Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Why we don't have a: free, .NET, small footprint database engine?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I'm searching for a good an small footprint (< 3MB) database engine that supports database files > 5GB and its concurrent. Didn't found nothing so far. SQLite is good but it has some concurrency problems. Its a shame that we don't have something like VistaDB that is free. Or something like HSSQLDB for .NET better than SharpHSQL. Any chance for SQL E to support database files larger than 4GB? or some suggestions? 

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

So is SQL Express to large then?

• User profile image
    gallo

SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition. Just 1.7MB of DLLs, no installation neccessary:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=85E0C3CE-3FA1-453A-8CE9-AF6CA20946C3

I don't know if it supports > 5GB databases and if you can have several instances work on the same database file, but it may be worth a look.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Firebird is free and has a small footprint.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Greater than 4GB on a 32-bit OS typically means that they can't use cheats such as mapped views of files, etc.

Anyway, there is also a Compact Edition, which is (suspiciously)  similar in size to the SQL Everywhere I downloaded a few months back (renamed to compact ?). Same 4GB limitation on DB size as Express, but limited to just one database. Perhaps compression (of strings) might be a workaround, and/or better normalisation.

[Choosing between Compact and Express]

[SQL Server compact Edition home]

EDIT: Damn you Gallo... Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

I remember hearing about an MS "Anywhere" product that gives you DB functionalities in a single, portable DLL. I searched for "SQL Anywhere" but looks like Sybase has that product. I'll try to look for it. This is very cool, IMO.

• User profile image
    staceyw

RichardRudek wrote:
    Greater than 4GB on a 32-bit OS typically means that they can't use cheats such as mapped views of files, etc.

Anyway, there is also a Compact Edition, which is (suspiciously)  similar in size to the SQL Everywhere I downloaded a few months back (renamed to compact ?). Same 4GB limitation on DB size as Express, but limited to just one database. Perhaps compression (of strings) might be a workaround, and/or better normalisation.

[Choosing between Compact and Express]

[SQL Server compact Edition home]

EDIT: Damn you Gallo...

Yes, it is the same product with a name change and maybe some other tooling fixups.  Next version should support >4gb.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Is it really "small footprint" still if you want it to support databases in the gigabyte size range?

• User profile image
    slyzius

Also, ScimoreDB is free, supports 32/64 bit and .NET provider.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.