Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dell Axim

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    chemstudent

Seeing as this is a tech site and discussion board, I am sure some of you have a Dell Axim.  I purchased a Dell Axim v51x and have been less than satisfied with it and it seems to boil down to software:

1.  Why are there no less than 3 programs on here for wireless networking?  There is the Dell program, Wifi companion, the built in Windows networking and some Odyssey client.  For the life of me I can not figure out how to remove the Odyssey client because I think it is the root cause of my problems.

2.  The Switcher Bar is useless.  Half the time it seems to show running programs, and half the time it does not seem to.  Again, it seems to depend on two factors, the Odyssey client and/or possibly the programs running.   

3.  When opening Word and Excel files, why does it automatically always default to 100% view?  I switch the zoom to say 50%, close the document and reopen it and it is back to 100%.  

4.  How exactly does Exchange work on these devices?  I have multiple folders set up for various subjects.  Yet, I have to go to each folder and hit send/receive for the email to arrive to those folders.  Am I doing something wrong?

5.  I use gmail also.  I know there are ways to get the gmail app version to work on pocketpc by downloading a java client and downloading a file from google.  I tried it and was unsuccesful, does anyone have any suggestions?

6.  Why on the Today page does it only show a few HOURS in advance, if that?  Luckily I found an add on program that allows me to show days in advance, but still seems odd.
    (Second note, is there a way to have the calendar default to a view other than day?)

If anyone else has a Dell Axim and can point me in the direction of some of these queries I would be very appreciative.  I have tried google, dell websites, microsoft websites, but nothing seemed to answer my questions thus far.

Thanks
    David

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Besides the Wifi question, none of your complaints are Axim-specific.

I've got an X51v too, and have been largely happy with it, but WM5.0 has lots of room for improvement.

Re: the Today screen, change your settings:

Start > Settings > Personal > Today > Items > Calendar > Options > Display

• User profile image
    chemstudent

I apologize for the misleading title of the post.  I know my issues are not with the Dell itself, but the software instead. 

Do you have the Odyssey client installed on yours by chance also?  And if so, do you notice problems when running it with other programs?

Thanks for the reply though and the help so far.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

chemstudent wrote:
    I apologize for the misleading title of the post.  I know my issues are not with the Dell itself, but the software instead. 

Do you have the Odyssey client installed on yours by chance also?  And if so, do you notice problems when running it with other programs?

I've got the Odyssey client installed (it's standard issue on all Axims w/ Wifi) but I've never needed to use it. My house is hardwired gigabit, thus no need for wifi Smiley

Whilst you're trying to fix the other problems, tried getting Quake 3 Arena to work?

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

A decent tip for any relatively competent person regarding OEM devices (computers, phones and PDA's) is to erase everything and start from a clean slate. Just install the stuff you need and most of the time you'll find the device a lot speedier and overall more pleasant to use. OEM's (especially Dell) tend to overload their installs with tons of useless stuff that you won't even use most of the time. So if you can find a "clean" ROM for your device and you're comfortable flashing it then I suggest you go with that.

• User profile image
    chemstudent

No, have not really had all that much time to even play with the device all that much.  Most of it now is filled with programs for school (pharmacy).  But what use I have had with the device has been frustrating to say the least at times.  Hopefully soon I can sit down and actually play with this thing more than just firing up a program and checking out some drug information.

• User profile image
    chemstudent

There is the option for a hard reset, but I have not done it and I am willing to bet that all the software on there I do not really need will still be there afterwards.  I believe that ActiveSync cannot even see the Odyssey client I have mentioned before. 

I have no problems flashing/clean installing stuff, but finding the right files/media to do so with can be the biggest problem.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

chemstudent wrote:
    There is the option for a hard reset, but I have not done it and I am willing to bet that all the software on there I do not really need will still be there afterwards.  I believe that ActiveSync cannot even see the Odyssey client I have mentioned before. 

I have no problems flashing/clean installing stuff, but finding the right files/media to do so with can be the biggest problem.

The Odyssey client is used for authentication on certain types of wifi networks because WM doesn't support it internally. Unless your W-LAN uses Odyssey you don't need to use it.

So ActiveSync has nothing to do with Odyssey.

In late 2006 there was a BIOS update for the Axim X51v that updates it to the latest version of Windows Mobile (a bunch of bug fixes, allegedly improved performance, and a new battery indicator). Open your System Information applet to see if you're running ROM Version A12 (02000600)

• User profile image
    chemstudent

I know Odyssey and ActiveSync are not related, but I could have sworn I saw someone else with a Dell x51v and there was no odyssey client on it.  So I was wondering if he had uninstalled it via ActiveSync or his just did not come with it.

Yes, I have that ROM version.  But, mine says (06200600)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.