Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Considering a new PDA

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    imekon

I have a Palm LifeDrive as my current PDA. At the time I bought it, it had such promise etc...

The reality is not so good. The darn thing is very good at crashing, eventually trashing itself so much so apps start failing. The only recourse is to wipe and start again...

The 5Gbyte disk drive isn't worth it - I think flash RAM is far better. It just slows the PDA down.

I don't know if Windows Mobile based PDA's are any better...

I found one by Fujitsu Siemens, the LOOX N560. Looks pretty good, had all the things I'd want except...

The wireless network doesn't support WPA (so I've read).

Let's see, my Apple MacBook supports WPA, as does my LifeDrive but... Windows Mobile doesn't?

I have been using WEP for ages but switched to WPA as its more secure - never saw any issues with WEP (with MAC filters and hidden SSID).

My Ubuntu laptop didn't understand WPA last time I tried it either... but that's another story.

Sad

• User profile image
    Steven J Ackerman

I wouldn't bother with any Windows Mobile device if you have a requirement to synchronize with a PC. Since WM5, synchronization has been broken at the request of the cellphone companies using WM5 in their phones to allow creation of a billable event.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Steven J Ackerman wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with any Windows Mobile device if you have a requirement to synchronize with a PC. Since WM5, synchronization has been broken at the request of the cellphone companies using WM5 in their phones to allow creation of a billable event.

What?!

All my 3 WM5 devices (JasJar, 2125, BlackJack) sync perfectly with XP and Vista... unless I'm grossly misunderstanding what you're saying (and that's always a real possibility Smiley)

• User profile image
    Red5

The best screen resolution I have seen so far is the Dell Axim PocketPC's.  Crystal clear and easy on the eyes.

If you're interested in embedded Linux, I have an older Sharp Zaurus I might be willing to part with for a few $$.  The only reason I don't use it now is I don't have the capability to write programs for it like I do with the PocketPC.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

imekon wrote:

I've got a Dell Axim X51v and are very satisfied with it. But although it's supposed to support WPA I've only rarely been able to get it to work. WEP works fine though.

• User profile image
    imekon

Sven Groot said:
    imekon wrote:

I've got a Dell Axim X51v and are very satisfied with it. But although it's supposed to support WPA I've only rarely been able to get it to work. WEP works fine though.

I carried on with my LifeDrive for a couple more years... now I have an iPhone.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.