Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How many are using Vista in a way like the longhorn concepts?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ddewbofh

I was checking out the old longhorn concepts from 2003 and how they show that explorer was supposed to be used less and less. That you would browse less and work with searching and tagging instead.

What's happened for me is that for the first few months of Vista-testing I used the "old" XP way of accessing files, browsing folders etc. but now after getting used to using the start-menu's search and the included apps for everything I work differently. I've set up a few stored searches for some special cases but apart from that I hardly use the file browser.

I seriously think that within a few months I'll be able to work without any file-browsing at all, instead relying on indexes and searches.

I find that pretty amazing, if you start using Vista "the Vista way" it's really obvious that it's more than XP with a fancy GUI. Anyone else had similar experiences?

• User profile image
    A*

In some ways I do... in some ways I don't...

I have a folder structure that I save my files in, but to access the files i use search and the indexed tags.  I hope sometime in the near future MS releases a powertoy that puts back the library functionality in like Beta 1 - Dec CTP.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

A* wrote:

In some ways I do... in some ways I don't...

I have a folder structure that I save my files in, but to access the files i use search and the indexed tags.  I hope sometime in the near future MS releases a powertoy that puts back the library functionality in like Beta 1 - Dec CTP.

Wasn't the library just a search folder of all indexed locations?

• User profile image
    A*

true... but it was instead of the documents, music, etc. folders that are linked to the start menu, and context sensative sidebars replaced the favorite links bar in explorer.

you can create them, but there is know way to create the level of integration they had in Explorer

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

A* wrote:
    true... but it was instead of the documents, music, etc. folders that are linked to the start menu, and context sensative sidebars replaced the favorite links bar in explorer.

you can create them, but there is know way to create the level of integration they had in Explorer

The concept there wasn't that intuitive, though.  "Where'd my file I just closed go?  It shows up in Documents, but I can't find it in the Documents folder!"

• User profile image
    A*

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

A* wrote: true... but it was instead of the documents, music, etc. folders that are linked to the start menu, and context sensative sidebars replaced the favorite links bar in explorer.

The concept there wasn't that intuitive, though.  "Where'd my file I just closed go?  It shows up in Documents, but I can't find it in the Documents folder!"

That's why it should be released as a powertoy... something only powerusers would use

• User profile image
    Charles

ddewbofh wrote:

I find that pretty amazing, if you start using Vista "the Vista way" it's really obvious that it's more than XP with a fancy GUI. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Indeed. There are many new user constructs in Vista (that are also programmable, mind you) that truly separate Vista from its predecessors...

How else are you using Vista in the "Vista Way"?

Great thread!
    C

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Charles wrote:

ddewbofh wrote:

Indeed. There are many new user constructs in Vista (that are also programmable, mind you) that truly separate Vista from its predecessors...

How else are you using Vista in the "Vista Way"?

Great thread!
    C

Everything just feels better integrated, it's easier to write a document and access extra information without having to open extra applications. Let's say I'm working on a presentation and I need to find a date for an event, I just press winkey and type in the name of the event and enter. Or if I need some info from a mail I got but I can't remember who sent it, when it was sent or the title. I just press winkey and type a few keywords.

The functionality in WDS is similar but nowhere near as fast or streamlined as it is in Vista, to me it's the most valuable new user-centric feature and of course WPF coming in as the top developer feature. Smiley

• User profile image
    mstefan

However, a real problem is that you can't tag all files. I don't know why they didn't implement it for non-Office files using alternate data streams. Being limited to a small subset of file types is less than useful, IMHO.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I just wish Search was available on the desktop, rather than having to open up a window.  Maybe a Search gadget would do the trick.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

JChung2006 wrote:
    I just wish Search was available on the desktop, rather than having to open up a window.  Maybe a Search gadget would do the trick.

When you say "open up a window", do you mean the start-menu or the actual search window? Most of the time I do my "operations" directly on the results in the menu.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

mstefan wrote:
    However, a real problem is that you can't tag all files. I don't know why they didn't implement it for non-Office files using alternate data streams. Being limited to a small subset of file types is less than useful, IMHO.

Unfortunately, alternate data streams are lost when you move the file to a non-NTFS system, with no warning or anything. The user experience in that case is very jarring and unexpected...

I am looking at possible options to solve exactly this problem Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

<still back in xp>

apart from speed - there are some ..other... things i miss about vista.

- not highlighting the file extentions when renaming (that was handy)

- the big thumnail zoom. while the only views i use are list and thumbs - ya - i miss big thumbs for finding stuff

- guess what... the search.  i never really liked going to a google esque OS - but i did like how search worked - although it did bomb alot

- not waiting for desktop wallpaper changes (fade fade fade -ITS JUST A WALLPAPER! Wink)

that's about it - with speed still being the main one

• User profile image
    mstefan

PaoloM wrote:
    Unfortunately, alternate data streams are lost when you move the file to a non-NTFS system, with no warning or anything. The user experience in that case is very jarring and unexpected...

A suitable punishment for not using NTFS, says I. Cool

• User profile image
    cheong

mstefan wrote:

PaoloM wrote:Unfortunately, alternate data streams are lost when you move the file to a non-NTFS system, with no warning or anything. The user experience in that case is very jarring and unexpected...

A suitable punishment for not using NTFS, says I.

Unfortunately, even if both source and destination are using NTFS, if they transfer the file with FTP, or have zipped the file first to decrease it's size, the ADS will still be lost.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

I'm using saved searches in stacks!

Woo! Hooray for both searches, stacks and all that gubbins.

Are there any other things I could be doing? What Vista goodness am I missing out on?

• User profile image
    blowdart

PaoloM wrote:

mstefan wrote:However, a real problem is that you can't tag all files. I don't know why they didn't implement it for non-Office files using alternate data streams. Being limited to a small subset of file types is less than useful, IMHO.

I am looking at possible options to solve exactly this problem

WinFS? *duck*

• User profile image
    Flatliner

PaoloM wrote:

I am looking at possible options to solve exactly this problem

That was why I think WinFS was such a big part of Longhorn's original vision, allowing the OS to crack open files and put meta data inside them when they left the sanctity of the "Store".

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.