Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A dystopian future - looking beyond Windows Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cescotto

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/A_dystopian_future_looking_beyond_Windows_Vista

Whaat? Another propaganda story badvista-style, where the usual tinfoil-hat guy invent some weird improbable futures full of DRM just by reading at a patent draft.

If there's somebody that wants to debunk this please feel free to do so because this story is going to reach the frontpage in a few hours.

There's also a bonus propaganda story for tonight:

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/101_reasons_why_Linux_is_better_than_Windows

(yes, this one is also heading from the frontpage)

• User profile image
    PaoloM

cescotto, I'll let you in a very well kept secret, the proportions of the Da Vinci code stuff...

Nobody cares about what is posted on digg.

And by "nobody" I mean, the vast vast majority of the public and consumers doesn't care a single iota about what goes on in an echo chamber like digg or slashdot.

And you know why? Because the vast vast majority of the public and consumers are quite more intelligent than the average poster on slashdot and digg and do not fall for lies and FUD once they have access to some information.

Even if they knew what osnews, linuxtoday or slashdot were in the first place.

• User profile image
    jamie

i dont know if id put digg in that company...

digg seems to be a way for regular folk to reach concensus - globaly
    ..power to the people and all that.... 
    <subliminal guy>buy it!</sg>Tongue Out

• User profile image
    cescotto

PaoloM wrote:
    cescotto, I'll let you in a very well kept secret, the proportions of the Da Vinci code stuff...

Nobody cares about what is posted on digg.

And by "nobody" I mean, the vast vast majority of the public and consumers doesn't care a single iota about what goes on in an echo chamber like digg or slashdot.

And you know why? Because the vast vast majority of the public and consumers are quite more intelligent than the average poster on slashdot and digg and do not fall for lies and FUD once they have access to some information.

Even if they knew what osnews, linuxtoday or slashdot were in the first place.

I wouldn't be all that sure about that, I had plenty of people calling me to ask about those FUD stories like "trusted computing", "vista that deletes MP3s" etc.

http://www.digg.com/apple/Windows_Vista_Too_many_versions_too_much_confusion oh no, another anti-MS story going to reach the frontpage! Help Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

PaoloM wrote:

and I'll let you in on another one:

everyone here is perfectly capable of reading Digg for themselves.

If you're going to link something, link to the source and provide useful commentary about that.  Don't link to Digg, it's irritating and useless.

• User profile image
    cescotto

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

PaoloM wrote: cescotto, I'll let you in a very well kept secret, the proportions of the Da Vinci code stuff...

and I'll let you in on another one:

everyone here is perfectly capable of reading Digg for themselves.

If you're going to link something, link to the source and provide useful commentary about that.  Don't link to Digg, it's irritating and useless.

Err there's a reason if I link the digg pages of the anti-MS stories that are going to reach the frontpage instead of the direct link... if you know digg you can guess it. You can read those stories tomorrow or...

• User profile image
    PetKnep

Heh, we know digg and slashdot aren't in love with MS. I read them both to keep up on tech news and to make sure I get a well rounded view of what the world thinks of MS/IE/etc. I'm glad you get pissed when they tell lies/half truths/misrepresent things about Windows. You don't have to get worked up about it though Cool

Vista will make it through the FUD/insults. It's got a rough start, it'll pull through though. We're getting a good rank on Amazon and my self hosting has been going good. Still waiting on some drivers from certain IHVs tho Sad

• User profile image
    cescotto

PetKnep wrote:

Heh, we know digg and slashdot aren't in love with MS. I read them both to keep up on tech news and to make sure I get a well rounded view of what the world thinks of MS/IE/etc. I'm glad you get pissed when they tell lies/half truths/misrepresent things about Windows. You don't have to get worked up about it though

Slashdot is biased, digg is not: it's visited by 50% and more windows users but unfortunately it's plagued by cheaters. Many linux and apple users in fact submit plenty of biased and invented anti-MS stories that they link in their community sites/forums to get plenty of diggs and pushing them to the front page. Unlike slashdot users that are mostly microsoft-haters (so they don't care at all if a anti-MS story reaches the front page) digg is a more wide and open community so the impact that an anti-MS story can have on digg is a lot worse than what happens on slashdot.

PetKnep wrote:

Vista will make it through the FUD/insults. It's got a rough start, it'll pull through though. We're getting a good rank on Amazon and my self hosting has been going good. Still waiting on some drivers from certain IHVs tho

It will surely make it, because people will buy it with computers but I think you've missed some of my stories of the previous days. For example the story about the ubuntu/debian windows installer that now lets everybody install ubuntu like they install firefox or any other application. This isn't 1995 anymore, there won't be another windows 95 and if Microsoft continues neglecting his fanbase (like it's doing now with screwed-up licenses, plenty of different vista versions, etc) they risk starting losing marketshare because switching to another OS hasn't ever been this easier.

BTW if you want to find out what a windows user becomes after switching look at corona_coder's posts (he's going to answer here too in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...), or any post of those mac zealots on digg: that says it all.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

Dude, digg is biased. It's an apple site man. The windows users are just visitors they aren't actually welcome Big Smile

Don't poke the trolls, it only encourages them. Just ignore, leave them be.

As for fanservice:
    I'm with you on the licenses, I don't know how I'd redo it. I'm glad I'm not in charge of it.

I like the tiered licensing though. It's a little more confusing, but I think it provides the feature sets for the different sets of users of the computer world. One SKU is not enough for sure. If you take XP which has Home, Pro and MCE then add premium SKUs to home and pro, you get the current SKU set.

MS still supports developers better than any company I can think of. The tools are better than everyone else. XNA, Visual Studio (+Debugger!!), C#, DirectX, MSDN. All great for devs.

/got a horrible cold right now, winter is killin me, sorry if it's incoherent

• User profile image
    Ray6

cescotto wrote:
    http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/A_dystopian_future_looking_beyond_Windows_Vista

Whaat? Another propaganda story badvista-style, where the usual tinfoil-hat guy invent some weird improbable futures full of DRM just by reading at a patent draft.

If there's somebody that wants to debunk this please feel free to do so because this story is going to reach the frontpage in a few hours.

There's also a bonus propaganda story for tonight:

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/101_reasons_why_Linux_is_better_than_Windows

(yes, this one is also heading from the frontpage)

Er ... I kind of think its okay that its getting a rough ride.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.