Coffeehouse Thread

44 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Not For Resale

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    shuff1203

The VISTA Business DVD that MS is giving away from the Power Together web site says "Not For Resale".  They have shut down my ebay auction on this item.  I'm not a lawyer, but if it was given away it was never sold - so I'm not "RE" selling it am I? 

I understand what I'm selling is a license, but I think software people have gone crazy with some interpretations of things.  I'm selling a license of Vista that was given to me. 

• User profile image
    littleguru

Take it as Microsoft has sold it to you for 0 $

• User profile image
    webmonkey

shuff1203 wrote:
    The VISTA Business DVD that MS is giving away from the Power Together web site says "Not For Resale".  They have shut down my ebay auction on this item.  I'm not a lawyer, but if it was given away it was never sold - so I'm not "RE" selling it am I? 

I understand what I'm selling is a license, but I think software people have gone crazy with some interpretations of things.  I'm selling a license of Vista that was given to me. 

You're kidding right ?

You think they're crazy, when you are trying to play with words to make it sound like you're allowed to profit out of a free giveaway.

You've stopped someone that did want it from getting it, and Microsoft want to make sure you can't profit out of that.

• User profile image
    shuff1203

People profit from free give aways all the time.

If someone wants to purchase something you've been given then have at it.

All I'm saying is just because someone says "Not For Resale" doens't mean that's the end of the story. 

It's like the dump trucks that go down the road with signs that say "Not Responsible For Items Thrown From Truck"  - that doesn't really mean that are not responsible just because they have a sign.  If that was the case insurance companies would have all of us put signs on our cars that just read "Not Responsible" then when I run into you and you call up the insurance company they would say - ya sorry did you read the sign.

• User profile image
    Massif

Check the Ts and Cs of the offer, I'm prepared to bet it says something like "award is not transferrable and cannot be sold."

The "Not for Resale" sticker is there more so anyone who buys it off you knows you've broken the rules. The actual rules will be written somewhere else. (I'm guessing.)

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

shuff1203 wrote:

You think like a theif.

"You don't want to resell Vista Business DVD."
    "You want to go home and rethink your life."

Downloading music and movies from off-shore web sites is also illegal. You can stop that practice if you so engage.

Good luck.
    [A]

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

sirhomer wrote:
    This guy has a point. How exactly can Microsoft enforce "Not for Resale" on software? Did you sign a contract with them?

His point is that he wants to profit from other's work.

That is unethical and immoral.

What other point can you find?

Cool

• User profile image
    Massif

"I accept the terms and conditions contained within..." blah blah blah.

I didn't get to take part in the powertogether offer, but they'll be terms and conditions and taking part will be requisite upon accepting them. So yes, you signed a contract - in a sense. (Although I don't know what the terms were, but I distinctly remember one of them being you must be resident in the US or Canada - I kinda stopped reading at that point.)

• User profile image
    phreaks

Massif wrote:
    "I accept the terms and conditions contained within..." blah blah blah.

I didn't get to take part in the powertogether offer, but they'll be terms and conditions and taking part will be requisite upon accepting them. So yes, you signed a contract - in a sense. (Although I don't know what the terms were, but I distinctly remember one of them being you must be resident in the US or Canada - I kinda stopped reading at that point.)

I will sell you a 1 meter by 1 meter piece of my property. Then you can say you are a resident, no?

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

phreaks wrote:

Massif wrote: "I accept the terms and conditions contained within..." blah blah blah.

I will sell you a 1 meter by 1 meter piece of my property. Then you can say you are a resident, no?

No.

• User profile image
    Massif

I'd have to come and live on it for a certain number of days a year. Good offer though Big Smile

I'm not sure I could do it, although I could get one of those pillboxes they use at Buckingham palace and become a tourist attraction.

I think I enjoy my residency in the UK too much thanks.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Massif wrote:
    I'd have to come and live on it for a certain number of days a year. Good offer though

I'm not sure I could do it, although I could get one of those pillboxes they use at Buckingham palace and become a tourist attraction.

OK, but don't say I never offered Tongue Out

For an extended fee I would even run electricity out there for you. [A]

• User profile image
    PaoloM

phreaks wrote:

Massif wrote: I'd have to come and live on it for a certain number of days a year. Good offer though

OK, but don't say I never offered

For an extended fee I would even run electricity out there for you.

What about broadband? That would clinch the deal Smiley

• User profile image
    phreaks

PaoloM wrote:

phreaks wrote: 
    Massif wrote: I'd have to come and live on it for a certain number of days a year. Good offer though

OK, but don't say I never offered

For an extended fee I would even run electricity out there for you.

What about broadband? That would clinch the deal

Of course, wireless broadband is included. And the Tx rate I am subscribed to is 15 Mb downstream, 3 Mb Upstream; so it's a decent package. Thrown in free of charge, no usage restrictions.

Heck, I could prolly offer about 30 or 40 of these deals, so if you're in need of a US residency; I am your man.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Uhmm... a pity I'm here already Smiley

• User profile image
    shuff1203

I think like a theif?  That is ridiculous.

You people really are crazy.  I am against piracy - It's not like I'm copying software and selling it. 

BELIEVE IT OR NOT - I signed up on the Power Together when it first opened to take the training - and the software was a bonus.

I already OWN the software which I PURCHASED - it came with my MSDN subscription.

I'm trying to profit off of other's work?

Those who got a free copy and didn’t own it already profited off of others work by now using VISTA for free - oh my.  No difference.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

shuff1203 wrote:

I think like a theif?  That is ridiculous.

You people really are crazy.  I am against piracy - It's not like I'm copying software and selling it. 

BELIEVE IT OR NOT - I signed up on the Power Together when it first opened to take the training - and the software was a bonus.

I already OWN the software which I PURCHASED - it came with my MSDN subscription.

I'm trying to profit off of other's work?

Those who got a free copy and didn’t own it already profited off of others work by now using VISTA for free - oh my.  No difference.

So GIVE IT AWAY, you silly bum.  Tongue Out  

"Not For Resale" is rather unambiguous, imho.

• User profile image
    ClipMon

Isnt not for resale a part of the license agreement? So if some one used the software for a year, then wanted to sell it, they couldnt because of the not for resale clause of the license agreement.

I dont see whats wrong with selling a license if it has never been activated. I would hope that book publishers couldnt simply stick not for resale on their books to prevent some one from selling the book after they've finished reading it. (Well, at least without agreeing to it first.)

Is it illegal for me to buy vista that has not for resale printed on it, discover it doesnt work on my pc, (without activating it mind you) and then selling it on ebay for a loss?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.