about).

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    corona_coder

One guarantee in life though.  The price of Linux will never go up.  It will always be free.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

corona_coder wrote:
    One guarantee in life though.  The price of Linux will never go up.  It will always be free.

And the same 26 people will be the only ones using it.

• User profile image
    dahat

corona_coder wrote:

Really? And here all this time I thought that the reason that Linux was free was because its contributors choose to use the GPL for their releases... a choice they have because of their copyrights on the code. You do know that copyright does expire right? I blogged about this very concept a couple of years ago albeit completely theoretical.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Harlequin wrote:
    What about other software for sale across the pond like PhotoShop. Does all software have the same increase in price?

Not all. Adobe is worse than Microsoft though.

Apple's increases aren't quite as big from what I remember.

• User profile image
    Bas

Meanwhile, Nick White replied about the same issue on the Vista Blog. His response:

I've conferred with the colleagues of mine responsible for pricing and have learned that in each locale throughout the world, Windows Vista is close in price to what customers would have paid for Windows XP.  To more directly answer your question, yes, you can buy Windows Vista from a US retailer and use it in the UK without fear of functionality issues.

I'm not entirely sure about that logic. I wonder what version of Vista is comparable to XP Pro. Because if it's Ultimate, then I'm still paying €200 too much. If it's Business, then they have a point.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Bas wrote:

I'm not entirely sure about that logic. I wonder what version of Vista is comparable to XP Pro. Because if it's Ultimate, then I'm still paying €200 too much. If it's Business, then they have a point.

XP Pro in roughly equivalent to Vista Business, XP MCE is probably closest to Vista Home Premium.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Bas wrote:

Meanwhile, Nick White replied about the same issue on the Vista Blog. His response:

I've conferred with the colleagues of mine responsible for pricing and have learned that in each locale throughout the world, Windows Vista is close in price to what customers would have paid for Windows XP.  To more directly answer your question, yes, you can buy Windows Vista from a US retailer and use it in the UK without fear of functionality issues.

But that doesn't explain why XP had such a price difference.  All that says is 'our pricing policy has not changed with Vista', it does not explain the pricing policy.

Can someone from Microsoft please explain the pricing policy?

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:

Bas wrote:

XP Pro in roughly equivalent to Vista Business, XP MCE is probably closest to Vista Home Premium.

Vista Enterprise more like.

With a name like "Business Edition" I think of babyboomer-led small businesses, "Professional" was a product that suited all "non-home" situations.

Before Windows Vista Enterprise Edition, the "Enterprise" tag was only used on server products y'know.

Here's a peev I have with Vista:

Since I have a home domain, I'm limited to Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate, and if I want Media Center I'm forced to use Ultimate, and Enterprise is only available via volume-licensing.

Microsoft claims to be supporting power-users, but this way I'm being royally screwed.

....because I'm planning on building a Vista MCE box for the living room (because the Vaio laptop doing the deed has a habit of BSoDing). Any suggestions?

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo wrote:

Vista Enterprise more like.

Why?

The only difference between Business and Enterprise is the inclusion of Bitlocker and SFU, neither of which were in XP Pro. I'm running Business and certainly haven't noticed anything 'missing'.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

W3bbo wrote:
    Since I have a home domain, I'm limited to Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate, and if I want Media Center I'm forced to use Ultimate, and Enterprise is only available via volume-licensing.

Well, you do realize that this scenario was not possible (conserving full functionality) in XP, right? Smiley

Another thing that Vista does better than XP, you can use it as a Media Center while using an extender and while logged on a domain.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.