Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

OneCare £8 ($15) more for UK customers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    After you add in VAT (17.5%) OneCare costs $15 more for the European version when compared to the US Local. In fact all the big anti-virus companies and PowerDVD seem to be pulling the same kind of scam, a noticeable markup just for being foreign. 

    US OneCare - $49.99 ($58 with tax or £29)
    UK OneCare - £37.99 ($74)

    Naturally Microsoft's site redirects euro scum to the euro scum section but you can bypass and see the actual prices here:

    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/default.htm
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/purchase/default.htm

    PS - £8 isn't exactly a ton of money (even per year) but its the principle of the thing that annoys me.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    ManipUni wrote:
    

    After you add in VAT (17.5%) OneCare costs $15 more for the European version when compared to the US Local. In fact all the big anti-virus companies and PowerDVD seem to be pulling the same kind of scam, a noticeable markup just for being foreign. 

    US OneCare - $49.99 ($58 with tax or £29)
    UK OneCare - £37.99 ($74)

    Naturally Microsoft's site redirects euro scum to the euro scum section but you can bypass and see the actual prices here:

    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/default.htm
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/purchase/default.htm

    PS - £8 isn't exactly a ton of money (even per year) but its the principle of the thing that annoys me.



    Are you sure it's not because of US or UK tarriffs on exported/imported software?  I don't know what the current state of tarriffs on software is.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    

    Are you sure it's not because of US or UK tarriffs on exported/imported software?  I don't know what the current state of tarriffs on software is.


    What tarriffs? As far as I am aware there are none.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    blowdart wrote:
    
    CannotResolveSymbol wrote: 

    Are you sure it's not because of US or UK tarriffs on exported/imported software?  I don't know what the current state of tarriffs on software is.


    What tarriffs? As far as I am aware there are none.


    Ok, as far as I can tell from the little looking I just did, there isn't any duty on software, so that's probably not the reason.

  • User profile image
    borosen

    It is business, not scum. (Even though the difference on occasion is subliminal)

    Clearly, Microsoft think they can charge more in UK than in US.

    Will it work?
    I think so.

  • User profile image
    LB67

    Maybe the UK should join the Euro zone. Wink
    It seems that in the other European countries that I checked (Belgium, Netherlands, France, Germany & Italy), the OneCare package is sold at €49.95 incl. VAT (£32.92 or $64.77).
    That's still more than in the US, but adding the Belgian VAT of 21% to the US package brings the comparable price to $60.49. 
    This gives Microsoft $4 extra per license sold to fight the European Commission when it's going to be abused by Microsoft's competitors again. [A]

  • User profile image
    studdymx

    In fact you can get One Care as 'cheap as chips'! check out Nathan Weinbergs' blog @ Inside Microsoft...

    'If you wanted to download the new Windows Live OneCare 1.5, Microsoft’s all-in-one security suite that offers antivirus, firewall and backup, you can now get it for just $20 (£14.99), thirty bucks less than the usual price. Just head to this site by February 12 to get this great deal.'

    Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.