Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

How do i get permission

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • conkerjoe

last night i was having fun with Vista Media Center.
    unsurprisingly.. it doesnt work with UK freeview TV..
    It finds my channels fine but wont display them. anyway thats for a different thread.

I been hacking at vista media center since RTM was released a little while ago and have learnt how a few things work. One of my ideas to fix my problem was to force the tuning overrides. But i cannot seem to get access tothe C:\windows\ehome directoy.
    ok windows i know about all the security implications etc.. just let me edit it anyway.. and if you need an admin password ... ask me for one..
    i tried a lot fo things but i could not get vista to let me edit this folder..
    This is my computer for christ sake i know you want to protect me but this is stupid....

Am i missing something or have they really locked down the windows directories?

• Sven Groot

It should ask you for a password if UAC is turned on. Failing that you could try to launch explorer or cmd.exe elevated.

If it still doesn't work, try looking at the NTFS permissions for that folder.

• Massif

Odd, Vista Media Centre worked perfectly for me using freeview.

Of course, the crappy nvidia sound drivers ensured that everthing went titsup very shortly into any program watching.

I'd be surprised if they broke it that badly from XP MCE which supports freeview perfectly. Perhaps the TV card drivers don't work properly? I haven't a clue.

• IceFreak2000

conkerjoe wrote:
    last night i was having fun with Vista Media Center.
    unsurprisingly.. it doesnt work with UK freeview TV..
    It finds my channels fine but wont display them. anyway thats for a different thread.

The problem I had with Media Center was down to the drivers for my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1300 - once updated Media Center works perfectly with Freeview (I'm watching BBC News 24 in a window as I'm typing this!)

• conkerjoe

freeview and MCE appear to work fine..
    but the frequencies it uses when tuning are not the same as the frequencies it uses when changing channels they are offset by 1
    this is due to the offset of the tv mast.. but vista seems to think its a full 1MHZ out when its only infact 167 Hz out...

the drivers work fine in vista i can view bbc channels fine.. cos theres no offset on that mux.. but all other channels wont work Sad

• Flatliner

FYI that file protection stuff was introduced with XP, I think from memory it runs as a Service called something like "Windows File Protection" (or at least it used to). Not sure but I think if you boot in safe-mode it doesn't get started.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.