Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to properly install Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

http://break.com/index/how_to_properly_load_vista.html

"Anthony from the Opie and Anthony show spent over 12 hours trying to install Windows Vista without success. After downloading countless drivers that didn't work and dealing with lots of hardware conflict issues, he finally figured out the best way to load it onto his machine."

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Cybermagellan wrote:
    http://break.com/index/how_to_properly_load_vista.html

"Anthony from the Opie and Anthony show spent over 12 hours trying to install Windows Vista without success. After downloading countless drivers that didn't work and dealing with lots of hardware conflict issues, he finally figured out the best way to load it onto his machine."

This reminds me of a n ad for a beverage, where it says "Twist to open". And the guy stood there for 12 minutes twisting his body, waiting for the beverage to pop open for him.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I didn't like it. He's trying too hard to be funny. The idea is good, and would be funny if the performer didn't suck.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

TommyCarlier wrote:
    I didn't like it. He's trying too hard to be funny. The idea is good, and would be funny if the performer didn't suck.

Um, it wasn't meant to be funny...

Opie and Anthony are shock jocks from NY. Anthony is pretty damn good with computers and talked about the video on todays show, he tried and tried, and tried...describing what happened with each try. It was pure frustration and he even said that he's sad that for a millionaire and the type of computer he runs (Flawlessly plays Flight Simulator X) that even the bios was incompatible.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Cybermagellan wrote:

TommyCarlier wrote: I didn't like it. He's trying too hard to be funny. The idea is good, and would be funny if the performer didn't suck.

Um, it wasn't meant to be funny...

Opie and Anthony are shock jocks from NY. Anthony is pretty damn good with computers and talked about the video on todays show, he tried and tried, and tried...describing what happened with each try. It was pure frustration and he even said that he's sad that for a millionaire and the type of computer he runs (Flawlessly plays Flight Simulator X) that even the bios was incompatible.

Only you can prevent retarded radio jocks from becoming millionaires.  Remember, if your child wants to become an on-air personality, crush their dreams.  Often.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

The guy in the video was right.  Thats the best way to install Vista.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

corona_coder wrote:
    The guy in the video was right.  Thats the best way to install Vista.

As a Linux user I'm sure you're right, after all you know more about 12+ installations than us Windows users.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Its been 2 years since my Linux install.  Unlike Windows where you either reinstall every three months or the OS forces a reinstall. 

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

A reinstall every 3 months? I've been running Windows XP for years now, and I've never had to reinstall it. Upgrading to SP2 went pretty smooth (the only problem was my firewall, but that was easily fixed). I install tons of software, I try out new stuff, beta stuff, and I never had to reinstall Windows. I take regular backups on an external harddisk (using Norton Ghost), and I never ever had to restore a backup. I almost never experienced an OS crash, and the few times it did happen, rebooting my machine solved the problem.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

It took me all of 30 minutes to install Vista.  It was the easiest install I have ever had to do.  If he couldn't do it then maybe he should just give up on computers.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

JeremyJ wrote:
    It took me all of 30 minutes to install Vista.  It was the easiest install I have ever had to do.  If he couldn't do it then maybe he should just give up on computers.

See he said he was getting alot of those reactions, I don't know the kind of computer he has but thing is that the BIOS wasn't compatible. I don't know how much more you can do about that Expressionless

I'm running across an issue myself. My desktop all of a sudden lost internet connection and I've done everything about it. Yet, my router and Mac can do the wireless connection. I'm giving a thought to going to Ubuntu or Fedora just a little...dunno yet.

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Thats about how I feel right now. I have a nice and powerful computer that passes all of the compatability tests but when I go to install it bluescreens.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Cybermagellan wrote:
    See he said he was getting alot of those reactions, I don't know the kind of computer he has but thing is that the BIOS wasn't compatible. I don't know how much more you can do about that
    The only BIOS issues I've seen so far are on Dell machines that have had their BIOS reset to factory defaults which turns RAID on and Vista setup then generates an IRQL error.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

IRenderable wrote:
    Thats about how I feel right now. I have a nice and powerful computer that passes all of the compatability tests but when I go to install it bluescreens.

(Threadjack even though I submitted the same video like last week Smiley )

It's too bad that the power of computer isn't correlated to blue screenability Wink . So far the bluescreens I've debugged have mostly been onboard sound. You could try stripping down the pc before installing and turning off unneeded onboard stuff in the bios. Not the optimal solution, but it could work.

I've also had setup bluescreen after not providing a good SATA driver. I installed from Windows so my drive was visible, then setup didn't have my SATA driver and blew up on reboot. This might've been fixed, that was probably like a year ago.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

PetKnep wrote:

IRenderable wrote:Thats about how I feel right now. I have a nice and powerful computer that passes all of the compatability tests but when I go to install it bluescreens.

(Threadjack even though I submitted the same video like last week )

It's too bad that the power of computer isn't correlated to blue screenability . So far the bluescreens I've debugged have mostly been onboard sound. You could try stripping down the pc before installing and turning off unneeded onboard stuff in the bios. Not the optimal solution, but it could work.

I've also had setup bluescreen after not providing a good SATA driver. I installed from Windows so my drive was visible, then setup didn't have my SATA driver and blew up on reboot. This might've been fixed, that was probably like a year ago.

Should we have to though?

• User profile image
    AndyC

It's not surprising Windows has issues installing if you don't have drivers compatible with your hard disk. The irony, of course, is that this in much more likely to be an issue if you do own a super high spec machine rather than something with a fairly bog standard controller.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

AndyC wrote:
    It's not surprising Windows has issues installing if you don't have drivers compatible with your hard disk. The irony, of course, is that this in much more likely to be an issue if you do own a super high spec machine rather than something with a fairly bog standard controller.

Which considering his income, he's probably got a supercomputer sitting on his desk

Note: I don't know exactly what kind he has.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

Cybermagellan wrote:

PetKnep wrote: 
    IRenderable wrote: Thats about how I feel right now. I have a nice and powerful computer that passes all of the compatability tests but when I go to install it bluescreens.

(Threadjack even though I submitted the same video like last week )

It's too bad that the power of computer isn't correlated to blue screenability . So far the bluescreens I've debugged have mostly been onboard sound. You could try stripping down the pc before installing and turning off unneeded onboard stuff in the bios. Not the optimal solution, but it could work.

Should we have to though?

Obviously the answer is "you shouldn't have to". However, all the software and hardware was made by humans so there's a good chance it has flaws. Sometimes workarounds have to be made to make things work. Sometimes things in kernel mode don't act like they should. Sometimes it's MS code and sometimes it's 3rd party code.

I don't have the box here on kd so I can't say with 100% certainty what the problem is.

One solution is that everyone could agree to only use one kind of computer, with one motherboard and one video card supplier. Then all possible hardware conflicts would be documented. But who would want that? Prices would be inflated and smugness would envelope Tongue Out It's an option, but it's not for everyone.

Another solution is to move as many drivers as possible to user mode. I don't know how many IHVs are on board with this, but I do know that it's not enough for my liking.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.