Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Top 10 problems I had on vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cescotto

10. When the "problems reports and solutions" finds a solution in another language always gives me an error the first time it tries to load the solution page

9. I can't access all the linked folders from explorer (for example I get a "permission denied error" when trying to open the hidden "SendTo" link in my documents

8. Visual studio saved some files in C:\IDE (don't ask me why, I don't know)

7. When no codecs are installed opening folders with divx/xvid files takes entire ages and explorer often hangs for entire minutes

6. WMP's audio stopped working and the error I was getting was "unable to open the file" while instead it was an audio driver problem

5. Windows media player has that buggy ALT menu that I hate. And I still can't disable the naggy window that appears every time a new song starts playing when WMP is minimized and the taskbar plugin is active.

4. File copy is slow, too slow and I'm still dreaming of microsoft letting developers replace those APIs by third-party developers (and maybe that someday explorer will use a big part of the available ram as a read buffer when copying a file in the same device).

3. The removal of the "Back" button in wizards and its replacement with the blue arrow at the top-left is nonsense

2. The new network center doesn't allow me to use file sharing on my lan if I connect directly to the internet with PPPOE (because PPPOE is a public network, and any presence of connections configured as public network disables folder sharing and other services)

1. IE7 is the slowest browser I've ever seen, it hangs continuosly when loading big pages and also sometimes it hangs even when I'm browsing the page. I still continue getting "Operation interrupted" popups very often when loading pages.

Honorable mention: The removal of the clean upgrade for home basic/home premium is simply evil. I'm not upgrading my other PCs unless they remove that restrictions.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

cescotto wrote:
    9. I can't access all the linked folders from explorer (for example I get a "permission denied error" when trying to open the hidden "SendTo" link in my documents

These hidden folders are actually NTFS junction points that point to the actual location. They are just there for backwards compatibility. Explorer doesn't support browsing junction points, hence the error.

I've not encountered any of the other issues.

• User profile image
    cescotto

Sven Groot wrote:

cescotto wrote: 9. I can't access all the linked folders from explorer (for example I get a "permission denied error" when trying to open the hidden "SendTo" link in my documents

These hidden folders are actually NTFS junction points that point to the actual location. They are just there for backwards compatibility. Explorer doesn't support browsing junction points, hence the error.

Oh well they could have hidden them then, or at least add some other message rather than "permission denied".

Sven Groot wrote:

I've not encountered any of the other issues.

Probably you were lucky Tongue Out I've had friends complaining about the same issues.

BTW I forgot the most important problem: the fact that reporting bugs to Microsoft is almost impossible: if you report them by phone you risk being charged, if you report them on the newsgroups nobody cares.

• User profile image
    joem83

10- Havn't seen
    9- Havn't seen, but I don't show hidden files
    8- don't know
    7-don't know
    6- No issue here
    5-Alt works fine here, but I can see how the next song notifcation could be annoying
    4-Files copy about the same speed on average, but in some cases it may take longer since it checks all files first.  This is done so if a file could not be copied or delete, you don't have to start all over again.  Don't allow 3rd parties to change dialog boxes they should be consistant.  If they change depending what 3rd party software is install to many people will blame MSFT for the problem.
    3-Agreed depending how it is implemented
    2-Don't know
    1-have not had a problem at all.  Runs very quick.  Try running IE with the  NO-Addons option and see what happens.

cescotto wrote:
    10. When the "problems reports and solutions" finds a solution in another language always gives me an error the first time it tries to load the solution page

8. Visual studio saved some files in C:\IDE (don't ask me why, I don't know)

7. When no codecs are installed opening folders with divx/xvid files takes entire ages and explorer often hangs for entire minutes

6. WMP's audio stopped working and the error I was getting was "unable to open the file" while instead it was an audio driver problem

5. Windows media player has that buggy ALT menu that I hate. And I still can't disable the naggy window that appears every time a new song starts playing when WMP is minimized and the taskbar plugin is active.

4. File copy is slow, too slow and I'm still dreaming of microsoft letting developers replace those APIs by third-party developers (and maybe that someday explorer will use a big part of the available ram as a read buffer when copying a file in the same device).

3. The removal of the "Back" button in wizards and its replacement with the blue arrow at the top-left is nonsense

2. The new network center doesn't allow me to use file sharing on my lan if I connect directly to the internet with PPPOE (because PPPOE is a public network, and any presence of connections configured as public network disables folder sharing and other services)

1. IE7 is the slowest browser I've ever seen, it hangs continuosly when loading big pages and also sometimes it hangs even when I'm browsing the page. I still continue getting "Operation interrupted" popups very often when loading pages.

Honorable mention: The removal of the clean upgrade for home basic/home premium is simply evil. I'm not upgrading my other PCs unless they remove that restrictions.

• User profile image
    cescotto

joem83 wrote:

6- No issue here

Because your audio drivers are working. WMP has shown me a popup telling me that "there was a problem with the advanced features of the audio drivers" asking me to turn them off. Unfortunately I choose yes and now windows audio doesn't work anymore (not only WMP) even after reinstalling the drivers. I'll have to format but I surely won't put vista again (oh well I'll have to live in the "XP illegality" now, because after you upgrade from XP (non-pro) to vista you are not legally entitled to use your previous XP anymore)

joem83 wrote:

5-Alt works fine here, but I can see how the next song notifcation could be annoying

Try pressing alt and notice that the menu doesn't disappears when you press ALT another time. Sometimes when I try using ALT+tab when I have the WMP window open WMP continues opening the menu instead of letting me switch (happened on XP and continues happening on vista).

joem83 wrote:

4-Files copy about the same speed on average, but in some cases it may take longer since it checks all files first.  This is done so if a file could not be copied or delete, you don't have to start all over again. 

No it's a lot slower, I'm not the only one complaining about that in these forums. Even when copying single files usually it takes a lot more.

joem83 wrote:

Don't allow 3rd parties to change dialog boxes they should be consistant.  If they change depending what 3rd party software is install to many people will blame MSFT for the problem.

I'm not talking about replacing only dialog boxes, I'm talking about letting third-party programmers replace the copy routines so that somebody could come out with more decent implementations.

There were utilities for that in the old win2000 days: http://www.lowtek.com/copyfaster/

joem83 wrote:

3-Agreed depending how it is implemented

It's implemented in all the vista wizards from what I have seen: it is both inconsistent and nonsense.

joem83 wrote:

1-have not had a problem at all.  Runs very quick.  Try running IE with the  NO-Addons option and see what happens

No addons at all. Try opening and scrolling this page: http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Bill_Gates_on_Vista_and_Apple_s_Lying_Ads and you'll probably see what I'm talking about, IE6 and firefox are a lot faster loading and scrolling it.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

cescotto wrote:
    No addons at all. Try opening and scrolling this page: http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Bill_Gates_on_Vista_and_Apple_s_Lying_Ads and you'll probably see what I'm talking about, IE6 and firefox are a lot faster loading and scrolling it.

Just tried that page, IE7 and Firefox are about the same speed here, I couldn't tell you which one is faster.

• User profile image
    cescotto

Sven Groot wrote:

cescotto wrote: No addons at all. Try opening and scrolling this page: http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Bill_Gates_on_Vista_and_Apple_s_Lying_Ads and you'll probably see what I'm talking about, IE6 and firefox are a lot faster loading and scrolling it.

Just tried that page, IE7 and Firefox are about the same speed here, I couldn't tell you which one is faster.

Strange it's extremely slow in my case: probably you have a PC much faster than mine and because of that you don't see any difference.

• User profile image
    joem83

5-   Ok I see what you mean now.  I normally hit the esc key so never noticed it.

4-  Of cource you would notice it with a single file.  But with large amounts of files.  200+ it actually runs faster.  I tested this on a brand new machine and a 4 year old computer.

Bad Idea.  What would stop the 3rd party program from deleting your files instead of copying them.
    "I'm not talking about replacing only dialog boxes, I'm talking about letting third-party programmers replace the copy routines so that somebody could come out with more decent implementations.

There were utilities for that in the old win2000 days: http://www.lowtek.com/copyfaster/"

3- Depends because the buttons would look bad if it was at the top right or bottom left.

1-  Ran, that site on a 4 year old computer running Vista and a brand new machine.  Both loaded and scrolled through the site without issues  both with FF 2.0 and IE7.

• User profile image
    mstefan

cescotto wrote:
    Strange it's extremely slow in my case: probably you have a PC much faster than mine and because of that you don't see any difference.

Try disabling the phishing filter, and see if that improves things for you. When I visited that link, it was going nuts.

• User profile image
    cescotto

mstefan wrote:

cescotto wrote: Strange it's extremely slow in my case: probably you have a PC much faster than mine and because of that you don't see any difference.

Try disabling the phishing filter, and see if that improves things for you. When I visited that link, it was going nuts.

I tried disabling it but I still have the same problem.

• User profile image
    cescotto

joem83 wrote:
    4-  Of cource you would notice it with a single file.  But with large amounts of files.  200+ it actually runs faster.  I tested this on a brand new machine and a 4 year old computer.

Oh well I haven't tried with large amount of files but I would prefer it to go fast with single files too.

joem83 wrote:

Bad Idea.  What would stop the 3rd party program from deleting your files instead of copying them.

I don't see anything bad in 3rd party applications to replace windows copy routines with more efficient ones. For a long time I was using on XP the old FAR file manager because it was a lot more reliable (it could also do integrity checks before deleting).

joem83 wrote:

3- Depends because the buttons would look bad if it was at the top right or bottom left.

I'm talking about the "Back" labeled buttons being removed from the wizards. Now there's only the "Next" button and the back button has been moved on the upper-left part of the screen (and it doesn't even have a label near it to say that it's the back buton).

joem83 wrote:

1-  Ran, that site on a 4 year old computer running Vista and a brand new machine.  Both loaded and scrolled through the site without issues  both with FF 2.0 and IE7.

Have yo utried also scrolling up/down when the page is loading. IE often hangs.

• User profile image
    joem83

Have to agree with you on that it should be faster.

cescotto wrote:

Oh well I haven't tried with large amount of files but I would prefer it to go fast with single files too.

Would like an integrity check Mad
    cescotto wrote:

I don't see anything bad in 3rd party applications to replace windows copy routines with more efficient ones. For a long time I was using on XP the old FAR file manager because it was a lot more reliable (it could also do integrity checks before deleting).

Don't get me wrong I agree with you, it just has to be done right.  It is ok now, but good do ALOT better.

cescotto wrote:

I'm talking about the "Back" labeled buttons being removed from the wizards. Now there's only the "Next" button and the back button has been moved on the upper-left part of the screen (and it doesn't even have a label near it to say that it's the back buton).

Have tried that to on that site no issue.  On a similar note if I load an RSS feed from engadget.  When there are alot of images, if I try to navigate in IE, IE will lock up and sometimes will reset.
    cescotto wrote:

Have yo utried also scrolling up/down when the page is loading. IE often hangs.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

The only one of the top 10 that I myself have experienced is the slow file copying ... I was trying to copy 2 GB but even so, it shouldn't take over an hour on two high speed sata drives.

No #11: Whoever in the I.E. team thought of binding the backspace key to the "back" button needs to be beaten with a yard stick... I.E. randomly switches my focus out of Rich Text Controls to the file menu, address bar or onto the page ... So when I hit backspace the page changes and I loose whatever was in the Rich Text Box!

PS - If anyone has an IE addon that dynamically saves whatever I'm typing in a Rich Text Box for 10 minutes please get in touch.

• User profile image
    cescotto

ManipUni wrote:

The only one of the top 10 that I myself have experienced is the slow file copying ... I was trying to copy 2 GB but even so, it shouldn't take over an hour on two high speed sata drives.

No #11: Whoever in the I.E. team thought of binding the backspace key to the "back" button needs to be beaten with a yard stick... I.E. randomly switches my focus out of Rich Text Controls to the file menu, address bar or onto the page ... So when I hit backspace the page changes and I loose whatever was in the Rich Text Box!

PS - If anyone has an IE addon that dynamically saves whatever I'm typing in a Rich Text Box for 10 minutes please get in touch.

It never happened to me that IE switched by itself the control of the focus. You can save the content of editboxes (they're kept even if the browser crashes) with firefox, however you must use a third party addon or change the browser internal settings (there are guides on the web to do that).

• User profile image
    siddharoodh

this is siddharoodh,
    siddharoodh@gmail.com

getting cygwin installation in vista-operating system. I am ne to this site. I am not getting where I have to send my query. please help me.

? . while installing cygwin-NT-5.1 I am getting failed to install. It is stucking middle. I dont know and some time it is not loading with full packeges.

What I tried.
    First time I already installed. some problem I deleted. while it is deleting. It asked some system file it is going to delete. I thought it may be cygwin files.
    After this i tried to install, it is not getting install..Please help me

• User profile image
    cescotto

siddharoodh wrote:

this is siddharoodh,
    siddharoodh@gmail.comiddharoodh@gmail.com">

getting cygwin installation in vista-operating system. I am ne to this site. I am not getting where I have to send my query. please help me.

? . while installing cygwin-NT-5.1 I am getting failed to install. It is stucking middle. I dont know and some time it is not loading with full packeges.

What I tried.
    First time I already installed. some problem I deleted. while it is deleting. It asked some system file it is going to delete. I thought it may be cygwin files.
    After this i tried to install, it is not getting install..Please help me

Why are you asking this here? You should ask on the cygwin newsgroups: http://gmane.org/find.php?list=cygwin

• User profile image
    Peter​Peerapat

I agreed with you that IE7 is the SLOWEST browser.  I'm using XP and it was SLOW.  Unlike firefox, I opened my tabs and it worked FINE.  Smooth.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ManipUni wrote:

Weird. As a test, I just copied my entire Pictures folder to another drive. This was copying 16791 files (2.82GB) from a SATA drive to an old PATA drive. It took less than 3 minutes. Then I did the same with a single file of about 3.5GB. It took less than 2 minutes.

In both cases the "preparing to copy" stage (which I've seen Jamie complain about) took less than 5 seconds.

Now I don't readily have numbers for how long these operations would've taken in XP - so it might well be slower - but this doesn't strike me as being really slow. It's certainly not even close to over an hour.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.