Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

Vista AV - What are you using?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

Hi,

What AV "Anti Virus Software" is everyine here using on there Vista machines?

Currently im testing OneCare

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I'm using OneCare on x86 and Avast on x64.

• User profile image
    gtanis

NOD32

• User profile image
    victor_c26

Using AVG Free edition here.

• User profile image
    JonesJ

None, never have done, never had a virus.

Judicious use of the "No" and "Cancel" buttons suffices.

Every machine I have seen with Norton on has been slow as a dog and the stuff is like Ivy, infesting just about every software stack in the OS!

Companies like Symantec and Norton are going to have to re-invent themselves, theirs is a dying market, hence all the noise they are currently making, trynig to scare people into continuing to buy their products.

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

JonesJ wrote:
    None, never have done, never had a virus.

products.

JonesJ How do you know you dont have any viri ?

• User profile image
    cescotto

I'm using AOL Active Virus Shield 6 (no it's not the usual AOL crap, it's a rebranded kaspersky 6 (the antivirus with the best detection available)) however I had to remove the realtime scan drivers because they were BSODing my vista (I wasn't getting any "incompatible application" warning on Vista so I suppose it's vista compatible and it's just a conflict with something I have installed on my PC).

• User profile image
    littleguru

None Smiley Just UAC + Defender + not opening unknown attachments + not opening unknown .exe files.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

littleguru wrote:
    None Just UAC + Defender + not opening unknown attachments + not opening unknown .exe files.

ditto.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

littleguru wrote:
    None Just UAC + Defender + not opening unknown attachments + not opening unknown .exe files.

That's the best way to go! Smiley

• User profile image
    AdityaG

I don't even run anything on XP. I just have a router firewall and I dont watch shady pron Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

I must say im surprised that most people here are not using AV!!!
    How about you MSFT people what are you using?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

BitDefender!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

is it really that surprising? were mostly tech-heads into know how rot to he infected in the first place Apt I'd rather deal with a miros then have Wilston PPS AV installed and dolling my system Sun

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

I just did a scan with safety.live.com and all is well! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

W3bbo wrote:
    is it really that surprising? were mostly tech-heads into know how rot to he infected in the first place Apt I'd rather deal with a miros then have Wilston PPS AV installed and dolling my system Sun

Do we really know everything thats going on in our windows based system? Do you really only just run trusted software? are you sure of how safe IE is? Also considering the speed of modern machines is it not worh the performance hit Wink

• User profile image
    irascian

Skriker V1.0 wrote:
    I must say im surprised that most people here are not using AV!!!
    How about you MSFT people what are you using?

Assuming that less than a handful of people who've said they don't run AV is "most people here" is rather foolish don't you think?!

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

I already had a subscription to OneCare so I just installed it and it works like a champ.  I have used NOD32 in the past and liked it a lot.  I haven't tried it on Vista though.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.