Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Weird Flip 3d behavior - bug or 'feature'

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    geeky123

Flip 3d seems to have this weird behavior, if you minize a window and then switch to it using flip3d, it stays minimized.

Now that is just crazy design. after all the whole point of using flip3d is to 'switch' to the window you select, if you have to 'unminimize' it by clicking on the taskbar then whats the point of it.

Yes, i know this is not a bug, this is a feature but someone care to explain me why?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

No repro here, the windows don't stay minimized.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Same here, no repro. They pop up as they should.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

I can't do that either.
    Will you describe in more detail? A video would be nice..

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I've seen this same effect as when you somethimes hover over minimised apps on the task bar as well, something to do with the app invalidating it's self but not redrawing as it's minimised or some such so the DWM has no buffer to draw, can't remember the exact reason.

• User profile image
    geeky123

Well then maybe i have 'special' version, but i can guarantee the windows are not popping back up for me unless they are 'not minimized' , ie are the back of some other window.

Also, I dont know whether this too is happening with you or not, but with firefox 2.0 if i minize it and do flip 3d, half the time (not always, but half the time) I see that instead of the firefox window, just a little title bar with the maximize/minimze/buttons on it and no client area.
    I dont know whether this is a firefox or flip3d bug or feature but this is happening.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

geeky123 wrote:
    Also, I dont know whether this too is happening with you or not, but with firefox 2.0 if i minize it and do flip 3d, half the time (not always, but half the time) I see that instead of the firefox window, just a little title bar with the maximize/minimze/buttons on it and no client area.
    I dont know whether this is a firefox or flip3d bug or feature but this is happening.

That has to do with the issue PerfectPhase mentioned. When an app is minimised, it doesn't redraw, so the DWM uses the last cached version of the app's window to show in the thumbnail and Flip3D. But if the window started minimized, or was minimized when the DWM was enabled, there is no cached version to show.

It still shouldn't leave them minimized though.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I'm not able to reproduce it... Tried it several times.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Hmm, I am sure I experienced the same problem with 'My Expose' software (works similarly like flip 3d) - I remember I was thinking that this is one thing they should improve... but well this thing disappeared, and I can't reproduce it no matter what I try.. Maybe DWM was repaired with some update...

• User profile image
    geeky123

Here is the image showing the flip3d bug with firefox.
    Notice that the firefox window appears like a small tab instead of a full preview.
    Also when you actually select it, it doesnt get mazimized.

http://i1.tinypic.com/2ppix6q.jpg

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

geeky123 wrote:
    Notice that the firefox window appears like a small tab instead of a full preview.

Do you have any plugins running in Firefox? Try disabling all your plugins/addons and see if it still repros.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Jason Cox wrote:

geeky123 wrote:Here is the image showing the flip3d bug with firefox.

Do you have any plugins running in Firefox? Try disabling all your plugins/addons and see if it still repros.

I've noticed that Firefox can have some strange minimize behavior even in XP, so seeing something like that doesn't suprise me.  It's most likely Firefox's fault.

• User profile image
    Rowan

The thing that prevents me from using Flip3D is that you have to press alt+tab > tab (tab twice) to start switching windows. Or is that just a bug?

I also don't like the way the desktop has been added to the cycle in both Flip3D and normal alt+tab, because the desktop isn't a window! If I want the desktop I just press start+d.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

(double post)

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

geeky123 wrote:

It's not a Flip2D bug. This is caused usually by Outlook and any attempt to open link from application. Each click on link opening 2 firefox windows, one with "zero size". I have it each day.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

Rowan wrote:
    The thing that prevents me from using Flip3D is that you have to press alt+tab > tab (tab twice) to start switching windows. Or is that just a bug?

I also don't like the way the desktop has been added to the cycle in both Flip3D and normal alt+tab, because the desktop isn't a window! If I want the desktop I just press start+d.
    It's a feature. Myself, I've gotten used to that in Flip 3D. Invoking Flip 3D lets me see everything I have open so I dont have to click through the taskbar and if I want to switch apps or check the status of something I have open, then I can tab through it.

I prefer Start+M myself, it minimizes all windows but leaves Sidebar open.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.