Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Evangelists/marketers/web editors/press: why not promote the Vista Upgrade Advisor?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    reinux

If you guys are on the forums lately:

Everyone's still confused about what sort of machine you need to upgrade to Vista.

There's a Vista Upgrade Advisor. It's what I used when I made my decision to upgrade my 3.5 year old $800 machine. Why not promote it more?

I see the press and all the naysayers blasting Windows for its minimum specs. Most people don't even know about the advisor.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

reinux wrote:
    Most people don't even know about the advisor.

Most people don't even know their computer's specs either.

Some people don't even know where the start button is!

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

alwaysmc2 wrote:

Or call their computer a modem, because at some point during an ISP tech support call, they were asked to check that their telephone line was pluged into the correct socket on the back of their modem... Smiley

• User profile image
    dentaku

RichardRudek wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote: 

Or call their computer a modem, because at some point during an ISP tech support call, they were asked to check that their telephone line was pluged into the correct socket on the back of their modem...

I deal with stuff like that all the time. Many people don't know what OS they're using and most people mix up their OS version and their Office version number.

One thing that is obvious to us but a really obscure concept to most people like this is that when you have something like Cable or DSL you're always connected to the internet. They only think that being connected to the internet means that a browser is open.

SO many people call their browser "google" because that's the first thing they see when they open a browser.

• User profile image
    reinux

Even more of a reason to advertise the Upgrade Advisor then, no?

• User profile image
    irascian

I think the Upgrade Advisor is very misleading.

Every single one of my PCs gives a response that tells me my PC can be upgraded to Vista. But then there's a little warning icon and when you click on that you find out that "Oh by the way I can't help you with drivers for the following stuff - try the vendor's web site" before giving a list of such things as network cards, sound cards, scanners etc.

Then there's the other icon which hides all the software that it won't run.

Do you really trust Joe Public to even twig they need to click on those icons to find out that stuff they totally rely on won't work despite that initial "Yeah this PC can be upgraded to Vista" schtick?

I don't, and with even the likes of HP (who are excellent on providing support on older equipment) advising "You're going to have to wait a month or two for drivers" I think the tool's actually very dangerous because it misleads you into thinking an upgrade is going to be straightforward when, more often than not, it isn't.

• User profile image
    reinux

Maybe it needs to be redesigned first then. One thing I think they could add while they're at it is a survey that tells you which edition is best for you based on whether you need remote desktop and previous versions, whether you need encryption, whether you need media center etc etc. 

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

btw I find how Canon is treating drivers completely ridiculous.

I have a LiDE 80 scanner, and I looked on their site and they released a Vista version of their driver, even though the XP version of the driver works fine.

However, they refuse to release a 64-bit version of the driver for either XP or Vista, even though their new scanners have 64-bit drivers. The LiDE 80 was also recently discontinued (similar models LiDE models aren't discontinued), and they choose to release a Vista driver thats not needed but not a 64-bit one.

and as another matter I'm still waiting for a ROM update for my Toshiba e740 PocketPC to the 2003 version of the PocketPC OS at least. if you remember they refused to do an update at the time, saying that because the e740 had built-in wireless features, there was no reason to offer an update to the 2003 OS which had wireless management. Well, guess what, now there's a reason. Because Vista's mobile device center doesn't support PocketPC 2002 devices. thanks, Toshiba. My PocketPC is now obsolete thanks to you.

• User profile image
    reinux

sirhomer wrote:
    Why exactly do you need to promote Vista? Microsoft is ensuring all new PCs built worldwide will have a copy of Vista, if you like it or not.

Same reason they have an upgrade version that you can buy, of course.

• User profile image
    reinux

brian.shapiro wrote:
    btw I find how Canon is treating drivers completely ridiculous.

I have a LiDE 80 scanner, and I looked on their site and they released a Vista version of their driver, even though the XP version of the driver works fine.

However, they refuse to release a 64-bit version of the driver for either XP or Vista, even though their new scanners have 64-bit drivers. The LiDE 80 was also recently discontinued (similar models LiDE models aren't discontinued), and they choose to release a Vista driver thats not needed but not a 64-bit one.

and as another matter I'm still waiting for a ROM update for my Toshiba e740 PocketPC to the 2003 version of the PocketPC OS at least. if you remember they refused to do an update at the time, saying that because the e740 had built-in wireless features, there was no reason to offer an update to the 2003 OS which had wireless management. Well, guess what, now there's a reason. Because Vista's mobile device center doesn't support PocketPC 2002 devices. thanks, Toshiba. My PocketPC is now obsolete thanks to you.

Hah, funny, you have the same problems I do for some reason.

I have a PocketPC e550gs myself, and yeah, Toshiba isn't offering any upgrades. Ugh.

Canon too. Out of all the stuff I have, my Canon scanner was the only thing that gave me problems installing drivers for. I had to wrestle with the installer for a while until I got it to work.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

I tell you what, I've been telling every man and his dog to upgrade, if your buting a new PC then it's a no brainer  VISTA, if your upgrading then check out the advisor and do it!

I'm getting fed up of reading forum posts, from uninformed 'Technical Support Engineers' who know sod all about operating system claiming not to upgrade because of all the bugs! When I press them for a valid reason and ask them what problems they are having, I get a generic 'well its just unstable and buggy' which means they are just repeating what some idiot on their office has said! Perplexed

• User profile image
    AJenbo

leeappdalecom wrote:
    I tell you what, I've been telling every man and his dog to upgrade, if your buting a new PC then it's a no brainer  VISTA, if your upgrading then check out the advisor and do it!

I'm getting fed up of reading forum posts, from uninformed 'Technical Support Engineers' who know sod all about operating system claiming not to upgrade because of all the bugs! When I press them for a valid reason and ask them what problems they are having, I get a generic 'well its just unstable and buggy' which means they are just repeating what some idiot on their office has said!

Yeah i have alot of pepole come up to me and ask what i think of Vista and how MS could have made such a POS just because they heard somthing from some one who read a forum post from some one who saw some one complaning about Vista on the other side of the strea. peapole will belive any thing just as long as it dosn't come from the official source it seams.

• User profile image
    reinux

AJenbo wrote:

Yeah i have alot of pepole come up to me and ask what i think of Vista and how MS could have made such a POS just because they heard somthing from some one who read a forum post from some one who saw some one complaning about Vista on the other side of the strea. peapole will belive any thing just as long as it dosn't come from the official source it seams.

Amen but not quite.

A lot of people ask me if I work for Microsoft when I say something about Vista. When I say no, they ask me if I'm getting paid to speak for them.

People just don't believe anything positive about Microsoft. Period.

By the way check out my petition against CNET's bogus upgrade advisor: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=291980

• User profile image
    rexisrex

@Irascian:I absolutely agree with you. The upgrade advisor is absolute crap or rather a Sham! I ran it from Vista Ultimate with Aero and Flip 3d enabled. Everything abt Ultimate is working in my Notebook but believe it or not the upgrader crap gave me a warning icon stating that my Nvidia 256 Mb graphics card needs upgrading as it may not support the Windows Aero experience. WTF??? I am sure the capitalistic Monopolistic Microshit Big Bully is at its best ever rip off game!All of you do yourself a favour: DONT EVER BASE YOUR DECISION OF A VISTA UPGRADE USING THE ADVISOR. ITS PLAIN RIP OFF AND NOTHING ELSE. As far I am concerned any damn PC bought a couple of years ago will be able to run Vista with AERO turned on. All thats needed is the Memory which shuld be 1 gb at the minimum and a WDDM driver supported graphics card. IMHO, This is a min configuration of a Multimedia PC even in the XP environment. Unless you have damn Old comp which you use to dry soiled currency notes, Vista should run on a Notebook PC with the foll spec:1 Ghz Processormin 1 Gig of RAM (This is what will make all the diff)A decent Graphics card.(No need to elaborate this point!)and you are thru to run that new (I need to watch my language)! 

• User profile image
    reinux

rexisrex wrote:
    @Irascian:I absolutely agree with you. The upgrade advisor is absolute crap or rather a Sham! I ran it from Vista Ultimate with Aero and Flip 3d enabled. Everything abt Ultimate is working in my Notebook but believe it or not the upgrader crap gave me a warning icon stating that my Nvidia 256 Mb graphics card needs upgrading as it may not support the Windows Aero experience. WTF??? I am sure the capitalistic Monopolistic Microshit Big Bully is at its best ever rip off game!All of you do yourself a favour: DONT EVER BASE YOUR DECISION OF A VISTA UPGRADE USING THE ADVISOR. ITS PLAIN RIP OFF AND NOTHING ELSE. As far I am concerned any damn PC bought a couple of years ago will be able to run Vista with AERO turned on. All thats needed is the Memory which shuld be 1 gb at the minimum and a WDDM driver supported graphics card. IMHO, This is a min configuration of a Multimedia PC even in the XP environment. Unless you have damn Old comp which you use to dry soiled currency notes, Vista should run on a Notebook PC with the foll spec:1 Ghz Processormin 1 Gig of RAM (This is what will make all the diff)A decent Graphics card.(No need to elaborate this point!)and you are thru to run that new (I need to watch my language)! 

Take a deep breath and tell me how "capitalistic Monopolistic Microsoft Big Bully" is supposed to benefit from overestimating your system requirements.

I have a nearly 4 year old Radeon 9600, Upgrade Advisor told me it will run Aero just fine, and here I am running Aero now. So the warning on your card is probably just a glitch.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.