Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Media Player website logo

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    juliankay

We have a Windows Media Player logo on our webiste, and we've followed Microsoft's rules http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/wmplogo.aspx for it.

However, sometimes when you load the page the image does not show. You can try it on our site if you like http://www.sumotech.com/english/products/st166_video.php 

I'd like to host the image on our own server. Am I allowed to host it myself? Anyone else having this problem?

Jules

• User profile image
    Manip

Works fine for me..

• User profile image
    juliankay

Manip wrote:
    Works fine for me..

Cool, where are you from? Do you have a proxy of some kind?

I've had the same reports from different people, and I've tried it on a few connections and have the same problem.

Can anyone from MS say if it's OK to host the image on our own server?

• User profile image
    Manip

UK, no proxy.

• User profile image
    Minh

Go for it ... MS won't send the net police after you if you do -- just common sense.

• User profile image
    matt0210

It worked for me too. I'm in Germany and the only 'proxy' I have is the corporate ISA Server, meaning none.
    Since you simply referenced the image from the MS site, you are dependant on them being able to server the image to your visitor. That may not be possible for some reason or another. If you want to be sure the image is displayed, copy it to your server.
    Yes, I know!!! You're not supposed to....

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

I can see the image prefectly from India. May be you have a local problem. May be you have not updated your IE. Checkout http://www.windowsupdate.com or maybe some file in your system is currupted.

• User profile image
    themaffeo

juliankay wrote:

I'd like to host the image on our own server. Am I allowed to host it myself? Anyone else having this problem?

I saw the image fine.

IANAL but:

I looked throught the licencing info and I didn't see anything that specifically said you couldnt host the logo from your own site. It does say you can't modify the logo, and that the logo must be linked to a specific page.  Also note that the page says 'Third parties [you] can modify this HTML code to fit [your] formatting as long as you follow the [the policies below].

So if it means that much to you, go ahead and save a copy of the image locally.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Sounds like the perennial IE's-cache-is-broken bugs. Clear your cache, try again. The bugs basically are that IE thinks the cache is full when it isn't, it corrupts its cache index, it deletes files it's just downloaded rather than those that haven't been used in a while. They're all logged over on the InternetExplorerBugs wiki page.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.