Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Year of the Pirate (i.e. digital piracy)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

I was at a friend's house and watched "Blood Diamond" online from that 'peek*' offshore web site.

I plan to buy the movie both because I owe it to those who worked on it (and because it's quite excellent).

So now movies are going the way of music, and USA culture is easy to pirate.

Crap. Digital Piracy is a big problem.

What will it do to Hollywood? Will we start having nothing but home-brewed 'YouTube' video and no $100,000,000+ moovies in the future?

This may be a year of the Pirates (not the baseball team), but not just for dress-up; for real...

Mad:@Mad

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I highly doubt a 300x200 pixelated video with crap sound will replace a movie or home theater with high def and Dolby 5.1 Smiley

And to make a note that web-piracy of movies was never a big deal until the movie business started whining about it. Before only a few thousand people knew about downloading movies off of mIRC; and even then only 1 out of 100 was DVD quality, the rest was from a doofus with a camcorder. Then the lawyers got involved and now millions are aware of it. Pirated movies should have been quietly delt with.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Online theaters.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Harlequin wrote:
    And to make a note that web-piracy of movies was never a big deal until the movie business started whining about it. Before only a few thousand people knew about downloading movies off of mIRC; and even then only 1 out of 100 was DVD quality, the rest was from a doofus with a camcorder. Then the lawyers got involved and now millions are aware of it. Pirated movies should have been quietly delt with.

The details of that analysis weren't disclosed to make it look like pirated products were of poor quality.

IRC's DCC is crap anyway, those in the know get membership to private warez groups and their FTP servers.

But it's safe to say practically all the movies (with 70+ seeders) on BitTorrent are high-resolution/AAC DVD rips.

....but don't tell the proleteriate, we need them to spend, purchase, buy, and consume!

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

SecretSoftware wrote:
    Online theaters.

...will be hacked eventually.

At least legitimate moviegoers won't have to deal with those annoying brown spots that show up in movie theaters.

I haven't seen them in a few months, but they were annoying.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

ScanIAm wrote:

At least legitimate moviegoers won't have to deal with those annoying brown spots that show up in movie theaters.

I haven't seen them in a few months, but they were annoying.

Hehe. I actually emailed THX people and complained about a theatre up here in B.C. that had coke stains and stuff all over the screen of the THX certified theatre. Not sure if they followed up on it Smiley

• User profile image
    CSMR

JohnAskew wrote:
    USA culture

LOL
    JohnAskew wrote:
    USA culture... Hollywood

Expressionless

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

CSMR wrote:

JohnAskew wrote: USA culture

LOL
    JohnAskew wrote: USA culture... Hollywood

USA culture like Hollywood, television, etc... Tangible export goods.

Wink

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I was just talking with a friend today about this subject.

The way I see it is Hollywood is only hurting themselves by not progressing with technology. Nobody is going to want to travel to a theater in 10 years to see a movie. Why? Why drive 20 minutes to watch a movie? Why go to the mall to buy a CD? That's stupid.

If Hollywood wants to keep making money, and I suspect that they do, then they need to invest in research that would ultimately lead to them putting their content in my home for me.

Websites like MetaCafe, and Youtube are all tearing down the foundations of what we perceive as entertainment. There's no more sitting in front of the TV for good media - you go online. No more searching for CD's at the mall...you go online.

Apple brilliantly gripped onto the time-machine and came along for the ride, and now they're selling 1billion+ songs/movies on iTunes. Now they have come out with the AppleTV which will allow me to watch those movies on my TV if I wish. Microsoft is doing a similar thing with HDMovies on XBox360.

So whose fault is it that Hollywood is losing money? Hollywoods! Other large groups like NBC, ABC, etc, are all putting their shows online for viewers, and they're getting good feedback - because that is where we exist today, online.

So screw Hollywood if they wish to hold everybody back - they will feel the vicious truth of time in the end, when nobody is buying damn DVD's, or visiting their video-stores to rent movies.

The world is changing, and Hollywood needs to come to grips with that.

• User profile image
    Red5

jsampsonPC wrote:

Nobody is going to want to travel to a theater in 10 years to see a movie. Why? Why drive 20 minutes to watch a movie?

This is just an old curmudgen here, but here is my opinion on why:

I LOVE going to the movie theater.  Why?  Because nothing beats the large screen for a movie experience. Until I can get a screen and sound system like that in my basement (not physically possible) I will probabaly continue to go to the theater.  And the smell of popcorn? Forget it.  Give me the jumbo.
    Have you never seen "The Polar Express" in 3D at an Imax Theater? (I got kids).  It was spectacular.
    Only certain movies make the list in my household that warrant a visit to a movie theater.
    My opinion might be in the minority on this board.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Red5 wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Nobody is going to want to travel to a theater in 10 years to see a movie. Why? Why drive 20 minutes to watch a movie?

This is just an old curmudgen here, but here is my opinion on why:

I LOVE going to the movie theater.  Why?  Because nothing beats the large screen for a movie experience. Until I can get a screen and sound system like that in my basement (not physically possible) I will probabaly continue to go to the theater.  And the smell of popcorn? Forget it.  Give me the jumbo.
    Have you never seen "The Polar Express" in 3D at an Imax Theater? (I got kids).  It was spectacular.
    Only certain movies make the list in my household that warrant a visit to a movie theater.
    My opinion might be in the minority on this board.

I agree...going to the theater is fun. But our imagination is often too limited to see what the future holds. I mean, just look at the advancements over the last 10 years. Not to mention movies at the big screen are fun when you're with friends/family, but what about the noisy teens sitting two rows back, or the jerk who keeps kicking the back of your seat? How about having to curl up into a little ball so the bladder-broken fella sitting on your inside can come and go when he needs to use the little boys room?

There is alot of room for improvement...we'll have to see where we go from here, but I think it's highly possible that public theaters, the way we see them, will soon be a thing of the past.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Sad?

Not for me.

USA is the "melting pot of all the world's cultures".

Sure, architecture is taking on the same look all over the globe, and hillbillies' dialects are becoming more 'general American'. Those are good things 51%, and only 49% bad in that colloquialisms are waning. More buildings are safer in earthquakes every year due to the spread of information and the generalizing of cultures, for example.

Culture is as culture does.

Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.