Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

OT: Vista not recognising my PSP (PSP TypeA?)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dcshadow

Hi everyone,
    Forgive me if i am missing the obvious (wife just had a baby boy at the weekend, therefore not much sleep) but I am having major problems trying to get Vista to recognise my PSP (via usb). Connected it to my XP and 2003 boxes with no problems but I can't find any info on how to get VISTA to get passed the 'Identify driver for PSP type A' stage Sad

Has ANYONE had these problems?
    Has ANYONE found an answer?

Yours, A very tired and confused

DC

• User profile image
    cescotto

dcshadow wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    Forgive me if i am missing the obvious (wife just had a baby boy at the weekend, therefore not much sleep) but I am having major problems trying to get Vista to recognise my PSP (via usb). Connected it to my XP and 2003 boxes with no problems but I can't find any info on how to get VISTA to get passed the 'Identify driver for PSP type A' stage

Has ANYONE had these problems?
    Has ANYONE found an answer?

Yours, A very tired and confused

DC

Which drivers does the PSP use on XP/2003? The generic USB mass storage driver?

• User profile image
    dcshadow

Hi,
    Yes, USB Mass Storage Device at system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS

• User profile image
    cescotto

dcshadow wrote:
    Hi,
    Yes, USB Mass Storage Device at system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS

Try doing this:

- go in c:\windows\inf
    - copy USBSTOR.inf
    - create a folder in c: for example c:\tmp\
    - paste the USBSTOR.inf in that file
    - try to have windows load the drivers from that folder

• User profile image
    dcshadow

Doing your implicit "For pete's sake, use the driver you already know about' tactic I have managed to make some progress.

Now, it is looking for Sony PSP USB device drivers... THIS is fun, never mind changing nappies!

• User profile image
    dcshadow

Nope, didnt find a driver for Sony PSP usb device.
    I am seriously amazed that nobody has come across this issue... or has reported its solution.

...however, I really appreciate the help your providing!

• User profile image
    Massif

When I get home I shall attempt for the first time to connect my PSP to Vista.

The other possibility is that you may need to update your PSP, what firmware version are you on?

• User profile image
    cescotto

This is really weird. Well there's another solution.

Go in the device manager, right click on the unknown sony PSP device, watch the Vid&Pid in the advanced settings and then edit the USBSTOR.inf file you copied somewhere else and place those values there (search VID in the INF file and you'll see where you should place them, just replace the vid&pid in one of those entries). Then retry installing the drivers from that folder.

• User profile image
    dcshadow

Thanks mate, Thought the same thing and yes there was an update - which has now been applied - so now on the latest firmware (3.1.1) - if only it were that simple.

I was wondering if it was due to a faulty cable, but if that were the case then it wouldnt work on the other PCs.

...so, let me know how you get on tonight!

• User profile image
    cescotto

dcshadow wrote:

Thanks mate, Thought the same thing and yes there was an update - which has now been applied - so now on the latest firmware (3.1.1) - if only it were that simple.

I was wondering if it was due to a faulty cable, but if that were the case then it wouldnt work on the other PCs.

...so, let me know how you get on tonight!

Have you tried editing the USBSTOR.inf like I told you?

• User profile image
    Massif

Sadly(? For you I guess.), my PSP installed perfectly.

It's showing up as a Sony PSP USB device. The drivers appear to be a couple of standard drivers (disk.sys and partmgr.sys in Windows\System32\drivers... although there's clearly something a little off about it because one's in Windows\system32\DRIVERS and the other's in Windows\System32\drivers)

Curious, I'm on Vista x64, and running a slightly old firmware (not the very latest, but definitely v. 3 or above.) upgrading to the latest makes no difference.

I'm afraid I don't know what the problem you're having is caused by.

• User profile image
    dcshadow

hi,
    yeah - resulting in a line under 'sony'
    %USB\VID_054C&PID_01C8.DeviceDesc%=USBSTOR_CB,         USB\VID_054C&PID_01C8

uninstalled and tried again - to no avail.

I am not sure when it gets to this kinda thing unfortunately - and the only info i could find that referred to VID/PID etc is the Parent info panel upon the unrecognised Sony PSP USB device Details tab.

• User profile image
    dcshadow

grrrr

• User profile image
    cescotto

dcshadow wrote:

hi,
    yeah - resulting in a line under 'sony'
    %USB\VID_054C&PID_01C8.DeviceDesc%=USBSTOR_CB,         USB\VID_054C&PID_01C8

uninstalled and tried again - to no avail.

I am not sure when it gets to this kinda thing unfortunately - and the only info i could find that referred to VID/PID etc is the Parent info panel upon the unrecognised Sony PSP USB device Details tab.

I had the same identical problem with a previous install of Vista, pratically Vista wasn't seeing the drivers it ships with: probably the driver database/cache got corrupted however I have no idea if there's a way to reset it.

The only way to load the driver was to copy the INF file in some other folder and then tell windows to look for the driver in that folder when it asks for the drive position.

BTW try connecting some other USB device you never installed on Vista and see if you have that problem with those devices, just to be sure it's the same problem I had.

• User profile image
    dcshadow

Right, got it !!!

Taking inspiration from your last message ceScotto, i copied ALL the inf from the Windows\drivers folder into a temp folder and pointed both 'wizards' to that directory.

Hmm, something stinks me think - and this time it aint the baby. What's going on Microsoft???

• User profile image
    cescotto

dcshadow wrote:

Right, got it !!!

Taking inspiration from your last message ceScotto, i copied ALL the inf from the Windows\drivers folder into a temp folder and pointed both 'wizards' to that directory.

Hmm, something stinks me think - and this time it aint the baby. What's going on Microsoft???

Did it work?

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

Hey another wegie Smiley

• User profile image
    Sonofsaiyan

I had this problem for quite a while, in the end the solution to my problem was kinda simple, I had to instal a new copy of usbstor.inf, put it in my windows>inf folder and then point the driver update to that exact file then select the digitally signed mass storage device driver form the list of compatible devices

heres where you can download the file

http://www.infdump.com/cgi-bin/testwrap/downloadcounts.cgi?rt=count&path=inffiles/U/USBSTOR.INF

hope this helps, I registered here just to try and give you an answer

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.