Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

What's a "geek"?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I'm getting confused over the term lately...

"Geek" seems to be used more and more in a general purpose. For me it's somebody with knowledge in computer space, who is pushing technology forward...

For you?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier
  • User profile image
    littleguru

TommyCarlier wrote:

Ye. Just because everybody appearing on the Scoble Show seems to be a geek. That's confusing me... Are bloggers always geeks?

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I like the old definition where anyone with an obsession of something was a geek. Tech geeks, musical geeks, linguistic geeks and so on. Thinking of it that way makes me feel like less of a loser. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I don't think so. Technical bloggers are usually geeks, but there are a lot of non-technical bloggers that blog about horsies and stuff.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Ddewbofh (how do you pronounce that?), I agree. The term "geek" usually has a negative connotation, when uttered by non-geeks.

• User profile image
    fdisk

littleguru wrote:

TommyCarlier wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek
    Ye. Just because everybody appearing on the Scoble Show seems to be a geek. That's confusing me... Are bloggers always geeks?
    NO. I would consider software testers, developers or engineers (and maybe a few others) who blog truly "geeks". I used to think "geek" meant somebody in tech who loved to tear things apart and see how they worked. Or they were good in a science or math field. Now it seems like anybody that says "I can sort in Excel!" considers themselves a geek. That's messed up.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Ddewbofh (how do you pronounce that?), I agree. The term "geek" usually has a negative connotation, when uttered by non-geeks.

Heh, it's not meant to be pronounced. Started out as my unix-login and when everyone started demanding a username with more than 6 characters I added my job definition to it (everyone knows what a BOFH is Tongue Out).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier wrote:

If I may, refer to the Jargon File (why hasn't anyone cited it yet?!)

To mee, "real" geeks are members of the hacker subculture, are above nerds and dweebs, and spend their time doing more constructive things than amassing comic-book collections (not a geeky thing in itself, it's only justifiable if you're one of those people who hangs out in alt.religion.batmanology)

And you're not a computing geek unless you've taken a side in the Vi/Emacs wars.

• User profile image
    Bas

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Where I live (and possibly where you live) we have a term for that sort of word. "Geuzen"-name, or a name that is first meant as an insult, but then adopted by the group of people it is meant to apply to, and subsequently turned into a name of pride.I guess it's sort of similar to '(I need to watch my language)' for certain black people, or 'freak' in certain alternative subcultures.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

W3bbo wrote:
    And you're not a computing geek unless you've taken a side in the Vi/Emacs wars.

That's the newer definition I wanted to get rid of, someone who argues over a text-editor is more of a nerd than a geek. I guess my definition of geek is later than the original meaning (circus freaks) but earlier than the "common" definition where a geek is somewhat of an outcast.

PS Vi ftw Tongue Out

:wq

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Bas wrote:
     TommyCarlier wrote: Ddewbofh (how do you pronounce that?), I agree. The term "geek" usually has a negative connotation, when uttered by non-geeks.Where I live (and possibly where you live) we have a term for that sort of word. "Geuzen"-name, or a name that is first meant as an insult, but then adopted by the group of people it is meant to apply to, and subsequently turned into a name of pride.I guess it's sort of similar to '(I need to watch my language)' for certain black people, or 'freak' in certain alternative subcultures.
    Yeah, that's sort of how I meant it. It's an insult that's been turned into a badge of honour by the group it's referring to. And who can deny the awesome writing that is the early stories of "B@stard Operator From Hell"? Smiley

Edit: Appearantly I need to watch my language, hope noone is offended by my obfuscation Smiley

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

If it's initially meant as an insult, and later considered a badge of honour, I would consider "Troll" to be the moronic version of "Geek".

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

TommyCarlier wrote:
    If it's initially meant as an insult, and later considered a badge of honour, I would consider "Troll" to be the moronic version of "Geek".

Edit: Nevermind about that, I misread the thread and began a rant about how BOFH's are clever and brilliant. Guess I'm too self-absorbed. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ddewbofh wrote:
    It depends, I've not seen people produly exclaiming that they're trolls. Besides, being a BOFH takes more cleverness and skill than simple trolling. It's more subtle and ingenious than just pulling stuff from your rear and trying to piss people off with it.

Originally trolls were like the Court Jesters of Usenet, coming up with creative (whilst often irrelevant) but nontheless amusing posts.

Now it's been hijacked by the chavs of the 'net.

• User profile image
    fdisk

TommyCarlier wrote:
    I think the trolls here are quite original and ingenious, however.

Well, most of them.

I dunno about Orbit86, though. lol

Remember folks, don't make your business decisions based on reading an occasional forum post. Do your homework!

• User profile image
    eagle

Generic Forum Image There are your Geeks, in the late '70's nobody wanted to hang out with them, but then they became billionaires and perceptions changed.

• User profile image
    Bas

Why does it appear like Marc McDonald is radiant? In fact, why does everybody look like cardboard cutouts?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.