Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Girls & IT

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    zys

During my 9 years career in the IT I have encountered few girls in the IT industry even fewer in the dev domain.
    Besides those who are, are not really passionate with what they are doing and consider changing career whenever the opportunity arises.

For example, I donno the number of girls in in this forum but I can expect that it is much lower than the number of guys.
    It is strange to notice this fact:s and still helpless cncerning it interpretation and the reason behind.

• User profile image
    Pop Catalin Sever

I think it has something to do with the fact that IT related work it's not a verry social kind of work. Women/girls from my observations seem to prefer the kind of jobs where is allot of social interaction involved...(nursing, teaching, marketing, etc).

Also the developers aren't the most sociable people on earth(unfortunatley) actualy they are quite the oposite...

• User profile image
    rcardona

(function pointer to a function accepting a double returning void * as a pointer to an array of pointers to a function pointer accepting int) == no girls for you

• User profile image
    zys

rcardona wrote:
    (function pointer to a function accepting a double returning void * as a pointer to an array of pointers to a function pointer accepting int) == no girls for you

Nice remark Big Smile
    But I don't have any problem with girls even with plenty of pointers;)
    Coz I separate my passion to the IT from my social life...As a matter of fact I have never spoken anything related to computers with my ex-gf Tongue Out

• User profile image
    die-Sel

In my team alone we have 4 females. Over the company, about 30% are female of a 2000 total employes

• User profile image
    eblonk

zys wrote:
    As a matter of fact I have never spoken anything related to computers with my ex-gf

I speak about it with my wife, like this:

"Why doesn't our computer work like it does with normal people?"
    "Because I'm a geek"
    *sigh*

It doesn't exactly go like that but after being married for over 11 years, I get the subliminal messages Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.