Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sound Recorder

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SEP2007

I've just got a microphone for the computer and have been using the sound recorder that comes with XP, but it only records 60 seconds of sound at one time.

Can anyone recommend a software package I could use to record sound for longer periods of time ?

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

There is a work-around.  In Sound Recorder, record a short audio clip.  Then, move the slider to the beginning of the clip and press Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V.  If you do that a few times, the length of the clip will grow exponentially, and you can record for much longer.
    (By the way, this problem is fixed in Vista.)

• User profile image
    littleguru

This one (Audacity) isn't bad.

• User profile image
    littleguru

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    (By the way, this problem is fixed in Vista.)

Wow (another one)! The Sound Recorder in Vista is COOL!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

littleguru wrote:
    This one (Audacity) isn't bad.

Audacity is wonderful--  used it to record over an hour of audio once and it didn't even hiccup.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

littleguru wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote: (By the way, this problem is fixed in Vista.)

lol

• User profile image
    littleguru

alwaysmc2 wrote:

littleguru wrote: 
    alwaysmc2 wrote: (By the way, this problem is fixed in Vista.)

lol

Yes that is really cool. Simple, does everything that is expected and works! The UI is also very straight forward. Everybody can use this app!

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

That looks like the best UI I have seen in a while. If only more apps were as simple to use.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:

TommyCarlier wrote: That looks like the best UI I have seen in a while. If only more apps were as simple to use.

I must be a weirdo because I think it is *still* too complicated. I fully expect some semiotician to arrive and tell me I am crazy, but a quick straw poll - what does the red circle mean? Or the green triangle pointing right? What's with the far too prominent help?

Well the red dot you should recognize from your old casette recorder (if you still own one) and you are not supposed to click the triangle Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Rossj

TommyCarlier wrote:
    That looks like the best UI I have seen in a while. If only more apps were as simple to use.

I must be a weirdo because I think it is *still* too complicated. I fully expect some semiotician to arrive and tell me I am crazy, but a quick straw poll - what does the red circle mean? Or the green triangle pointing right? What's with the far too prominent help?

While I think about it - what is the grey box for? Does it show progress or a waveform (so I can see when I am talking too loudly - something I do a lot)?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier wrote:

Where's the scrubber and editing tools gone?

So much for the childish delights of speeding one's voice up 100% or reversing it.

But yeah, for any voice-recording work use Audacity.

• User profile image
    SEP2007

Thanks

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo wrote:
    Where's the scrubber and editing tools gone?

So much for the childish delights of speeding one's voice up 100% or reversing it.

Like you are missing them Tongue Out I don't believe you, W3bbo Big Smile

• User profile image
    CSMR

SEP2007 wrote:
    I've just got a microphone for the computer and have been using the sound recorder that comes with XP, but it only records 60 seconds of sound at one time.

Can anyone recommend a software package I could use to record sound for longer periods of time ?

I would suggest foobar.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CSMR wrote:

SEP2007 wrote:I've just got a microphone for the computer and have been using the sound recorder that comes with XP, but it only records 60 seconds of sound at one time.

I would suggest foobar.

Foobar is a jukebox-like program (in the same vein as Winamp 2.x)

• User profile image
    CSMR

W3bbo wrote:
    Foobar is a jukebox-like program (in the same vein as Winamp 2.x)

Oops, the new version of foobar doesn't do recording. Shame, it was quite handy. My mistake.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Rossj wrote:

I must be blind or something but I can't see a green triangle in that screenshot... And the red circle thing, is there anyone who doesn't know what that means? Casette players, VCRs, and even my parents' brand new DVR all use it. Plus if you really don't know, it says "Start recording" right next to it, that ought to be a hint. Smiley

Rossj wrote:
    While I think about it - what is the grey box for? Does it show progress or a waveform (so I can see when I am talking too loudly - something I do a lot)?

It shows volume, so you can use it to see when you're talking too loud. No waveform though.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Sven Groot wrote:

Rossj wrote:I must be a weirdo because I think it is *still* too complicated. I fully expect some semiotician to arrive and tell me I am crazy, but a quick straw poll - what does the red circle mean? Or the green triangle pointing right? What's with the far too prominent help?

I must be blind or something but I can't see a green triangle in that screenshot... And the red circle thing, is there anyone who doesn't know what that means? Casette players, VCRs, and even my parents' brand new DVR all use it. Plus if you really don't know, it says "Start recording" right next to it, that ought to be a hint.

That was *exactly* my point, there isn't a green triangle to re-play what you recorded - but you know what one is, in the same way you know what the red circle is for. I was questioning the need for the "Start recording" text, it seems a little unnecessary.

But there are bound to be some people who don't know what they mean, which is probably why the text is there - and why I expected someone fully versed in semiotics to tell me that it is necessary.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.