Cost of OS:  SUSE Linux Enterprise 10  - $50.00

Cost of OpenOffice:  n/a

Cost of Video card to support Compiz:  $79.00

Cost of at least 256 mb of RAM: $49.00

Cost of DVD-ROM (if needed): $51.99

Cost of Anti-Virus/Firewall software:  n/a

Total   $230.98

Total savings switching to Linux: $1049.99

Prices will vary depending on additional software you need to buy such as developer or professional  tools.  Most Linux versions of additional software is free of charge.  Anti-Spyware and Firewall software may be extra due to the low quality versions Microsoft ships

What Microsofts slogan should be:

How much do you want to spend today?

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I can only assume this is a joke. I think ALL your post proves is that Linux isn't free and that the cost is comparable to Windows Vista.

What's more there are free anti-virus software packages for Windows and OpenOffice is also out on the platform.

The system you'll get at the end for a tiny $200 even using your crazy numbers is far superior than anything Linux can do ... Unless you enjoy spending over an hour writing config files or manually compiling your drivers...

I mean OpenOffice is great and I have nothing against it, but the Linux OS as a desktop platform still has a long way to go in order to bring it in line with Windows 95.

Linux is a great cost effective server, hell there is one running behind me right at this moment routing this very connection, but that's all it is.

• User profile image
    cescotto

corona_coder wrote:
    Upgrading to Windows Vista:

Cost of OS: $400.00

You said upgrading, so the upgrade costs 99/149/199/249. But obviously since you're trolling you chose the most expensive non-upgrade version

corona_coder wrote:

Cost Of Office 2007: $500.00 for Professional Version

You can get office 2007 home that costs 169€ or you can use openoffice

corona_coder wrote:

Cost of Video Card to support Aero Glass:  $199.00

Don't make me laugh, a 20/30$ cheap card with hypermemory/turbocache is more than capable to run aero glass.

corona_coder wrote:

Cost of at least 512 mb of RAM: $79.00

Where do you pay 512mb of ram $79?

corona_coder wrote:

For $51 I can buy 2 DVD-rw drives. Stop shopping at Tiffany's.

corona_coder wrote:

Cost of Anti-Virus/Firewall software ( Windows OneCare):  $49.99

Because everybody needs an AV? Isn't it? And vista already has an in/out firewall.

• User profile image
    ManipUni
  • User profile image
    Angus

In reality Linux could be completely free (and I know a lot of the time it is), but that does not make it any better than Windows operating systems.

For the vast majority (i.e. 95%+) of users, Linux is simply not an option; lots of these people cannot install an operating system, so however easy the install is, they will do something like not change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from CD, or something similar. Most of these users simply could not sort things out.

If you have a strange system (compared with the normal Dell, Acer, etc. systems) then you are likely to run into problems; firstly with hardware issues, and secondly with configuration. Windows may not get all the drivers for all the hardware, but as long as you know the manufacturer, and have an internet connection, you can get a Windows version of the driver; a lot of the time you cannot do this in Linux.

Some people may be able to edit configuration files, etc. but once they get it wrong and are dropped into a nice CLI, they are likely to be confused (for example, while editing xorg.conf I made some errors, if someone who did not know about "sudo dpkg reconfigure xserver" or "startx", or "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" [in Ubuntu] did this, they would be stuck really.

I think to really compare the prices one should add to the Linux cost: "Cost of time", because it is simple to see that Linux is more complex to use than Windows, and thus it costs more than you have stated.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    corona_coder

I chose to do the buy version of Linux because most people would prefer to buy it than go and download it.  Ubuntu, SUSE 10.2 and others are freely available.  So I gave a little on that.  I stand by my numbers and this cost analysis is what we gave people going into the Best Buy on that day.  Those are Best Buy numbers which is where the average user shops.  Linux is on par with Windows 95, in fact it surpasses Windows Vista in many ways.  So what could you guys do with a $1000 dollars.  What I think is funny is you guys say Openoffice isnt good enough yet when I throw in the cost of Office 2007 you use openOffice.org as an example of an alternative.

• User profile image
    Angus

corona_coder wrote:
    What I think is funny is you guys say Openoffice isnt good enough yet when I throw in the cost of Office 2007 you use openOffice.org as an example of an alternative.

If people have said that OpenOffice is not good but use it as an alternative they are simply trying to march the Linux cost and Windows cost. It is a more scientific test. No offence to Linux users, but OpenOffice in my opinion is not as good as Microsoft Office 2007, and thus one must use it for the Windows system; how can you compare two things with different software completely. It is like comparing the cost of two cars, one may be slightly harder to use, and rarer, and the other is more common; but if they both support a radio from "The Radio Company" (or whatever other ficticious company you want), you must compare them with the same radio.

If is too difficult to compare the rare car with a worse radio to the common car with a good radio (that costs more) because the test is flawed.

If there is an option to use the same software one must do this, and if one can use the same hardware, one must use it.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Who said OO isn't any good? All I said was OO is out on Windows.

I said Linux OS as a desktop platform isn't any good, but Linux != OO.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

corona_coder wrote:
    Upgrading to Windows Vista:

Cost of OS: $400.00

Cost Of Office 2007: $500.00 for Professional Version

Cost of Video Card to support Aero Glass:  $199.00

Cost of at least 512 mb of RAM: $79.00

Cost of Anti-Virus/Firewall software ( Windows OneCare):  $49.99

Total:  1280.97

Saved nerves - freakin priceless

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Total productivity lost switching to Linux: $10 billion

• User profile image
    aauugold

Why is a an upgrade to vista requiring office 2007. Office 2003 works fine. There is no reason to link the two upgrades.

One Care is currently available for $19 online.

The propre upgrade to a *nix system is freebsd. Linux is a kernel not an O/S.

• User profile image
    L_Park1

Dude, go home with this comparison. I totally agree with manipuni and cescotto. I don't need an antivirus on my Win box, and a system nowadays with 256 RAM as you suggest for Linux simply.. SUCKS!
    Linux has a long long long way to go for the desktop.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

corona_coder wrote:

How much do you want to spend today?

• User profile image
    erik_

Oke you got me! I am gonna switch, so I looked up what a new pc would cost me, just to be sure your stats are correct.

Just a quick look at amazon (since I don't know another place to get us prices) learns me this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-A1710N-Desktop-Processor-SuperMulti/dp/B000M8MWI8/sr=1-1/qid=1170588059/ref=sr_1_1/105-7321920-7026858?ie=UTF8&s=pc

HP Pavilion A1710N Desktop PC
    AMD Athlon Processor 4200 Plus
    1 GB RAM
    320 GB Hard Driv
    SuperMulti DVD Drive
    Vista Premium

$580,- ($680 normal price, $100 rebates = $580,- correct?)

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-System-Builders-Guarantee/dp/B000KGGL8E/sr=1-18/qid=1170588136/ref=sr_1_18/105-7321920-7026858?ie=UTF8&s=software

Microsoft Office Pro 2003 WIN32 for System Builders with Office 2007 Tech Guarantee Coupon (Could not find office 2007 oem, but price should probaly be in the same range)

$320,-

Total: $900,-

Leaves a $669,- difference.

The vista users has a new pc which is preinstalled, while the switched linux user still has it's old hardware.

The switched linux user needs to get the OS installed, a video card installed, extra memory installed and a DVD installed. How much would it cost to get that all installed by a pc shop?

I don't know the prices, but I assume they count 2 hours for the job. So 2x $50,- = $100,- and then you probaly need to be in luck that the shop is nice enough to install linux for you.

Leaves $569,- difference.

What on earth happend to all my savings?

I just picked a nice $1000 vaction from one of the folders at the travel agengy, because I was saving so much:(Sad

As you see you can turn this lists anyway you want... but they are so dependent on the user that they are almost never 'true'

• User profile image
    corona_coder

erik_ wrote:

The switched linux user needs to get the OS installed, a video card installed, extra memory installed and a DVD installed. How much would it cost to get that all installed by a pc shop?

Considering most desktops come with a graphics card and RAM installed a new Linux user wouldnt have to have it installed on a new system.  there are also some OEM's who do ship a Linux system that is much cheaper than the exampes you gave so users still save several hundreds of dollars.

• User profile image
    cescotto

512mb RAM: 40€
    motherboard with soldered sempron CPU (or bought separately) and integrated dx9 GPU: 80€
    40gb HDD: 30€
    DVD+RW burner: 22€
    Case: 25€
    Vista Home Premium OEM 99€ (maybe it costs less, the upgrade costs 99€)
    --------------------------------
    296€

Here's your Vista PC.

• User profile image
    Bas

RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    Saved nerves - freakin priceless

I was hoping that somebody would make that joke. Good job.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I'm still amazed by the total cost of 1200$, I got my "new" Dell with a core2duo e6300, 2gb ram, 320gb hard-drive, radeon x1300, Vista Home Premium as well as a 19" tft for less than that. Seems to me like someone's just pulling numbers at random from his "nether regions".

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.