Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Free Software: Jealousy in Disguise?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fdisk

Just speculating here...but we know Stallman got started when he wanted to replicate a printer driver or whatever...and Miguel de Icaza once wanted to work for Microsoft. Sooooo...does that mean that most people that develop free software are secretly jealous of Microsoft? Is that the source of their unending hatred and anger? Are they basically trying to prove themselves worthy? Sort of like dealing with a father they could never please. Would hiring them solve the problem? Or is it a "labor of love" for them?

• User profile image
    Massif

I imagine they just really wanted to do something, and as a company didn't let them do it, they did it themselves. That's not jealousy, that's drive and ambition.

If you're going to hire everyone who may set up on their own out of fear of the competition you're going to hire a lot of people.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Why not IBM ?

I believe big blue are one of the single largest contributors to the free software movement and they are much large than Microsoft and make more money.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Didn't Borland give away some free compiler tools at some point?

Now repeat after me:

I don't want to post more mindless dreck on the front page of Channel 9.

I want to go home and rethink my life.

• User profile image
    phreaks

sirhomer wrote:
    I support free software because I love computers, not toasters.

Do you get free bread for toasting?

• User profile image
    phreaks

sirhomer wrote:

phreaks wrote: 
    sirhomer wrote: I support free software because I love computers, not toasters.

I didn't have to sign a NDA or EULA to get a loaf of bread from the supermarket.

And you don't eat software or resell/re-share bread

I am gonna compare an orange to an Al Paca, doesn't make alot of sense; but I am gonna do it anyway.

• User profile image
    phreaks

sirhomer wrote:

phreaks wrote: 
    sirhomer wrote: 
    phreaks wrote: 

I didn't have to sign a NDA or EULA to get a loaf of bread from the supermarket.

I am gonna compare an orange to an Al Paca, doesn't make alot of sense; but I am gonna do it anyway.

Computers are becoming more like toasters everday.

How, exactly is that

• User profile image
    fdisk

Yeah, but do people write free software out of a love of computers, or a desire to work for a big, successful software house and a need to prove themselves?

Oh, and bread is most definitely open source. Just check out any old cookbook and read up on the recipe!

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    Now repeat after me:

I don't want to post more mindless dreck on the front page of Channel 9.

I want to go home and rethink my life.
    I want to post more insightful posts on the front page of Channel 9.

I want to go out to the bar, get smashed, and design a spreadsheet program.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

sirhomer wrote:

I thought toasters are getting more like computers.  My toaster has three buttons.  Three!  Just to toast some bread!

When they start coming with a touchscreen, I think I'll stop eating toast.

Herbie

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

phreaks wrote:

sirhomer wrote:
    phreaks wrote: 
    sirhomer wrote: 
    phreaks wrote: 

How, exactly is that

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Got it now ? !!!

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    phreaks

shreyasonline wrote:

phreaks wrote: 
    sirhomer wrote: 
    phreaks wrote: 
    sirhomer wrote: 
    phreaks wrote: 

How, exactly is that

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Got it now ? !!!

Shreyas Zare

LOL, thanks for clearing that up.

• User profile image
    staceyw

free is like a box of chocolates...you never know what ya gonna get.

• User profile image
    SwamiYogurt

Is today Channel 9 Trolling Day or something? Seems like every other post is designed to raise people's blood pressure.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

SwamiYogurt wrote:
    Is today Channel 9 Trolling Day or something? Seems like every other post is designed to raise people's blood pressure.

The trolling increases when the C9 guys are out making videos Smiley

• User profile image
    cescotto

Consoles are already becoming like toasters and it won't take much before we'll all be toasting our bread in our brand new laptops. In the meanwhile we can still prepare Espresso.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

sirhomer wrote:
    It's not so much personal computers yet, but with TPM will the PC becoming a glorfied console?

I don't know, why don't you ask to the white knights of open source (IBM or Apple) about that? They do make hardware, after all...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.