Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dell to Preinstall Linux on all of its systems and Microsoft on notice

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

Success is the word of the day.  Dell is working with Novell and other Linux distributors to certify their distributions with Dell hardware and Dell will be preinstalling Linux among its entire product line.  So it looks more and more like 2007 is the year of the Linux desktop.  The UbuCon was underway and Ubuntu hackers have said Microsoft has too much of the market and they will be changing that.  Now that Eric Raymond is on the side of Ubuntu and all of the market demand for Linux Ubuntu will be the defacto standard for Linux distributions.  Microsoft is on notice and if they try to laugh it off only one company will be filing Chapter 13 and that will be Microsoft.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

cescotto wrote:

Uh... oh! Somebody hasn't still noticed yet that the dell linux laptops costs more than the same laptops running windows

http://buranen.info/?p=77

By the way why should MS laugh off when they can simply... laugh? Novell certifying the laptop means more business for MS.

The price is not the big deal.  The big deal is that it will have NO MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

This means the systems will be more reliable and impervious to viruses and Malware and customers will have choice.  How many more will follow Dells lead and also preinstall Linux?  Once that happens Windows will be gone.

• User profile image
    cescotto

corona_coder wrote:
    Success is the word of the day.

Yeah, sure Cool

corona_coder wrote:
    Dell is working with Novell and other Linux distributors to certify their distributions with Dell hardware and Dell will be preinstalling Linux among its entire product line.

They're not preinstalling linux, they're CERTIFYING the laptops for running linux. I think you missed the "We don't want to pick one distribution and alienate users with a preference for another." part (no preinstall!).

They will simply put a "novell certified" logo on the laptop or more probably somewhere in the laptop manual and it will be as much useful as the "Yes, it runs netware!" stickers on 486s.

corona_coder wrote:
    So it looks more and more like 2007 is the year of the Linux desktop.

As much as 2006, 2005, 2004 were... sure!

corona_coder wrote:

The UbuCon was underway and Ubuntu hackers have said Microsoft has too much of the market and they will be changing that.

If the "famous" UbuCon says so it will surely happen!

corona_coder wrote:

Now that Eric Raymond is on the side of Ubuntu and all of the market demand for Linux Ubuntu will be the defacto standard for Linux distributions.

Yeah like mandrake was the defacto standard desktop distribution years ago...

corona_coder wrote:
    Microsoft is on notice and if they try to laugh it off only one company will be filing Chapter 13 and that will be Microsoft.

Yeah sure!

Uh... oh! Somebody hasn't still noticed yet that the dell linux laptops costs more than the same laptops running windows Cool

http://buranen.info/?p=77

By the way why should MS laugh off when they can simply... laugh? Novell certifying the laptop means more business for MS.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

My favorite Eric Raymond quote and why Linux will win the desktop:

" I know [there's a] camp that thinks allowing proprietary codecs into Linux distros will corrupt our vital bodily fluids or something. My view is we need to get majority market share so we can crush the proprietary codecs out of existence. If that requires a temporary compromise, I'm for it."

With the preinstallation of Linux on hardware the days of proprietary codecs are numbered.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Do they atleast offer support on their "linux-systems" or is it just a clean box with a Novell/Ubuntu/whatever sticker on it?

• User profile image
    cescotto

ddewbofh wrote:
    Do they atleast offer support on their "linux-systems" or is it just a clean box with a Novell/Ubuntu/whatever sticker on it?

They will probably offer hardware support but since the hardware is OS-less I doubt that they will offer support for the OS/OSes installed on it.

• User profile image
    cescotto

corona_coder wrote:
    My favorite Eric Raymond quote and why Linux will win the desktop:

" I know [there's a] camp that thinks allowing proprietary codecs into Linux distros will corrupt our vital bodily fluids or something. My view is we need to get majority market share so we can crush the proprietary codecs out of existence. If that requires a temporary compromise, I'm for it."

With the preinstallation of Linux on hardware the days of proprietary codecs are numbered.

Hello there? Linux won't be preinstalled, the Dell announcement clearly says that they won't put any distribution on their laptops (to avoid "alienating users" (ha!)).

You will have the same Dell OS-less laptops like before that will still cost a lot more than the same windows-running laptops but this time instead you will have a cool "Novell/Ubuntu/Whatever certified" sticker on them. Isn't this amazing?

The only thing more amazing is how Dell managed to come out with this useless (but smart) idea to escape the "linux pressure" they had on these days without offering nothing concrete.

• User profile image
    cescotto

corona_coder wrote:
    The price is not the big deal.  The big deal is that it will have NO MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

The system will come CERTIFIED to run certain linux distributions. Where do they say that all of their laptop series will come with linux preinstalled? The Dell -N series are OSless versions of their normal series: the hardware is the same.

It's surely a smart move to buy a OS-less laptop that costs MORE (more than the same laptop with windows preinstalled) while you can buy the windows laptop with the same hardware spending less and then you can install linux on it exactly like people do now.

Don't you understand that Dell is simply "cheating" the FLOSS community by having them paying more? If you call this a "big deal"...

Pratically nothing changes, the Dell OS-less laptops were available before and will still be available. This time you pay for a "novell/ubuntu/whatever certified" sticker on your brand new laptop and it will cost you more than the same laptop running windows. This makes you feel good, doesn't it?

corona_coder wrote:

This means the systems will be more reliable and impervious to viruses and Malware and customers will have choice.  How many more will follow Dells lead and also preinstall Linux?

Yeah because linux is bug-less and the hundred of rootkits for linux are just a mirage.

corona_coder wrote:

Once that happens Windows will be gone.

Yeah maybe if you will continue hoping in a few hundred years it will happen.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

cescotto wrote:

ddewbofh wrote: Do they atleast offer support on their "linux-systems" or is it just a clean box with a Novell/Ubuntu/whatever sticker on it?

They will probably offer hardware support but since the hardware is OS-less I doubt that they will offer support for the OS/OSes installed on it.

Figured that even though they won't pre-install an OS on it they'd atleast support the kernel on it. Like provide assistance on which modules to load and support on the hardware they ship. Like "This hardware needs this application" or "This hardware doesn't do this yet" and things like that.

Edit: So Dell is esentially doing what they've been doing for years now, sending out clean boxes, but they call it "Linux certified"? Amazing spin-doctoring.

• User profile image
    cescotto

ddewbofh wrote:

Figured that even though they won't pre-install an OS on it they'd atleast support the kernel on it. Like provide assistance on which modules to load and support on the hardware they ship. Like "This hardware needs this application" or "This hardware doesn't do this yet" and things like that.

As long as I know Dell computers don't have any Dell proprietary hardware so I don't think they'll develop drivers for the hardware but I think that they will instead avoid making available OS-less versions of laptops that lacks the needed linux drivers to get linux distros to work on them.

The certification probably will mean that the distro will be certified to be compatible with those laptops (and nobody knows if dell will guarantee that the "extra" laptop features will work on linux).

ddewbofh wrote:

Edit: So Dell is esentially doing what they've been doing for years now, sending out clean boxes, but they call it "Linux certified"? Amazing spin-doctoring.

From their announcement it looks that they're going to do exactly that.

<Conspiracy Time>
    The reason is that it's probably not convenient for any big hardware manifacturer to sell desktops computers running linux: linux can run with lower hardware requirements (there are distros that scale very well on old hardware (no, ubuntu is not one of those)) and this means fewer new hardware sales for them (people would upgrade less often).

The dream of the hardware producers is to (like Apple does) force you to regularly buy a new computer: windows lets them do that (because windows usually has always higher requirements than the previous versions), with linux they can't.

</Conspiracy Time>

• User profile image
    Chadk

corona_coder wrote:
    Linux Ubuntu will be the defacto standard for Linux distributions.

I laughed.
    Needless to say anymore about this history.
    Dell is not gonna pre-install Linux on computers as "standard". I think its fine if they have the option to go for linux.

Someone pointed out in this thread that a linux pc at dell costed more then the same machine with Windows.. Isnt linux supposed to be free?

• User profile image
    stevo_

Why would anyone buy a Dell to get linux preinstalled? Expressionless

Great that you can buy a Dell with nothing installed, but linux?

• User profile image
    Chadk

stevo_ wrote:
    Why would anyone buy a Dell to get linux preinstalled?

You need to remember. Some people like Linux and swear by it. I respect that. I find Windows to be the best.

If they want a machine pre-installed with linux, go ahead.
    But i dont think that this is gonna by worth anything to the general public.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Chadk wrote:

stevo_ wrote: Why would anyone buy a Dell to get linux preinstalled?

You need to remember. Some people like Linux and swear by it. I respect that. I find Windows to be the best.

If they want a machine pre-installed with linux, go ahead.
    But i dont think that this is gonna by worth anything to the general public.

But they're not announcing computers with linux pre-installed, they're announcing computers certified to run linux on. I'd hoped for pre-installed linux with support options. As it is right now you're better off (financially) buying a box with windows and installing your distro of choice. It's cheaper anyways.

• User profile image
    rcardona

ddewbofh wrote:
    As it is right now you're better off (financially) buying a box with windows and installing your distro of choice. It's cheaper anyways.

Sheesh and I thought buying a Mac was more expensive.  This costs more and you have to install your own OS! LOL

I heard Dell is going to copycat Apple and open their own stores in malls.  I wonder if that will raise the price of their hardware even more.  And what the staff will look like, dress (casual or suits), or talk-like: duuuuude.

• User profile image
    eagle

2007 the year of the Distro WARS!!!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

sirhomer wrote:
    I'm quite happy if Dell completely ignores Linux. Maybe it will let some other up and coming OEMs steal a little marketshare from them.

A store that sells only 1 laptop model which is sold out?

• User profile image
    Steven J Ackerman

As long as you don't use an ATI video card for which Ubuntu Linux support is seriously broken...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.