Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bill Gates on Apple's lying ads

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

I don't know how many of you have seen this or not, since its linked on Drudgereport, but its a nice  interview.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

He's asked a few questions about Apple, about the Apple ad campaign, and about OSX vs Vista.

• User profile image
    z2bass

Its a nice interview. I think Apple needs to stop lying in those comercials... its rediculous... without Microsoft there would be no Apple.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

The most concerning part is when Bill says "  Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine. "  He doesnt want people to take up that challenge.  he will be embarrased when a Windows machine can be taken over completely every hour on the hour.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

corona_coder wrote:
    The most concerning part is when Bill says "  Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine. "  He doesnt want people to take up that challenge.  he will be embarrased when a Windows machine can be taken over completely every hour on the hour.

^_^ Good point!

• User profile image
    glebd

It is sad that, of all people, Bill Gates is so far from reality. This is really embarrassing to read. I think he will later regret his own words. He cannot leave his position of Chief Software Architect (duh!) soon enough.

• User profile image
    cescotto

corona_coder wrote:

Then how do you explain this http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/ ?

• User profile image
    bart7simpso​n7

I guess those are from the book "The complete idiot's guide for making an ad for idiots"

• User profile image
    corona_coder

cescotto wrote:

corona_coder wrote: The most concerning part is when Bill says "  Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine. "  He doesnt want people to take up that challenge.  he will be embarrased when a Windows machine can be taken over completely every hour on the hour.

Then how do you explain this http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/ ?

I know about the month of apple bugs.  But it has been proven that it only takes 20 minutes to exploit a Windows machine.  Im willing to put 20 dollars on the line that says a Windows Vi$ta comp can be hacked in less than 10 minutes.  Put up a Windows Vista machine, post it on Slashdot that the comp is available and Microsoft encourages the exploitation of the machine and also promise not to sue or prosecute the people that hack the machine.

• User profile image
    AdityaG

corona_coder wrote:
    I know about the month of apple bugs.  But it has been proven that it only takes 20 minutes to exploit a Windows machine.  Im willing to put 20 dollars on the line that says a Windows Vi$ta comp can be hacked in less than 10 minutes.  Put up a Windows Vista machine, post it on Slashdot that the comp is available and Microsoft encourages the exploitation of the machine and also promise not to sue or prosecute the people that hack the machine.

This is the sort of double standard bull that people pull all the time. When they talk about Mac's they say "Oh, I have a good router firewall, and I am running on a non-admin user..etc.etc." and then proceed to say "So can windows do the same. I dare you to turn off all your firewalls, open all your ports and login as administrator and then tell everyone your ip address and still stay un-hacked for more than 20 minutes".

What's the point of that dare? Of course your system is going to be hacked if you leave it in the most insecure state possible. I just run a router firewall (I didn't really configure it either, I just don't open random ports). Have no Anti-Virus and have had no problems. And yes, I am running on a full admin user.

It's a matter of knowledge on the user's part. I am not saying granpa is at fault. We are. We KNOW how to secure our systems. And it's fairly trivial to setup. But instead of educating users we go around spreading FUD like this (or like FSF did on vista launch). If we spent like 10% of the time they put into make up FUD, and just making a few pages that explain how to protect your PC (something simple like get SP2) and spread that around on Digg, and other sites, things would be a lot better.

People who run executables from emails, we can't really do much about. This would affect any OS.

I feel like I am repeating what any sensible person has said in response to crap like this, but it's sad that I have to.

- Aditya

• User profile image
    Angus

z2bass wrote:
    Its a nice interview. I think Apple needs to stop lying in those comercials... its rediculous... without Microsoft there would be no Apple.

Yeah, this is one thing I really want to see. I hate it when I see those guys saying "I'm a Mac"... because I know that they will say something completely untrue. For instance, how is a Windows machine not good at handling images?

Mac OS will work on Macs because they deal with a very select range of hardware, and as such they can tune it more finely.

If you want the choice with hardware, and software you need a Windows computer; Mac computers may have some software, and some hardware, but it is hardly comparable to the vast range of computers deisnged for Windows (and presumably that can run Linux, although several distributions work on Macs, am I right?).

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    PeterF

Hey, Let's give them some credit, they can still tell that MacOS has a bigger market share than Vista, I wonder for how long though Big Smile

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

I can't believe how no-one mentioned Landon Fuller who supplied patches for most of the 31 bugs .

Nor that one of the vulnerabilities was in code shipped from Microsoft (Flip4Mac).

Everybody has bugs, but not everybody has virii utilising them.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Angus wrote:

z2bass wrote:Its a nice interview. I think Apple needs to stop lying in those comercials... its rediculous... without Microsoft there would be no Apple.

Yeah, this is one thing I really want to see. I hate it when I see those guys saying "I'm a Mac"... because I know that they will say something completely untrue. For instance, how is a Windows machine not good at handling images?

Mac OS will work on Macs because they deal with a very select range of hardware, and as such they can tune it more finely.

If you want the choice with hardware, and software you need a Windows computer; Mac computers may have some software, and some hardware, but it is hardly comparable to the vast range of computers deisnged for Windows (and presumably that can run Linux, although several distributions work on Macs, am I right?).

Angus Higgins

Mac OS X still has superior color handling, And the native 2.2 gamma of a PC still is dodgy in my opinion.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Bill is being a hypocrite by calling Apple a liar yet what he has said in the intervew allows himself to be accused of the exact same notion. Lucky the MOAB happened this month because he would have stuggled to cite anything in the previous month. Can't wait till the MOV(ista)B month.

Also for a guy who claims to have not seen the add he certainly is quite familiar with their content, I guess I don't really need any proof like him, so I will call liar on that point too.

• User profile image
    brichpmr

The loud sound I heard was that of Bill Gates' nose growing and slamming into the camera. He has been lying about Vista vis-a-vis OSX in almost every interview since Vista was released; inferring (for example) that parental control was a first on Vista and not available in OSX...what a crock!

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Windows XP had some parental controls also---and some of these have been in since Windows 98 I believe---just the interface wasn't as unified (in Internet settings, in media player, etc). Vista's parental controls are also much more advanced, allowing parents to create time limits, create activity reports, and control use of any program. I really don't know what you think Bill Gates said which you think implied he believed Vista was the first out with parental controls. Though the first OSX version with it was also Tiger, which was released after Longhorn was already revealed to have parental control functionality. Example.. http://www.activewin.com/screenshots/longhorn/Image30.jpg

At any rate, from what Bill Gates said about Mac exploits, what it sounds like him saying is that right now there are people finding an exploit a day. You couldn't find an exploit a day in Windows, I think he meant, because its already been tested, exploits have been found and ways to prevent them have been built in. I think he was trying to make a point about the arrogance of Mac promoters vis a vis security. At any rate I'm not sure exactly what he meant.

What I do think is silly is that you assume him to say stupid things or lie. Bill Gates is in a position where lying would be bad for him, and he isn't stupid, he generally knows what he's talking about, and he's much more modest than some other people who run companies. When Bill Gates says that theres an exploit for Macs every day, and you don't know what he's talking about, the natural response (and the question should have been in the interview), what do you mean?  But like I said I think he just believes Vista is tested for security problems, while Apple doesn't think its a problem with their OS.

• User profile image
    brichpmr

How do you or anyone at Microsoft know what Apple does or doesn't think is a security problem on their systems? They sure as heck release multiple security updates (just like Windows). Gates doesn't have a list long enough to show the number of PCs that have been infected/nuked/repaved due to various malware incursions. The list of Mac OSX users who were infected or needed to nuke/repave their OS install due to malware is just about '0.' Vulnerabilities are out there for every OS...not the same as being exploited. Secondly, Gates claimed that he had not seen the 'I'm a Mac....I'm a PC' ads, yet he did not hesitate to express his opinion about them. That's an absolute lack of credibility on his part, resulting perhaps from the fact that almost every interviewer was busting his chops about Vista features that seemed to mimic similar OSX features of long standing.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

brichpmr wrote:
    How do you or anyone at Microsoft know what Apple does or doesn't think is a security problem on their systems?

The dashboard exploit was a very nice remainder of what Apple think a security problem is Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.