Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Microsoft Zune Phone In the Works

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • cescotto

http://crunchgear.com/2007/02/01/source-microsoft-zune-phone-in-the-works/

Oh my, is MS REALLY going to launch a zune phone too? I wonder why MS, instead of trying entering the hardware market and angering all the various hardware producers, simply doesn't team up with them to offer software solutions similar to iTunes for phones/players.

The zune is already sold at loss: MS could have simply licensed the zune store and software to creative, nokia, samsung etc to let them create players/phones that could have stolen ipod marketshare and simply cash in on the store revenues.

Apple could win the phones market because itunes is better and more integrated than most of the music/sync software for phones available but surely Apple couldn't win if all the various phone producers had similar integrated solutions (zune software for example) to compete with their software/hardware combo.

• Harlequin

Couple things to make it better than the iPhone:

1) Connect to my computer via wireless and/or Bluetooth
    2) Removable battery
    3) Sync with Exchange.

• blowdart

The problem with the current Windows Mobile setup is

1) hardware quality control - MS has no say on the devices.
    2) software updates - each manufacturer releases their own software updates. Or not (more often not)
    3) bad integration - activesync is buggy, and acts as a lowest common denominator

• PaoloM

cescotto wrote:
    http://crunchgear.com/2007/02/01/source-microsoft-zune-phone-in-the-works/

Oh my, is MS REALLY going to launch a zune phone too? I wonder why MS, instead of trying entering the hardware market and angering all the various hardware producers, simply doesn't team up with them to offer software solutions similar to iTunes for phones/players.

Yeah, that worked well with PlaysForSure... I remember it taking the market by storm...
    cescotto wrote:
    The zune is already sold at loss

Is it? I thought we were making a (small) profit on every unit...
    cescotto wrote:
    MS could have simply licensed the zune store and software to creative, nokia, samsung etc to let them create players/phones that could have stolen ipod marketshare and simply cash in on the store revenues.

PhoneForSure?
    cescotto wrote:
    Apple could win the phones market because itunes is better and more integrated than most of the music/sync software for phones available but surely Apple couldn't win if all the various phone producers had similar integrated solutions (zune software for example) to compete with their software/hardware combo.

Well, that was the situation on the music player front and we all know how it went.

• Koogle

well the Zune didn't impress me, and wouldn't buy one even it were one sale in the UK..  but I see nothing wrong in MS going into the same market as the iPhone.. just make it better this time around Smiley

• staceyw

I have a zune. I figured a phone was the next logical step for v2 so no surprise.  I would have been surprised if they did not have a phone already in the works right after zune1.   If they have a touch screen, they don't need the wheel and could make the screen bigger.  The case should be that artificial marble stuff that is light and touph and look like a solid piece of routed or chiseled marble (in various colors.) - classic and rich looking.  Not sure why the guy said it would not be Windows Mobil, it could be anything as you can't tell from the shell.  I would guess Mobil as it already works for this purpose today.

• bart7simpso​n7

Bill Gates said in an interview that Microsoft prefers to offer software to manufacturers and let them compete with the iPhone instead of having a single product. I think Mr. Gates is a very wise man Smiley

• PaoloM

bart7simpson7 wrote:
    Bill Gates said in an interview that Microsoft prefers to offer software to manufacturers and let them compete with the iPhone instead of having a single product. I think Mr. Gates is a very wise man

Not too sure about that. His position works VERY well for computers but it didn't work for devices.

Maybe some collaboration with Apple in defining a universal media store protocol would achieve the necessary traction, so any hardware manufacturer and store could seamlessly interchange media files...

(yeah, like Steve Jobs would allow that...)

• W3bbo

Harlequin wrote:
    Couple things to make it better than the iPhone:

2) Removable battery
    3) Sync with Exchange.

This "Zune Phone" would be a featurephone, not a smartphone.

Consumers, yes, those droll little pop-music/reality-TV jockies, don't want a smartphone, they want a little ditty (and another word that rhymes with it) phone that comes in purple or pink.

The Zune Phone may very well end up running Windows CE, but it won't be running Windows Mobile.

But removable batteries and Bluetooth connectivity (if slow) are a given.

• alwaysmc2

News Week wrote:

With Xbox and Zune, Microsoft has adopted an end-to-end approach, where you write the software, design the hardware and run the services. Will Microsoft now change its mobile-phone strategy and adopt an end-to-end approach, the way Apple has with the iPhone?
    No, I don't think so. People like different styling, media storage, capability [in phones]. The benefit we get from having lots of great hardware partners is pretty phenomenal. And our software can run on any one of those things.

This is someone from News Week interviewing Bill Gates.
    link

• staceyw

W3bbo wrote:

Harlequin wrote: Couple things to make it better than the iPhone:

2) Removable battery
    3) Sync with Exchange.

This "Zune Phone" would be a featurephone, not a smartphone.

Consumers, yes, those droll little pop-music/reality-TV jockies, don't want a smartphone, they want a little ditty (and another word that rhymes with it) phone that comes in purple or pink.

The Zune Phone may very well end up running Windows CE, but it won't be running Windows Mobile.

Why would you say that?  Windows Mobile is powered by Windows CE with the "mobile" stuff added to it.  You need the mobile stuff to do a phone, so what else would they use?  My Dash is Windows Mobil 5.0 (powered by CE 5.0) and runs nice.

• Flatliner

Seems to me that for windows mobile to be a contender for the zune phone, they'd need wpf/e style graphics capabilities to compete with the iPhones UI. I would love it if it was windows mobile as this means i could write software for it in C#.

• Minh

Am I the only one who sees fatal flaws in the Zune phone?

* Voice messages can only be listened to 3 times in 3 days, then vanish
    * $1 is paid to the every carriers, even then, you can only make calls to some of the numbers in their service
    * 150% bigger / heavier than the Apple iPhone
    * Two words: brown phones
    * 30 minutes software installation before you can make the first call
    * New voice DRM scheme that won't work w/ other phones
    * Yes, the phone will have wifi, but can't count on it being useful.

• bart7simpso​n7

alwaysmc2 wrote:

News Week wrote:
    With Xbox and Zune, Microsoft has adopted an end-to-end approach, where you write the software, design the hardware and run the services. Will Microsoft now change its mobile-phone strategy and adopt an end-to-end approach, the way Apple has with the iPhone?
    No, I don't think so. People like different styling, media storage, capability [in phones]. The benefit we get from having lots of great hardware partners is pretty phenomenal. And our software can run on any one of those things.

This is someone from News Week interviewing Bill Gates.
    link

This is the one I was refering to.

• Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Zune or iPhone? Zune or iPhone? Zune or iPhone? Perplexed Expressionless

BOTH, Bingo!

Well, now comes Zune, iPhone, xBox360, Vista-Ultimate, [C] need lot money own them Cool Tongue Out I AM IN and WORKING.

• Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Smiley
    A new video showing the touchscreen-based UI of the LG Prada phone has hit YouTube. The phone is going head to head with the iPhone UI-wise and it shows the path that the majority of phones will look like in the years to come. It is not clear if the LG Prada is a smartphone that allows you to run native applications or just a 'feature phone'.

hmm..

now, Zune or iPhone or Prada? Zune or iPhone or Prada? Zune or iPhone or Prada? [C] IT SUCKS! Big Smile

• brian.​shapiro

i seriously believe microsoft was thinking about it before the iPhone was released. but then, there was pressure for Apple to build an iPhone for a long time (people doing concept pictures on the internet as well as other mp3 player phones), so microsoft had wind of that also.

there was an article where someone from ms confirmed that they were thinking about it, but it wasn't a priority. they had other zune devices that they wanted to release which had higher priority. this is what may have changed.

• jsampsonPC

I'm sure Apple has got a man inside MS, and likewise, I am sure MS has got a man inside Apple. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though Apple's man at MS really has to do a whole lot...but lately it seems as though MS's man at Apple is reporting a lot of goodies back home.

So, yeah, I'm sure MS had something in concept before the iPhone released...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.