Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dell to Preinstall Linux on all of its systems and Microsoft on notice

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

A select number of systems will be bundled with FreeDOS and certified to work on multiple Linux distributions. But only the workstation and server systems will have the Linux option.

However, the hardware certification won't really help those who wish to run non-Linux OSes like FreeBSD and Solaris.

Regardless, this is good news for folks who don't wish to pay the Microsoft tax when they dont plan to use Windows.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Regardless, this is good news for folks who don't wish to pay the Microsoft tax when they dont plan to use Windows.

I wish all taxes made things cheaper. Wink

Seriously, isn't it a tad misleading to call it the MS tax, why not just call it what it is? It's an MS system rebate. You get the windows system and you pay less for it.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

rcardona wrote:
    Sheesh and I thought buying a Mac was more expensive.  This costs more and you have to install your own OS! LOL

I heard Dell is going to copycat Apple and open their own stores in malls.  I wonder if that will raise the price of their hardware even more.  And what the staff will look like, dress (casual or suits), or talk-like: duuuuude.

Thats because some of the models are only availible with monitors. I priced one OptiPlex model to as low as $412. That said, they don't seem to be any cheaper than the low-end Windows machines. But you couldn't get a new Intel Mac for less than $599.

I'd say getting a Windows machine might be better buy--since they cost about the same. With Windows install CDs you could easily use it on Linux or BSD via virtualization to run the apps that dont work with Wine, Crossover, or Cedega.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Well it would be a tax, if the non-OS machines where cheaper.

Right now it looks like a Windows discount

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

blowdart wrote:
    Well it would be a tax, if the non-OS machines where cheaper.

Right now it looks like a Windows discount

I should have clarified what I meant.

Even though the systems cost about the same, the buyer--who may hate Microsoft--will not be contributing to their revenue stream and marketshare. The concept of not paying Microsoft anything makes all the difference to them.

Boycotting Microsoft (not contributing to their growth and market penetration) is essentially the main driving force behind these systems.

That is why most people here arn't very interested in these systems while the Linux zealots--who buy Dell systems--might be. If these no-OS systems were substantiouly cheaper then a much broader group of buyers might be interested.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

rcardona wrote:

ddewbofh wrote: As it is right now you're better off (financially) buying a box with windows and installing your distro of choice. It's cheaper anyways.

Sheesh and I thought buying a Mac was more expensive.  This costs more and you have to install your own OS! LOL

I heard Dell is going to copycat Apple and open their own stores in malls.  I wonder if that will raise the price of their hardware even more.  And what the staff will look like, dress (casual or suits), or talk-like: duuuuude.

They already have Kiosks in a lot of malls now.

And the workers there are pretty dumb. It was interesting that I knew more about their products than the salespeople.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Jack Poison wrote:

They already have Kiosks in a lot of malls now.

And the workers there are pretty dumb. It was interesting that I knew more about their products than the salespeople.

Sounds like the stores gateway had in their heyday

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I'm really looking forward to the day when Linux-based OSes are competing in the stores. I miss the days when you had different choices of operating systems, 10-15 years ago you had windows, beos, os/2 and mac os displayed side by side. I believe that competition is good for everyone, it gives the underdog a goal and the one on top a reason to "stay scared". 

However, the way linux-zealots are acting is completely off. You get a loud minority that will accept anything as long as it isn't the competition. The sane FOSS devs realize that and stay out of tiring flamewars and focus on writing good software. 

I've said it many times before, just start focusing on the strong points of your model (the openness and community) and let the closed enviroment do their thing. If you don't like it you can make something better instead of whining on a forum where you'll only end up alienating people from your cause. 

</rant>

• User profile image
    mstefan

Guys, when you feed the trolls, they just keep coming back for more and their ridiculous posts keep getting bumped.

Just say no, and let them sink into oblivion where they belong. If no one rises to take the bait, they'll move along to more fertile waters.

My 2ยข.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

corona_coder wrote:
    I have decided to take my leave of Channel 9.  I will no longer post in this or any other Microsoft sponsored forum.  I dont believe in Microsofts products, developers, or the company itself.  I decided my time will be better served promoting the superior product, Linux, and evangelizing the GPL 3 and giving my input to open source companies.  Open Source, GPL3 and Linux has no place in a Microsoft forum and obviously in Microsoft itself.. 

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=280562#280562

What happened?

• User profile image
    Bas

I guess that promoting the superior product, Linux, and evangelizing the GPL 3 and giving his input to open source companies wasn't as worthwile as posting on a Microsoft forum.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Beer28 to the rescue!!! <- this is a hotlink!
    now the DellIdeaStorm website is subscription-only

maybe someone was cheating on linux stories ?

previously an user could simply clear the cookies and promote the same story  again , and again . . .

in a few minutes anybody could have written a bash script to promote the same story dozens , hundred of times

somebody cheated on those stories and now that the linux stories on the front page stopped growing there is a clear proof for my hypotesis

i`ve not been the only one noticing this

• User profile image
    eblonk

Chadk wrote:
    You need to remember. Some people like Linux and swear by it. I respect that. I find Windows to be the best.

I'm bi-OS, nobody loves me. I need a support group Tongue Out

• User profile image
    eblonk

sirhomer wrote:
    I'm quite happy if Dell completely ignores Linux.

I'd like every hard- and software vendor to do both MS and Linux. But I am a technology lover/freak/geek. Unlike some Wink

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

eblonk wrote:
    I'm bi-OS, nobody loves me. I need a support group

BIOS controls all. Never forget that.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.